Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Avocado seed growing

<< < (2/3) > >>

drymifolia_again:
That's normal for avocados. I've grown a few hundred avocados from seed, and among those it usually happens between 9 months and 2 years from seed, where the seed remnant (actually the cotyledon) shrivels and falls off.

It isn't related to the cotyledon issue, bit the plant in that photo looks like it needs more light and a larger pot.

Ado:
Thanks for the feedback.

I was planning on cutting off one shoot but now I might graft both and cut off the weaker one.

And you are good. It does in fact need light and bigger pot. I left on a vacay and came back and it had grown very thin and tall. I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

drymifolia_again:

--- Quote from: Ado on December 04, 2023, 04:20:48 PM --- I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

--- End quote ---

For avocados in particular, I've found the deep & narrow pots work really well, much better than standard 1 gal nursery pots (what yours looks like, and what I started out using a few years ago). My two favorite right now are Steuwe deepots (D60H) and Steuwe "Tall One" treepots (TP414). You can really cram a lot of seeds into a small area and the roots develop like crazy, with less soil per pot than the standard 1-gal (at least the deepots, the treepots are about the same). Here's what my seed germination area looks like this time of year:

What the roots typically look like on a deepot-grown tree by around 9 months from seed, when I pot them up (notice this one still has half the seed/cotyledon, the other half had recently shriveled and fallen off):

Ado:
Wow those are some serious roots. I've thought about those deep pots but everyone says avocado  roots like to spread. Do you see any issues after up potting? Or since you have tons of roots they spread out quickly after transplanting?

fishie:

--- Quote from: drymifolia_again on December 04, 2023, 05:42:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ado on December 04, 2023, 04:20:48 PM --- I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

--- End quote ---

For avocados in particular, I've found the deep & narrow pots work really well, much better than standard 1 gal nursery pots (what yours looks like, and what I started out using a few years ago). My two favorite right now are Steuwe deepots (D60H) and Steuwe "Tall One" treepots (TP414). You can really cram a lot of seeds into a small area and the roots develop like crazy, with less soil per pot than the standard 1-gal (at least the deepots, the treepots are about the same). Here's what my seed germination area looks like this time of year:

What the roots typically look like on a deepot-grown tree by around 9 months from seed, when I pot them  ; ;DDup (notice this one still has half the seed/cotyledon, the other half had recently shriveled and fallen off):

--- End quote ---

Did you go from the D40 to D60? I picked up some D40s and do like the space savings from these pots. I believe I heard about it from you. Do you up pot from the TP414? Or into the ground at that point?

I have some of the taller ones if you want to try, Louie  ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version