Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Laurel Wilt Avocado (Stump or Remove)

<< < (2/3) > >>

JakeFruit:

I would follow Carlos' advice, but if you can't for some reason, Epsom Salt will help speed up the breaking down process. To do that, take it down as low as possible, drill holes spaced ~6"-8" apart with as large a bit as you have & as deep as you can go straight down into the stump, then fill each hole with ES and then pour hot water in the holes. Covering the stump with mulch/organic matter and watering it occasionally will also increase the speed of decomposition. Adding a (black) over the top of everything will increase the soil temperature and help retain moisture.

ES is not actually a salt, it's magnesium sulfate and beneficial to plants/soil. The amount you use is probably too much of a good thing (from what I read, too much magnesium inhibits calcium uptake), so I wouldn't be in a rush to plant another tree there right away.

CTMIAMI:
Fruitmonger do what is economically feasible to you. There are literally 1000's of infected trees in Florida, not only avocados but sassafras, red bay etc. The simplest thing would be to cut the tree close to the ground and find some inexpensive way to remove or treat the root. 

fruitmonger:
Update.  I stumped the tree and left it to its own devices.

Here is how it looks today.  Maybe some fruit next year.

Though some folks might want to see.

ScottR:
Why have you let tree regrow when removing was best option and you seemed to agree?? Did you learn something new you haven't share like was not 'Laurel Wilt' or??

pagnr:
ES is not actually a salt, it's magnesium sulfate and beneficial to plants/soil. The amount you use is probably too much of a good thing

Just a small point, it is a nutrient as you say, but it behaves as a salt with an EC.
If NaCl is salt, KCl and CaCl also behave as salts, as does MgCl, MgSO4 ( magnesium sulphate ), and all similar structured compounds.
If you use these nutrients excessively, or make very strong liquid fertiliser solutions, the EC ( salt effect ) will be very high.
The advantage of MgSO4 to NaCl in tree removal is probably that the MgSo4 will eventually be utilised as a nutrient, whereas the NaCl is required in far smaller amounts, and has well known negative effects if out of balance.( ie salinity )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version