Author Topic: Late Cold Snap kick start Mango panicles?  (Read 734 times)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Late Cold Snap kick start Mango panicles?
« on: April 10, 2022, 06:05:14 AM »
This morning here, April 10, 2022, our temp has dropped to 43 degrees.  We are in a cold microclimate in Lakeland and it has been low 40's for several hours.  In that our season has been a bust from the previous bad weather here causing the loss of panicles on most of our trees, does anyone think this might be enough to force a late bloom for the Mango trees or is one night not enough to make a difference?  Now down to 42.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Late Cold Snap kick start Mango panicles?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »
I doubt it, unless you have one of the varieties that are extra-sensitive to weather changes. I'm probably wrong and leaving some out, but off the top of my head those would be Rosa, Dwarf Hawaiian, NDM, Rosiegold....

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »
I wish.  I am hoping for the same thing but I believe you need multiple nights of low temperatures.
Will the night time temperatures be in the 50s for the next 2 or 3 nights or are they back up to 65?

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 06:47:33 AM »
I wish.  I am hoping for the same thing but I believe you need multiple nights of low temperatures.
Will the night time temperatures be in the 50s for the next 2 or 3 nights or are they back up to 65?

Sounds like you might have significantly below normal panicle production as well, Akin. I am sorry to hear that.

Actually, the morning before yesterday, we did drop into the upper 40's and this morning we are sitting at 48 right now.  I am just amazed that with us sitting at a spot that is lower than surrounding properties by about 100 feet, the cold air tends to collect so significantly.  With any cold weather, we tend to be at least 5 to 7 degrees lower than the Lakeland, FL readings. 

It will be interesting to see if any panicle development occurs over the next few weeks with any of my trees.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »
I have zero panicles on my mangos this year. Two went through with christmas lights and a heat lamp and have most of their leaves still, 2 are just barely starting to flush out despite being wrapped in blankets and my potted one, well I am happy it at least has leaves. But no mangos at this point :( I am hoping the weird weather might cause a late bloom. Not sure what else I can do during cold weather. Im in far east Orlando for reference

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk