Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Shortest Growing Season Citrus

<< < (3/4) > >>

pagnr:
I have only tried Kabosu in Japan, store bought fruit.
These were still green, maybe golf ball sized and half hard.
Thought it had bitter lemon flavour. ( We used to get cans of Soda, soft drinks in Australia with this flavour years ago ).

jim VH, sounds like you are talking about fully ripe fruit ??
Sounds more interesting now.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: Peep on July 20, 2022, 04:06:43 PM ---I thought that sudachi is significantly less cold hardy than yuzu? Still better than most citrus, but closer to the level of a satsuma?

--- End quote ---
From my testing 2 hours north of jim VH, it seems like Sudachi has close to the same level of absolute cold tolerance. But Yuzu is a more vigorous grower and can more easily recover from damage. The Sudachi and most of the Yuzu plants finally died after being exposed to a brief temperature drop to 9 °F, even though the rest of the winter wasn't that cold. They had previously survived a quick drop down to between 12 and 14° a previous winter, with only slight to moderate damage.

Kevin Jones:
Kishu, Owari and Brown's Select are all excellent Fall ripening citrus for me.
Central Alabama.
Excellent eating quality too.

Kevin

kumin:
Interesting video on indoor/outdoor semi-commercial Yuzu growers in New Jersey. The daughter has put her new skills to good use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwTc5929U5g

jim VH:
Hi Peep,
     Based on my experience, the Sudachi and Yuzu are of comparable hardiness.  Both my large ten year old plants plants easily survived 8F (-13.3C) with only small twig damage, with other lows of 12F, 13F and 14F, during an extended freeze in January 2017 when the temperature stayed below freezing for over 110 hours.

Socal, judging by the pictures in your other thread, I suspect your plants succumbed because they were just too small.  I generally protect my plants from extreme cold for about three years, till the main trunk diameter is about the same diameter as my thumb (the 'rule of thumb':) and they are relatively bushy.  The larger size, and the protective effects of the larger canopy, gives them the energy they need to survive future cold snaps, which are relatively infrequent in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.

Pagnr,  Yes, I was talking about fully ripe Kabosu.  I do know that both Sudachi and Kabosu used in Ponzu sauce are used green, the Yuzu being used ripe(?).  Based on my taste test, the Sudachi has better flavor when green.  The Kabosu, the difference between green and ripe is not so clearcut, possibly because the ripe Kabosu is sweeter than either Yuzu or Kabosu. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version