Author Topic: Selling rare seeds: Amay!, Guabiroba, Aguaí, Guaporetí and Orange COTRG,etc!  (Read 7874 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Orders and Reservations: marcospcmusica gmail.com 

List of species and prices:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ba0iLzeia6R2Wry1IZd8RABU25il08_JTFhH158nTmA/edit#gid=0

The spring/summer 2022/2023 season has started here in Argentina, and my pickers find themselves searching for rare fruits everywhere at Misiones. The rains have not been good, but still several trees bore fruit again, and we hope to get new species or varieties too.

For the first time, we found sweet aguaí at Misiones! it seems to be Chrysophylum viride (good to eat raw), not C. gonocarpum (good but just to do jams, etc.).

Uses: It fruits in the middle of the spring at Misiones. The fruits are yellow, soft pulp with a very good flavor and can be enjoyed raw or in juices.

Characteristics: 6 to 7 m tall when cultivated, reaching 15 to 15 meters in height in the forest, with a very dense rounded crown with 4 to 8 m in diameter. The trunk has dark brown or gray bark, and is finely fissured near the branches.  The flowers are born in fascicles (small bundles) axillary (at the junction of the leaf with the branch) or cauliflorous (born on young, recently defoliated branches) with tufts of numerous spiked buds (with a thin and sharp tip) of greenish color and petals. cream colored lowercase. The fruits are rounded berries 1.5 to 2.7 cm in diameter.

Growing tips: Moderate growing tree that resists low temperatures (up to -6º C) and can be grown at any altitude. It likes deep, moist, acidic or neutral soil, with a sandy or clayey constitution (red or gray or black soil). The tree is drought resistant and can withstand up to 6 months without rain. It starts to bear fruit 5 to 6 years after planting.

Seedlings: The seeds are flat, brownish, little bigger than a bean and retain their germination power for up to 6 months. They must be planted in a substrate rich in organic matter; Germination occurs in 30 to 60 days. The seedlings reach 30 cm with 8 to 9 months after germination; and they can be formed both in the sun and in the shade.

Planting: It can be planted in full sun as in forests or in permanent preservation reforestations. Spacing 7 x 7 on very fertile soils or 5 x 5 m on weaker soils. The pit must be 40 cm in three dimensions and be prepared by mixing 25% sand and 1 kg of ash and 8 kg of organic matter with the surface soil. Irrigate every fifteen days for the first 3 months, then only if there is no water at the time of flowering.

Cultivating: Make only crown formation pruning and eliminate the branches that grow at the base of the trunk and branches that grow into the crown. Fertilize with organic compost, it can be 4 kg of well-tanned poultry litter + 50 gr of N-P-K 10-10-10, doubling this amount every year until the 3rd year. Always distribute nutrients on spring and irrigate a lot if there is no rain after fertilization.

Updated 18/10/22, Peruvian jaboticaba is out of stock for now.

We started with jaboticaba of Peruvian origin just like last year, with larger fruits. We have analyzed the fruits and leaves and they bear some resemblance to Myrciaria coronata and Cauliflora. We still don't know what species it really is, but I see the leaves as more similar to the coronata.

It is a fairly rare species for Misiones, where similar but not identical jaboticabas abound.

We will be taking reservations for this rare species from today, but the shipment to my partner in the USA and subsequent redistribution will be at the end of October approx. Now it's time to do a great job of bureaucratic procedures, phytosanitary certificate and comply with international standards for anti-fungal treatment and that kind of things.

On the other hand, we are looking for the Orange COTRG, which we know has borne fruit but is difficult to locate. We will have news soon.

Peruvian jaboticaba, Plinia sp.: (OUT OF STOCK)

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Rare jaboticaba from Perú & ORANGE COTRG FOUND!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 01:54:54 PM »
I will receive the fruits of orange COTRG in a few days,
We are taking reservations for the super rare orange COTRG to ship worldwide.

I already received the peruvian jaboticaba ones (almost all sold, just selling outside USA)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
What exactly is Orange Cotrg? How long does it take from seed to fruit?
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »

It is Cherry of the Rio Grande with orange skin. I have some of these from Marcos and they took about 2.5 years to fruit. They look very similar to CORG eugenia involcrata but the growth habit is quite different - less tree like, more bush like. Their trunks are much smaller than comparable CORGs I grew during the same time. They are a lot sweeter, but at the same time lack complexity. I need to try them again next year as you can't judge a plant on its first fruits. It is a keeper though.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »

It is Cherry of the Rio Grande with orange skin. I have some of these from Marcos and they took about 2.5 years to fruit. They look very similar to CORG eugenia involcrata but the growth habit is quite different - less tree like, more bush like. Their trunks are much smaller than comparable CORGs I grew during the same time. They are a lot sweeter, but at the same time lack complexity. I need to try them again next year as you can't judge a plant on its first fruits. It is a keeper though.

