Author Topic: Lots of pics for some of my trees ,,  (Read 19154 times)

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
Lots of pics for some of my trees ,,
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Large collection for my fruit trees in my yard ,, Hope you like them ,, and advice if anything is missing ,, i will divide them into 2 parts in order to be manageable

PART 2

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1238.0

PART 1

Young seedlings ,, Grumichama , surinam cherry , Rollinia ,

" Silas wood " sapodilla ,, .Toptropicals.

" Bell " starfruit ,, .Toptropicals.

Yellow dragon fruit cutting and seedling ,,

Jackfruit grafting trial ,,

My humble greenhouse ,,

Longan seedling ,,

Mango Keit ,, i think ,,

Jackfruit seedling ,,

Backyard stuffed with lots of fruit trees ,,

Alphonso Mango ,,

Mango flowers ,,

Taimor Mango ,,

Prickly pear ,,

Ice Cream bean ,,

Sedika Mango

Different types of olive ,,

Loquat grafted ,,

Mango Keit ,, Again i think lol ,,

Coffee Arabica

Naval orange and sour orange ,,

Zebda Mango ,,

Ewais Mango ,,

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:36:44 PM by amrkhalido »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of pics for some of my trees ,,
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. It looks like the yard is going to turn into a jungle in a couple years. Btw, are you growing any Jujubes? Also where are the pomegranates!!  ;D

Love the Ewais mango, nice thick trunk!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »
Hi Amrkhalido,

Your orchard looks great!!! Thanks for taking the time to post them pics! Looking forward to the next round! ;)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »
Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. It looks like the yard is going to turn into a jungle in a couple years. Btw, are you growing any Jujubes? Also where are the pomegranates!!  ;D

thanks nullzero ,, yes am growing pomegranates ,, i will post pics for them in the next part :)) and i am growing only this dwarf type of jujube ,, i used to plant feww trees of jujubes which used to fruit large small apple jujubes ,, but i removed it as it was very very invasive , i would have to remove few suckers every few days and it was very thorny making it harder to remove ,, i will post a pic i have for it as well

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Hi Amrkhalido,

Your orchard looks great!!! Thanks for taking the time to post them pics! Looking forward to the next round! ;)

Thanks Jackfruitwhisperer :))

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

thanks nullzero ,, yes am growing pomegranates ,, i will post pics for them in the next part :)) and i am growing only this dwarf type of jujube ,, i used to plant feww trees of jujubes which used to fruit large small apple jujubes ,, but i removed it as it was very very invasive , i would have to remove few suckers every few days and it was very thorny making it harder to remove ,, i will post a pic i have for it as well

Yeah, I have heard that the suckers can be quite annoying on Jujubes. However to have excellent tasting sweet fruit its a good trade off.I have heard about low frequency of suckering varieties that can be grafted onto. I am growing 4 varieties of Jujubes right now, I love the taste of the fruit. I am able to control them though with containers.

Are you growing any berries? Blueberries, Blackberries, raspberries, etc?

If not, I would look into getting a boysenberry plant. Boysenberry seems to be one of the most drought tolerant and low humidity tolerant berries I am growing. However, the berry is highly invasive... its worth it because the berries are some of the best!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:17:19 PM by nullzero »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »

Yeah, I have heard that the suckers can be quite annoying on Jujubes. However to have excellent tasting sweet fruit its a good trade off.I have heard about low frequency of suckering varieties that can be grafted onto. I am growing 4 varieties of Jujubes right now, I love the taste of the fruit. I am able to control them though with containers.

If not, I would look into getting a boysenberry plant. Boysenberry seems to be one of the most drought tolerant and low humidity tolerant berries I am growing. However, the berry is highly invasive... its worth it because the berries are some of the best!

I think container growing is the best for jujubes ,, totally annoying ,, although i regret removing these 2 trees now ,, but its done ,,

And no i dont grow any berries ,, infact i wish and i did once try and bought a " heritage "raspberry plant from burpee ,, it grew at the winter and died at the beginning of the summer lol ,, maybe it didnt believe where is the winter and where is the summer ,,

Now i am trying to grow mysore raspberry seeds and will see what will goes ,, and i wish i would try that "boysenberry" i just googled it and it seems great to me ,, its grown in california and i think we have the same temperature patern ,, maybe you tell me where to get plants or seeds or whatever is the way of propagation ,,

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

I think container growing is the best for jujubes ,, totally annoying ,, although i regret removing these 2 trees now ,, but its done ,,

And no i dont grow any berries ,, infact i wish and i did once try and bought a " heritage "raspberry plant from burpee ,, it grew at the winter and died at the beginning of the summer lol ,, maybe it didnt believe where is the winter and where is the summer ,,

Now i am trying to grow mysore raspberry seeds and will see what will goes ,, and i wish i would try that "boysenberry" i just googled it and it seems great to me ,, its grown in california and i think we have the same temperature patern ,, maybe you tell me where to get plants or seeds or whatever is the way of propagation ,,

Its usually grown from divisions/cuttings. Raspberries will die every time when the heat comes in. However there is a Raspberry that was selected in Southern California which has great heat tolerance, its called Bababerry. You should be able to find a source for Boysenberry which will ship to you in Egypt.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
Very nice Amr, I especially like the backyard shots, you get to see the whole layout.  Mango tree are looking great BTW.

good luck w/your jak experiments,
-Ethan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
Amrk,

Here is a source for boysenberry from Ebay which states that they ship worldwide;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Large-Boysenberry-Plants-Vines-Grow-Your-Own-Fresh-Boysenberries-/261012323261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc58bfbbd#ht_7081wt_887

Here is a picture of boysenberry flowering and fruiting in the garden. Its very invasive climbing into other containers and rooting into the ground. However its going to reward me with over +100 berries this year :).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:02:14 PM by nullzero »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Thanks Ethan ,, i will be delighted if only one succeed :) ,,

And nullzero ,, its nt important to ship to egypt ,, i will be in new york in the next few weeks ,, and in california in july ,, so i can buy it ,, but from where if you got an idea for such heat tolerant types ,, and thanks i will check this ebay seller out ,,

Thanks, Amr

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
fantastic garden! Thanks for the pics - I'm totally jealous and now even more determined to jungleify my own yard.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Amr,

Pics look great. Thanks for posting.

