Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Introduce Yourself

<< < (349/360) > >>

Abirkett2:
Hey there, I'm Andrew.

Once upon a time I was a marketing student at the University of Florida. At the time I was creating and a company making board games and comic books, which I funded on Kickstarter. I even developed and produced my own game designs and wrote a few novels, too.

Since that didn't pay the bills, somehow I ended up working starting a new division of my family's ornamental plant and tree farm in Christmas, FL right outside of Orlando. I was supposed to only stay a few months as the general manager overseeing the new farm endeavor (Regenerated Sabal Palms). That was in April 2019. I'm still here. I quickly learned that I enjoyed and missed being outdoors (as well as that I like working with my family) so I never left. Though, I also realized that I care a lot more about plants I can eat than palm trees.

So I started Froot Farms: an edible plant nursery, compost site, and apiary on my family's 115-acre property. It's been a wild ride the last few years, but I'm excited to be learning a lot. Even though I'm a third generation farmer I had never grafted a tree prior to starting Froot Farms. I'm really enjoying going down the rabbit hole that is Jaboticaba and some other rare tropical plants.

Growing up my dad used to always stress that I had to go to college so I wouldn't have to do landscaping when I grew up. Ironically, college did just that--I don't have to do landscaping or be a grower. I chose to.

mangomania:
Hi!
I'm James and am currently living in the Bay Area, California. Nice to meet you all here! I joined to get people's insights into where I can buy more quality fruits. I'm not sure if it's because climate change but the fruits lately (especially mangos!) are such poor quality.
Cheers!

susanned:
Greetings,
My name is Susanne. Living in Florida for 10 years. Electronics Engineer by trade, tropical tree plantation manager most of the time..LOL. I'm originally from Cuba so will I be considered international member too? ..he he. I love tropical fruits. I only have a small lot, occupied mostly by my house. But it doesn't stop me from growing tropical fruit trees. I have 5-mangoes (ha ha), lots of bananas, carambola, avocado, jackfruits, tamarind, papayas and lychees.
This  is a great resource site.
See you around folks.

johnb51:

--- Quote from: susanned on April 06, 2023, 06:21:35 AM ---Greetings,
My name is Susanne. Living in Florida for 10 years. Electronics Engineer by trade, tropical tree plantation manager most of the time..LOL. I'm originally from Cuba so will I be considered international member too? ..he he. I love tropical fruits. I only have a small lot, occupied mostly by my house. But it doesn't stop me from growing tropical fruit trees. I have 5-mangoes (ha ha), lots of bananas, carambola, avocado, jackfruits, tamarind, papayas and lychees.
This  is a great resource site.
See you around folks.

--- End quote ---
Spammer!

gordonh1:
I'm Gordon in a rural area near Seattle, WA in zone 8a/7b, somewhat in the foothills where it's a bit colder than Seattle near Puget Sound. I'm growing many hardy fruits in an orchard / forest garden setting. I will have a greenhouse this year in which I hope to grow some tropical fruits, including citrus, avocado, dragon fruit, and guavas.

I'm interested in cold hardy citrus and will grow Poncirus outdoors, and attempt other citrus over time. I would ideally like to grow hardy citrus that can thrive on their own merits without pampering and elaborate protection schemes.

I enjoy raising plants from seeds and doing informal breeding projects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version