Author Topic: Minneola x Meyer lemon  (Read 1138 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Minneola x Meyer lemon
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
I came across this hybrid in a market labeled as 'orange lemon'. The rind smell, color and top bell shape seem like minneola (hard to see the bell) and the bottom point and size and fruit taste is definitely Meyer lemon. This is a hardy hybrid. I haven't seen the tree but it is local and it has gotten frosty in the teens in recent years.. the crop was a decent amount. Basically a Meyer lemon with orange color rind. I don't like Meyers that much but am curious what these F3 seeds will produce, hopefully pollinated by something other than a lemon!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:32:49 AM by 850FL »

Sunmicroman

• USA, Oregon, Gladstone, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Minneola x Meyer lemon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »
That is a pretty cool hybrid. I think growing out a few seedlings might produce some interesting results. I planted a few seeds from a store bought Meyer Lemon many years ago and now have a Citremon tree (tentatively named the "Picone" Citremon, it has trifoliate leaves, so I know there is PT in the mix) that has proved very hardy to frost and the cold damp winter conditions we have in the Pacific NW. It hasn't fruited yet, but am hopeful the fruit will be an edible quality (Meyer lemon is a hybrid to begin with, so my Citremon will be a nice complex hybrid). I would be curious to find out what the results are from any seeds you germinate from that fruit you have. Again cool fruit.
Founder of the original "Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board" in 1997

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 01:01:18 PM »
Wow they must have had some overgrown rootstocks blooming in that orchard, lol.
As for the orange Meyer.. it may actually have been crossed with a satsuma or related tangerine.. but still possibly minneola. Rind did smell like minneola, just not sure if a minn x Meyer hybrid is even possible?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »
It is completely possible. Far more distantly related citrus have been hybridized.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »
It is completely possible. Far more distantly related citrus have been hybridized.
I wasn't too sure about compatibility if most citrus can hybridize freely easily.. I guess they do share pomelo and reticulata genes anyway

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »
This is very interesting, and something I would love to try.  Having grown many citrus varieties, I have noticed that there is a very pronounced floral smell that seems unique to both meyer lemon and minneola tangelo (and no others).  It never occured to me that they might be closely related but I guess that could explain it.