Author Topic: Sowexotic Nursery Experiences?  (Read 1529 times)

Chica_Sepote

• Bay Area, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
Sowexotic Nursery Experiences?
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:50:33 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has experience ordering from sowexotic.com or thoughts about sowexotic vs. plantogram.

On their website, the x-large burlap pot size claims to be 2-6 feet for prices much cheaper than plantogram.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: Sowexotic Nursery Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:24:29 PM »
I've bought their 4" plants and was satisfied
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »
I had an absolutely terrible experience with sow exotic. The plants were in terrible shape and customer service is poor. The first time I've been sad to receive plants and the first time I've ever had to over prove I was right. I eventually received a refund but never got an apology for their lies, deceit and defensive arrogance.

I don't have any experience with plantogram but I do with everglades.farm. I've ordered 3 trees from everglades.farm now and they have been great. Beautiful trees and great customer service.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:30:11 PM by mattyboydesigns »

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:41:09 PM »
I just received my Makok Sapodilla from Sowexotic and I'm pretty disappointed. It has 7 leaves all with red spots and blotches. I'm wondering if it is a bacterial infection. I took some pictures and emailed them as soon as I opened the box. I took a gamble ordering from them because I couldn't find that variety anywhere online.  Any thoughts on how to nurse it back to health?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
Sow Exotic has some unusual rare plants.  I have ordered several and been quite happy with the plants when received.  They have some others that I "need" and will be ordering them soon.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 06:28:52 PM »
I’ve ordered from them once and didn’t have any issues. They do have some unique things you can’t find elsewhere.

GreatLakesRareFruit

• In search of the rarest fruit worth eating.
    • Illinois, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 03:45:31 PM »
I ordered quite a lot from them last year. Almost everything is severely rootbound, and most of what I ordered was stunted and didn't grow at all over an entire year, and then died just as their 1 year guarantee ran out.

1 canistel variety, 1 ice cream bean, and 2 stunted red jabos are all I have left from that garbage nursery. I've got over 1000 trees and vines that are thriving, so I know it probably wasn't me that killed these plants.

Stay far away from Sow Exotic.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »
Well. In terms of size they are the Logees of the south:relatively small plants for relatively high prices. Packing is no the best there and neither is their shipping.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 05:34:45 AM »
I purchased a couple of items from them in the past, most recently a yellow muntingia and a jamaican mint. The muntingia was in great shape (better conditions than a lot of sellers items on, say, etsy that are half-dead when they get here), meanwhile the mint had been packed insecurely and came loose from its soil (and died) during transit. I sent a picture to their customer service and got a refund for the mint.

Haven't tried them again yet.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
Pretty hit or miss with them. I've gotten some plants from them years ago and their packaging was straight up trash. Plants becoming loose mid shipment roots exposed. Don't order too much from them lately but they seem to have gotten better usually when buying the bigger sized plants. Ive only ordered from plant o gram a few times but the trees were always good quality and size.

vin1

• Irvine, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 09:43:32 PM »
I bought a Biew Kiew longan tree from them. The tree is solid with a trunk over an inch across. The tree was well prepped for shipping and has already pushed new growth since I bought it 2.5 months ago. One oddity is they used a burlap sack instead of a pot. Perhaps this might be bad for a tree with sensitive roots, but the longan did fine in the sack (set in a pot) for a few weeks outside.

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 12:11:48 AM »
I recently ordered a bunch of fruit trees from them. The packaging was pretty great, the plants arrived in a good shape, but they are small. Their "medium coir" planter has probably 5 inch plants max. Plantogram is more expensive, but there were options to get bigger plants.

I also ordered Ceylon gooseberry from them because their website said it was self-fertile. When I started researching additional care info, I found out that it's actually not, and if a plant happens to be a hermaphrodite, it needs to be propagated by grafting. But their website says they've grown it from seed. I sent an email a few days ago to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 07:33:30 PM »
Speaking of Sowexotic, I tried messaging them about something but never heard back. I'll try here. I bought a sugar apple from them a few years ago and some other plant must of came along in the dirt and has been growing since I bought the tree. Anybody have any idea what this is? I thought some kind of lily at first but I've never seen those red nodules thing before.

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 08:00:34 PM »
I have ordered from them 3 or 4 times in the past 12 months. Shipping has been excellent, plants where healthy, and prices are reasonable. I've taken a look more recently and It seems like they are lowering prices too.

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
My 'Picture This' app says it's Tiger Lily :)

Speaking of Sowexotic, I tried messaging them about something but never heard back. I'll try here. I bought a sugar apple from them a few years ago and some other plant must of came along in the dirt and has been growing since I bought the tree. Anybody have any idea what this is? I thought some kind of lily at first but I've never seen those red nodules thing before.