Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 953 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Coffee
« on: August 25, 2022, 11:26:12 PM »
I know everyone grows coffee for the beans.  But, does any coffee produce fruit that is pleasantly edible?  Would be nice to have a plant with a dual purpose.

vin1

• Irvine, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:39:46 PM »
Coffee cherries have very little pulp/flesh. The skin is edible though but it's best used for making tea.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:43:46 AM »
The fruit taste reminds me of a cooked onion with sugar. it's an odd savory taste. Maybe with natural drying or fermentation it may taste differently,  or under the influence of miracle fruit 9t may taste better but for me it's more of a curiosity. Perhaps there are some better tasting varieties out there.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 03:34:32 AM »
It's one of those traits that likely almost no one has tried to select for at any scale given the value of the seeds.

Coffee cherries have very little pulp/flesh. The skin is edible though but it's best used for making tea.

Word. Good cascara/ qishr (from a farm drying the fruit for that purpose and not tossing it in a moldy fermentation pile first) is delicious with a slice of ginger, reminds me of tamarind very slightly.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 12:11:49 PM »
If nobody was there to stop me I would regularly eat the pulp off the coffee cherries at school. But I also eat the flesh off of our native holly leaf cherries. Both have very little flesh to seed but are enjoyable

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
The ones I've tasted have had little flavor to speak of, but were sweet. Depending on ripeness you could even eat the seed.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »
Even selected varietals that are very sweet just kind of have a meh undertone for me.

Any fruit is edible, it's just how much you enjoy it. If you don't mind the undertones, you will be happy eating the cherries anyways.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »
I have a few arabica plants that are just starting to flower.  I was looking forward to trying the fruit, and in my head I was thinking the raw seed would be soft enough to eat... but since reading it sounds hard like a nut and probably gross tasting.  Oh well, I will probably ditch them once I try the fruit.  I have tried every type of roasted coffee beans, from super fancy freshly-roasted to costco to cheapo stuff and I can't much tell the difference... the only thing that seems to matter is the roast (light/med/dark) 

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 08:02:24 AM »
I forget exactly where i seen it i think it might of been one of ther "weird fruit explorer" youtube videos, but the people said you eat the fruit for the nut not the flesh. I forget the country he was in at the time but ya i guess its apparently the best part but im sure thats all subjective lol.
Bill

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »
One of the coffee species I have is Red Catuai.  I enjoy eating the flesh for they are semi-sweet. Then I process the beans for later roasting.

vin1

• Irvine, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 03:15:15 PM »
To be precise, Catuai is a cultivar of Coffea Arabica.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 09:39:42 PM »
I think coffee cherries taste like slightly sweetened celery. 

Whenever I start new coffee plants from seed in my greenhouse, I select seeds that are very plump with as much pulpas  I can find.

I can confirm that after four generations of selective breeding for the flesh, I have achieved no appreciable difference in the amount of pulp. Hasn't hurt the seeds, though.

I'll get back to you in another hundred generations...

Carolyn

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 03:36:38 PM »
Not the berries but along similar lines for dual use of coffee plants, traditionally the leaves are dried and made into a tea in some places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee-leaf_tea .

I've had it a couple of times and found it pleasant. Sort of an earthy green tea flavor.