Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Can you grow Marang in Florida?

(1/8) > >>

Alleycat:
Hi, I was wondering if you can grow Marang in Florida and where can you buy the tree?

Finca La Isla:
Iím wondering that too.
We have marang, champedek, pedalai, producing right now at our farm in CR.
Really great fruit!
Peter

cmichael258:
I'm trying. I have 2 small ones...1 from Costa Rica and the other from Borneo (both seedlings).
They have survived 2 Winters with no damage albeit we haven't had any real low temps.

murahilin:

--- Quote from: Alleycat on September 21, 2020, 08:34:57 PM ---Hi, I was wondering if you can grow Marang in Florida and where can you buy the tree?

--- End quote ---

I think it is possible. I've seen a few over 10ft+ tall survive outdoors for a few winters. They may still be alive right now but I haven't checked in a few years.

Also, a friend in Miami sent me a pic of his pedalai flowering outdoors this year so I think it's probably possible with marang as well.

I'm not sure who is selling the trees but you can probably check Excalibur or just order some seeds online. Puerto Rico may have some nurseries that ship who grow the trees.

Mike T:
People seem to prefer the Philipine marangs here to the Boreo ones and they do seem sweeter quite often. I wonder if they have extra cold tolerance that would make them a better option in Florida. Sour marangs used in cooking in Vietnam may also be an option that has a difference in cold tolerance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version