Author Topic: Crazy warm December is pushing new growth.  (Read 818 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Crazy warm December is pushing new growth.
« on: December 28, 2021, 05:37:47 PM »
It has been unseasonably warm here in December. Lows in the 50s, and highs in the upper 70s. A couple of our trees are pushing new growth, and I even saw some tiny blossoms. Most of the fruit is on the tree still, and I haven't fertilized at all. Am sure we will have some winter in Jan and Feb.

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy warm December is pushing new growth.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »
My white sapote, and mulberries are all flowering and fruiting. Same here lows of like 55 and highs of high 70s

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 09:25:49 PM »
I got a few blooms on my Minneola I planted during the Summer.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 10:26:28 PM »
It's been warm in the Southeast. On the West coast however, especially in the Northwest, it has been colder than normal. A low pressure zone sucked in cold air from up north in the interior of Canada. There were 3 days in a row where the daytime temperature never rose above freezing. For comparative reference, usually if there is cold spell the temperatures will at least mostly remain slightly above freezing. We got 6 inches of snow, which is a little unusual this early in the year. Usually that much snow does not fall until late January or very early February. Many years there is no snow that actually stays on the ground.

But I do remember one year where the Southeast got that terrible polar vortex, and many people's citrus were killed, while meanwhile in the Northwest on New Years Day it was unseasonably warm and camellia bushes were in partial bloom, and there was even a rose bush that seemed to be trying to send out a new bloom. That year the trunks of the Basjoo ornamental banana plants in people's yards did not even die to the ground.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 10:31:52 PM by SoCal2warm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk