Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Tropical Fruit Holiday Foods

<< < (3/3)

pagnr:
Green Jackfruit is a fairly good substitute for chicken in curry type dishes, in texture and flavour of white meat. Not sure if it can scale up to replace the Xmass turkey.

HI_Chris:
I'm no fan of the resin taste of many surinam cherries, however...

A neighbor gave me a quart of cherries that she had pitted and put in the freezer.  I tried out a pie recipe for Thanksgiving and it went over well.  It wasn't quite like cherry pie -- it had a bit of a spicy, raisiny mince-meat-pie flavor underneath -- but the resin was not noticeable and it did taste like cherry.
The original recipe was at www.thebermudian.com/food-a-drink/recipes/bermuda-cherry-pie/ and my version of the filling follows.

1 quart pitted surinam cherries
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp fresh grated turmeric (the original recipe called for some grated ginger)
1 tsp lemon juice

Boil until it thickens quite a bit.  Let cool.
Use this as a filling in a pre-baked pie shell.  Heat it up for 10+ minutes, optionally with a meringue topping (which I didn't do).
I gave my guests, who were unfamiliar with surinam cherries, a bit of a warning beforehand.  The fact that I lowered expectations probably helped everyone enjoy the not-quite-cherry pie.  I would do it again.

Chris

elouicious:

--- Quote from: HI_Chris on December 07, 2022, 03:17:23 PM ---I'm no fan of the resin taste of many surinam cherries, however...

A neighbor gave me a quart of cherries that she had pitted and put in the freezer.  I tried out a pie recipe for Thanksgiving and it went over well.  It wasn't quite like cherry pie -- it had a bit of a spicy, raisiny mince-meat-pie flavor underneath -- but the resin was not noticeable and it did taste like cherry.
The original recipe was at www.thebermudian.com/food-a-drink/recipes/bermuda-cherry-pie/ and my version of the filling follows.

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp fresh grated turmeric (the original recipe called for some grated ginger)
1 tsp lemon juice

Use this as a filling in a pre-baked pie shell.  Heat it up for 10+ minutes, optionally with a meringue topping (which I didn't do).
I gave my guests, who were unfamiliar with surinam cherries, a bit of a warning beforehand.  The fact that I lowered expectations probably helped everyone enjoy the not-quite-cherry pie.  I would do it again.

Chris

--- End quote ---

I can tell you from experience that putting Eugenia fruit in the fridge for a minimum of overnight can get rid of the turpentyne resinous flavor that some people don't like

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: HI_Chris on December 07, 2022, 03:17:23 PM ---I'm no fan of the resin taste of many surinam cherries, however...

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Chris

--- End quote ---

Tumeric! I never saw that one coming. That brings up a whole new world of possibilities. I bet a little clove and almond extract would pair well...

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: elouicious on December 07, 2022, 07:08:05 PM ---I can tell you from experience that putting Eugenia fruit in the fridge for a minimum of overnight can get rid of the turpentyne resinous flavor that some people don't like

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip, does freezing do the same thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version