Author Topic: Mango flowering heavy with no fruit set :(  (Read 5184 times)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
Mango flowering heavy with no fruit set :(
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
 :-\ My Carrie is very healthy, flowering but the only mango with no fruit! What gives?
Oh and it did the same thing last year.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:49:09 PM by Mfajar »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango flowering heavy with no fruit set :(
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »
The carrie is not precocious. Mine was roughly 5 years old before it really started to produce. It's still one of my favorite mangoes though. Last season's crop had an odd flavor - not sure what caused that.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
:-\ My Carrie is very healthy, flowering but the only mango with no fruit! What gives?

Yeah, my Carrie is sort of similar.  Last year it flowered like crazy, but only set 5 or 6 fruit.  Planted right next to it is my Angie, which is smaller and 1 year younger,  the Angie set 20 or more.  Again this year, the Carrie flowered like crazy, but the set seems a bit sparse.  Hopefully I'll get 20 or more, we'll see..

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »

Take solace in knowing that once the tree grows a little more it should be one of your more consistent, better producing, and most fungus resistant mangoes, not to mention a very manageable growth habit.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
My Carrie is doing the same thing this year, blooms all over but in the end it looks like hardly any fruit has actually set. Last year it did the same and only had a handful of fruit and they had a funny taste. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
Its got to be a powdery mildew issue.  Carrie is pretty resistant to anthracnose.  I haven't looked at my Carrie to see what she is doing.  I'll check tomorrow and report. Last year's crop was unusually late at my house, but I do not remember the taste being off.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
That "funny" and "odd" taste is what I really remember about Carrie from years back...one of the reasons I'm happy that the one I bought as Carrie turned out NOT to be one. I was very relieved. I know I'm a minority here when it comes to not liking Carrie, but I can't seem to get passed that awful memory of the taste.

One of these days I hope to taste one that would change my mind.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
The carrie is actually fairly resistant to powdery mildew. The bigger problem is that it take a few years to really start bearing well. I think sleepdoc's, swrancher's, and mfajar's trees are all under 5 years old. I have what looks to be a decent crop on mine.

Its got to be a powdery mildew issue.  Carrie is pretty resistant to anthracnose.  I haven't looked at my Carrie to see what she is doing.  I'll check tomorrow and report. Last year's crop was unusually late at my house, but I do not remember the taste being off.

Harry

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
The 'off' taste is in comparison to previous years' crops. I've talked to several folks who have reported the same thing last year. The carrie is actually an incredibly delicious mango, but it can get a bit overpowering if you let them ripen too much.

That "funny" and "odd" taste is what I really remember about Carrie from years back...one of the reasons I'm happy that the one I bought as Carrie turned out NOT to be one. I was very relieved. I know I'm a minority here when it comes to not liking Carrie, but I can't seem to get passed that awful memory of the taste.

One of these days I hope to taste one that would change my mind.

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Hummmm so I should give it a couple more years then. Glad to know they are like that because I almost took it out (prime real estate for another tree).
But I will give it some time thanks guys.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
There was a guy here that had about 50+ cultivars and he told me the Carrie was his favorite. Has to be very anthracnose resistant to fruit here!
Oscar
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
Yep, definitely hold off. Some mango trees will take a few years before they get into their rhythm.

The regular nam doc mai is another mango tree that take a few years before it starts fruiting heavily. But once it starts, the regular nam doc mai can be a heavy and consistent producer. Interestingly, while the nam doc mai 4 trees in my yard are all struggling with powdery mildew, my regular nam doc mai is pumping out tons of fruit, despite blooming at the same time.

Jeff

Hummmm so I should give it a couple more years then. Glad to know they are like that because I almost took it out (prime real estate for another tree).
But I will give it some time thanks guys.