Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Avocado 24/7 Thread

(1/136) > >>

LEOOEL:
I've been trying for some years now to find mango and avocado cultivars, so that I'll have ripe fruit of either/both species year round. And now, I think I've found a way.

The tricky months in my Zone 10b, when there are no mangos or avocados, are somewhat fuzzy to say for sure. Based on my observations, they are either January to April, or March to April. I guess the weather plays a lot into it.

Ok, here it is.

Mangos:

I've been eating Rosy-Gold mangos sine March 1, 2013. I'm trying to fnd out if I fertilize, say in November, whether I can start eating mangos next February, we'll see.

Avocados:

I went to the Fruit & Spice Park on March 1, 2013, to check out the different varieties of avocado trees.

Only the Lula avocado tree variety had any, and it was just about full of them. Considering, that the tree size looked to me like a medium sized young tree, of about 20 feet tall.
About half the avocado fruit exibited a 70% green color, with the remaining 30% of the fruit exibiting a somewhat brownish/callus coloration. I suspect this had to do with the cold temperatures of the winter season.
The other half of the avocado fruit was about 40% green and 60% brownish/callus coloration.

To the touch, all the fruit felt super hard. As if they had been somehow mummified by the cold temperatures and rendered unedible. Although, on the ground, under the tree, there was half of an avocado that had obviously just been split open. The flesh looked green, even colored, and for a split second I was tempted to taste it, but of course, no way.

I went again to the Park on March 23, to check on the Lula avocado tree. This time, it only had one avocado left on the tree.
There was a Park employee nearby and I was lucky enough that I was allowed to pick this last Lula avocado from the tree. It was very hard to the touch. I took it home to let it ripen and soften.
Yesterday, March 27, 2013, it was soft and I ate it, and also shared it. I couldn't believe I was eating an avocado that I picked from a tree, at this time of year.

Well, I would have preferred the seed to be a little smaller, in relation to the rest of the size of the fruit.
About the  thickness of the flesh, well, I would have preferred it to have been thicker, in relation to the rest of the size of the fruit.
The color, again, I would have preferred it to be greener.
The size, larger than a Hass avocado, I would say medium sized.
And, the taste, although I liked it, I think regular season avocado probably tastes somewhat better.

But I must say, taking into consideration that I was eating an avocado that was just picked off a tree, way out of season, believe me, I was a happy camper and any complaints were the furthest thing from my mind.

Well, there you have it. I've found an avocado cultivar, Lula, that crossess into the mango season, with the Rosy-Gold mango cultivar.
Therefore, the goal of 'Mango OR Avocado, 24/7' is then accomplished.

Nevertheless, I think there has to be a higher quality avocado cultivar that could replace the Lula variety in this effort.
Possibly an avocado cultivar from California. In California they really have avocados year round. I don't see why the same thing cannot be accomplished in South Florida, USA.

bsbullie:
 ::)

bradflorida:
The University of Florida, in its publication "Avocado growing in the Florida home landscape", lists the Kampong variety as producing fruit from Dec 1 to March 31.  I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this though.

Brad

bradflorida:
What about the avocados that I see now in the supermarket, from the Dominican Republic?  Perhaps you could find out the variety name, and see if it would grow here in Florida also.

Brad

digigarden:

--- Quote from: bradflorida on March 29, 2013, 07:35:26 AM ---What about the avocados that I see now in the supermarket, from the Dominican Republic?  Perhaps you could find out the variety name, and see if it would grow here in Florida also.

Brad

--- End quote ---

probably semil34

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version