Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Mystery Citrus

(1/7) > >>

jcaldeira:
Today I bought two citrus I have never seen before at the local market.  They are the size of a large grapefruit, with a skin resembling Rough Lemon. While flesh inside.   Any idea what it might be?   Here's a photo:

The only Pomelo I've seen here has a very thick rind.

It taste similar to an old-style sour grapefruit.  Tasty with enough honey drizzled on it.  The most remarkable thing about this fruit is the ease in which the flesh separates from the segment walls.  The flesh peels right off - I wish most grapefruit would do that!

Any idea what I might have here?

Mike T:
I think the sistery mistress is just a large lemon of undefined variety. I see quite a diversity of bush and rough skinned lemons that have grown from discarded seeds from decades ago in bush areas.Some of them are brought into cultivation and look remarkably like the pictured one.

bsbullie:
Looks similar to a Ponderosa Lemon.

jcaldeira:

--- Quote from: Mike T on May 19, 2014, 11:26:54 PM ---I think the sistery mistress is just a large lemon of undefined variety. I see quite a diversity of bush and rough skinned lemons that have grown from discarded seeds from decades ago in bush areas.Some of them are brought into cultivation and look remarkably like the pictured one.
--- End quote ---

The taste was definitely not lemon. It was very much more like grapefruit.  The woman selling them had a pile all similar-sized large fruit.  It may be a hybrid with a rough lemon, but it definitely resembles a grapefruit/pomelo type of fruit except for the skin texture.

jcaldeira:

--- Quote from: bsbullie on May 19, 2014, 11:29:02 PM ---Looks similar to a Ponderosa Lemon.

--- End quote ---

It sure does.  And mine is quite seedy, consistent with the descriptions of Ponderosa Lemon on the internet.  However, the taste is unlike any other lemon I've known. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version