Author Topic: HLB  (Read 354 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
HLB
« on: April 07, 2023, 10:34:51 PM »
I'm in LA and have a lemon and orange tree.   don't have the HLB disease but read an article in fruit growers mag about the Australian finger lime plant and how it's immune to HLB. 
So the question is if I graft a scion from this Australian tree on to the orange and lemon.  Will the lemon and orange become resistant to the HLB??   When you graft is it kind of like a blood transfusion where proteins from the Lime ooze into the orange and lemon making them resistant,  I hope?
Just a wishful thought

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: HLB
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
I'm in LA and have a lemon and orange tree.   don't have the HLB disease but read an article in fruit growers mag about the Australian finger lime plant and how it's immune to HLB. 
So the question is if I graft a scion from this Australian tree on to the orange and lemon.  Will the lemon and orange become resistant to the HLB??   When you graft is it kind of like a blood transfusion where proteins from the Lime ooze into the orange and lemon making them resistant,  I hope?
Just a wishful thought

Unfortunately it does not work that way.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
Re: HLB
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 01:34:38 AM »
the benefit of grafting finger limes onto other citrus would be to facilitate cross-pollination.  perhaps some of the seedlings would be the best of both worlds.  some scientists are already working on this.  here's the youtube video...breeding and growing citrus from seed to overcome a deadly disease.

they used pomelo as the mother plant because other citrus varieties would produce identical offspring.  is that why they didn't use the australian citrus as the mother?  sadly neither the video or article showed what the hybrid fruit looks like.  does anyone have any pics or videos?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk