Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Avocado seed growing

(1/3) > >>

Ado:
Anyone growing avocado from seed and experience this? Avocado pit turning black and breaking off? Is this normal or cause for concern?!

Rajski15:
The question is, is it only the pit? what does the rest of the plant look like?
Any shoots/ roots?

If there is nothing else and its just the pit and this is what it looks like then im afraid its time to try again as this one is no good.

The avocado seeds that ive grown have all kept the pit even as they grew into small trees, they did all turn a very dark black.

Ado:
The tree looks fine. I grafted it once and it failed and grew a new shoot. it's a zutano seed. I have a gem graft and the same thing happened. It seems to be growing fine for now. But other grafts this hasn't happened. Don't know if it's normal process or Im over watering or some disease. There seems to be some really small insects on it.

Orkine:
Are you going to cut off one of those stalks after you retry tour graft?

That will be a very narrow crutch angle if you kept both.  Not sure if that works well for avocado.
On most trees, I would graft both and remove whichever is weaker or doe snot take and retain just on main stem from which a better shaped tree can be formed.

SplorKeLZ:

--- Quote from: Ado on December 03, 2023, 08:34:25 PM ---Anyone growing avocado from seed and experience this? Avocado pit turning black and breaking off? Is this normal or cause for concern?!

--- End quote ---
this is very normal for many plants once they reach a certain age, not sure abt avocado though. on my jackfruit this was fine. it is usually a normal part of the plants life when it loses its cotyledon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version