Your Zebda mango looks very similar to my Father in Laws. 

Have you thought of Mulberry ?  I prefer them to all the other berries ..  They seem easy to grow as well .

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
Amr,

Pics look great. Thanks for posting.

Your Zebda mango looks very similar to my Father in Laws. 

Have you thought of Mulberry ?  I prefer them to all the other berries ..  They seem easy to grow as well .

I own already 2 pakistan mulberries and one sold to me as an " indian " its short and thick ,, in egypt white and black regular mulberries are grown everywhere in the streets and pavements ,, so its not attractive ,, and it attracts lots of flies and kids throwing stones at the tree to have some mulberries :D

Amr

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
Thanks Ethan ,, i will be delighted if only one succeed :) ,,

And nullzero ,, its nt important to ship to egypt ,, i will be in new york in the next few weeks ,, and in california in july ,, so i can buy it ,, but from where if you got an idea for such heat tolerant types ,, and thanks i will check this ebay seller out ,,

Thanks, Amr

The original boysenberry was selected in inland Orange County, CA. I suggest the thorny version, just because I have heard the production of berries is higher. The heat tolerance may be better with the thorny version as well. Summer temps trend in the 80s low 90s most of the summer (Orange County). The berry is highly adaptable to warm climates, there are many people over in Arizona growing it with temps in the summer trending in the 100-110s. Both thorny and non thorny versions should perform well for you.

If you come to Los Angeles,CA area anytime. I can share some boysenberry cuttings/and rooted plants with you. Cuttings root reliably and the cuttings are hardy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:13:00 PM by nullzero »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
Thanks happyisland ,, in fact you should ,, claims that trees needs space and light and extra ,, are for long term growers or commercial growers ,, who need the maximum out of a tree plus the ease of collection and care ,, otherwise i would be happy to own 100 trees with one different fruit per tree than one tree with 100 fruits ,,

nullzero your plant looks amazing ,, i am certainly growing to bring at least 1 plant with me ,, glad that you told me about it ,,

Amr

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
I have boysenberries with thorns that grow and fruit well for me, it is currently covered in small green fruits.  During the summer, 100F are the cool days here. :o So I'd guess no problem in Egypt.

-Ethan

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
I have boysenberries with thorns that grow and fruit well for me, it is currently covered in small green fruits.  During the summer, 100F are the cool days here. :o So I'd guess no problem in Egypt.

-Ethan

Same here along with cool dry winters ,, and all that money and time i spent trying to plant heritage raspberry  >:(

Amr

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
 Are you guy's forgetting them figs ::)

Figs will thrive in Ramesses climate!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:21:16 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »

Figs will thive in Ramesses climate!!!

Figs more than thrive ,, i did relocate these 2 trees 2 or 3 times ,, and i did remove one large tree which used to produce green figs with red interior ,, i didnt like it and it grows massively although i kept on pruning it ,, i intend on bringing a certain variety that grows best in the northern coast in Egypt ,, purple brown large and super super sweet ,, but i am afraid that it may need more humidity or sea breeze than where i am located in cairo suburbs ,,

Amr

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »

-Ethan

Same here along with cool dry winters ,, and all that money and time i spent trying to plant heritage raspberry  >:(

Amr

Amr,

I have a great collection of fruiting cactus as well. Over 14 Opuntia sp. now most selected for fruit quality or vegetable pads. So I can give you pads of those as well. Have a couple Dragon Fruit varieties too. Been working on trying to amass a collection of worthy arid land fruits and vegetables.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:26:24 PM by nullzero »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

like this maybe bigger and gets opened when totally mature ,,

this is nt my pic ,,

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »

-Ethan

Amr

Amr,

I have a great collection of fruiting cactus as well. Over 14 Opuntia sp. now most selected for fruit quality or vegetable pads. So I can give you pads of those as well. Have a couple Dragon Fruit varieties too. Been working on trying to amass a collection of worthy arid land fruits and vegetables.

I would love too especially if you have different types of dragon fruit ,, i can bring you any local plant you want to propagate as well ,,

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »

-Ethan

Amr

Amr,

I would love too especially if you have different types of dragon fruit ,, i can bring you any local plant you want to propagate as well ,,

Thanks Amr for the offer, I would not know what to ask for. You don't have to offer me anything but if you want to bring some seeds of interesting vegetables/fruits I am always willing to try them out.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
Oh Boy...Do I love FIGS ;D ;D ;D

When they start to grow...NO STOPPING THEM ;) ;) ;)

It's really hard work...relocating them trees :o :o :o

Your should trial them out and see what works in your location!

Thanks for the pics...they sure look tasty ;D ;D ;D

Figs will thive in Ramesses climate!!!

Figs more than thrive ,, i did relocate these 2 trees 2 or 3 times ,, and i did remove one large tree which used to produce green figs with red interior ,, i didnt like it and it grows massively although i kept on pruning it ,, i intend on bringing a certain variety that grows best in the northern coast in Egypt ,, purple brown large and super super sweet ,, but i am afraid that it may need more humidity or sea breeze than where i am located in cairo suburbs ,,

Amr
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:53:42 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.