I agree!

peanutbutter

• chiangmai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 08:20:54 PM »
hello can i order seed direct from you please i dont know how to use webside
my phone number +66942966963 my email ;ssiriprapachanjit@gmail.com
can i have
Peruvian jaboticaba | 20
Orange COTRG  |  20
Jaboticaba Serrana Eldorado | 10
Eugenia uniflora (Black pitanga, Eldorado) | 10
Eugenia uniflora (Dark red pitanga, Oberá) | 10
Eugenia uniflora (Big red pitanga, Eldorado) | 10

need *certificate* and NON GMO doc
please mail to SOMO TECH .CO.LTD

Tax number 0505561001464
Address House No.241/2 moo11
Baan Huay Siao
Sub-district Nam Phrae
Hang Dong ,Chiang mai 50230
Call 0942966963

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
Any info on cold tolerance for Orange COTRG? I'm interested, but our desert winters do dip down to slightly above to slightly below freezing at times.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »
hello can i order seed direct from you please i dont know how to use webside

No problem, just mail me at marcospcmusica@gmail.com

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »
Any info on cold tolerance for Orange COTRG? I'm interested, but our desert winters do dip down to slightly above to slightly below freezing at times.

No problem in that case

-6º C or -7º C should be fine, regards

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »
Cool, I'll shoot you an email.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »

My cherry of the rio grande doesn't blink at 28f-30f. Usually a bit of spring defoliation after a cold winter but no frying of leaves or anything. I think I'm going to leave my orange CORG outside of the greenhouse this winter.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Psidium salutare and ORANGE COTRG FOUND, etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 06:40:49 AM »
About P. salutare, arazape:

We found it at Mar del Plata Sierras (small mountains, the altitude is 200 to 300 meters above sea level.). It grows between the rocks, between the grass, full sun.  The roots are very deep and grow slowly. Well-drained soil rich in organic matter is needed. But it also grows in the Misiones jungle or in the grasslands of Córdoba and Entre Ríos, among other places. It is always at the height of the grass and blends in with the undergrowth.
The taste is very good, one of the best Psidium without a doubt.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »
Thank you for that information.  I have a P. salutare planted at my farm and forgot to hook it up on irrigation in the spring.  The plant survived all year through multiple heat waves without any supplemental water. I am in a grassland ecotype so it sounds similar to its natural habitat. Cool!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 03:16:56 PM »
Thank you for that information.  I have a P. salutare planted at my farm and forgot to hook it up on irrigation in the spring.  The plant survived all year through multiple heat waves without any supplemental water. I am in a grassland ecotype so it sounds similar to its natural habitat. Cool!

wow yes, so it is difficult to grow if you are watering all the time! thanks for reporting.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
Taking orders

We also found sweet aguaí (Chrysophyllum viride) and Guaporetí (Plinia rivularis)!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: arazape, aguaí, guaporetí and ORANGE COTRG FOUND, etc.!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 07:47:27 PM »
For the first time, we found sweet aguaí at Misiones! it seems to be Chrysophylum viride (good to eat raw), not C. gonocarpum (good but just to do jams, etc.).

Uses: It fruits in the middle of the spring at Misiones. The fruits are yellow, soft pulp with a very good flavor and can be enjoyed raw or in juices.

Characteristics: 6 to 7 m tall when cultivated, reaching 15 to 15 meters in height in the forest, with a very dense rounded crown with 4 to 8 m in diameter. The trunk has dark brown or gray bark, and is finely fissured near the branches.  The flowers are born in fascicles (small bundles) axillary (at the junction of the leaf with the branch) or cauliflorous (born on young, recently defoliated branches) with tufts of numerous spiked buds (with a thin and sharp tip) of greenish color and petals. cream colored lowercase. The fruits are rounded berries 1.5 to 2.7 cm in diameter.

Growing tips: Moderate growing tree that resists low temperatures (up to -6º C) and can be grown at any altitude. It likes deep, moist, acidic or neutral soil, with a sandy or clayey constitution (red or gray or black soil). The tree is drought resistant and can withstand up to 6 months without rain. It starts to bear fruit 5 to 6 years after planting.

Seedlings: The seeds are flat, brownish, little bigger than a bean and retain their germination power for up to 6 months. They must be planted in a substrate rich in organic matter; Germination occurs in 30 to 60 days. The seedlings reach 30 cm with 8 to 9 months after germination; and they can be formed both in the sun and in the shade.

Planting: It can be planted in full sun as in forests or in permanent preservation reforestations. Spacing 7 x 7 on very fertile soils or 5 x 5 m on weaker soils. The pit must be 40 cm in three dimensions and be prepared by mixing 25% sand and 1 kg of ash and 8 kg of organic matter with the surface soil. Irrigate every fifteen days for the first 3 months, then only if there is no water at the time of flowering.

Cultivating: Make only crown formation pruning and eliminate the branches that grow at the base of the trunk and branches that grow into the crown. Fertilize with organic compost, it can be 4 kg of well-tanned poultry litter + 50 gr of N-P-K 10-10-10, doubling this amount every year until the 3rd year. Always distribute nutrients on spring and irrigate a lot if there is no rain after fertilization.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 02:41:19 PM »
Amazing Ubajays from Misiones

The fruit is good when really ripe, very good for jams and icecreams.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 12:48:34 AM »
We will have just 50 more COTRG for quick shipping from the USA, and then maybe more (but they will take longer to arrive), you can reserve now.