Author Topic: Lots of pics for some of my trees ,,  (Read 19056 times)

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of pics for some of my trees ,,
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Thanks jackfruitwhisperer ,,

Done ,, nullzero ,,

Amr

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Really great photos!

Do you grow dates as well?

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks natsgarden ,, currently no ,, i used to have 2 palms " barhee and medjool " but both died due to a lousy worm disease intruded from saudi arabia few years ago that harmed large amount of date cultivation in egypt ,, now i will try my luck again with the same types as they are considered the best to me ,,

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Good to hear from you, Amr old buddy!  All the trees and shrubs and plants look great.
Soon, a true oasis in Cairo...you do have the green thumb. By the way, what is the coldest
your winter's would get???

When you come to L.A., a side trip to Palm Springs would be about a 2 hour drive, but you are
welcome to come see my place as well.  Not sure if any mangos will be ripe by then - so far
August is the eariliest I've had them ripen...

But it will be guaranteed to be 105-112 degrees then...but of course, it's a "dry" heat.....lololololol.......

Fang of the Desert

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
Good to hear from you, Amr old buddy!  All the trees and shrubs and plants look great.
Soon, a true oasis in Cairo...you do have the green thumb. By the way, what is the coldest
your winter's would get???

When you come to L.A., a side trip to Palm Springs would be about a 2 hour drive, but you are
welcome to come see my place as well.  Not sure if any mangos will be ripe by then - so far
August is the eariliest I've had them ripen...

But it will be guaranteed to be 105-112 degrees then...but of course, it's a "dry" heat.....lololololol.......

Fang of the Desert

Thanks Mangofang "mangodog" i see u changed your name :D ,,
Anyway thanks for your warm invite ,, but i wont have a car :)

Our winters coldest could get down to 6 celsius at most ,, last winter was the harshest but i dnt think it dropped below that ,, and dnt worry about your heat ,, its nearly the same here :D :D

waiting to see your mangos experiences :)

Amr

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
Amr, I visited Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh when I graduated law school (May 2000). Had an amazing time. Sharm had the best snorkeling Ive ever seen and crossing the road by Tahir square was a major adventure. and i loved the local dish in cairo- forgot whats its called but its rice and lentil with fried onions and garlic sauce. or something like that.
and boy, i'll never forget how humid it is inside the pyramids.
anyway, if you want me to show you around china town in NY when you are in town, send me a private message- there should be tons of great tropical fruit available- lychees, longans, mangosteen, rambutan, jakfruit, etc

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 03:42:54 AM »
Thanks natsgarden ,, currently no ,, i used to have 2 palms " barhee and medjool " but both died due to a lousy worm disease intruded from saudi arabia few years ago that harmed large amount of date cultivation in egypt ,, now i will try my luck again with the same types as they are considered the best to me ,,

Maybe red palm weevil? Larvae enters core of the palm and eats it.
Oscar

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »

Maybe red palm weevil? Larvae enters core of the palm and eats it.

Thats the ********** that ate my palms  >:(

Amr

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »
Amr, I visited Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh when I graduated law school (May 2000). Had an amazing time. Sharm had the best snorkeling Ive ever seen and crossing the road by Tahir square was a major adventure. and i loved the local dish in cairo- forgot whats its called but its rice and lentil with fried onions and garlic sauce. or something like that.
anyway, if you want me to show you around china town in NY when you are in town, send me a private message- there should be tons of great tropical fruit available- lychees, longans, mangosteen, rambutan, jakfruit, etc

Thanks lycheeluva for your invite ,, the plate's name is " koshari " ,, and wat a chance that am eating it right now ,, loool ,, gr8 u loved sharm el sheikh snorkling ,, its the best and i love it ,, 

I am waiting to see such fruits in chinatown ,, i have been to NY several times but never visited chinatown as i never though it will have such tropical fruits ,, i would love to carefully examine ( eat ) each of them :D

Amr

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
AMr:
maybe we can try and find some good local Koshari in NY - would love to eat it again after 12 years!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Going by google maps you are just on the edge of the Nile Delta....which shows up very green on the satellite view. Good going!!! It seems to me some your irrigation is being done old style.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »

If I was visiting New York's Chinatown I would head over to Katz's for a knockwurst with 'kraut. They are all beef knockwurst no pork.
But maybe you guys would like to eat at this place in Astoria
Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern at Kabab Cafe, Astoria, Queens

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Great pictures...enjoyed seeing your great collection of fruit trees and your wonderful yard...thanks for sharing them with all of us!!

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
AMr:
maybe we can try and find some good local Koshari in NY - would love to eat it again after 12 years!

i am sure its found in Astoria , and even if not i will manage to make few egyptian families i knw in NY to make you some :D ,,

Amr

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
Going by google maps you are just on the edge of the Nile Delta....which shows up very green on the satellite view. Good going!!! It seems to me some your irrigation is being done old style.

Regarding irrigation ,, i am nt using drip i use normal "open the hose and leave it beside each tree for some time ' ,, commercial farms are using it as they are located in the new reclaimed land in the desert mainly ,, majority of lands uses flood irrigation ,,

And i would like to try this sausage ,, i always wanted to try german sausage but i wanted it beef ,, i will give it a shot ,,

Amr

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
Great pictures...enjoyed seeing your great collection of fruit trees and your wonderful yard...thanks for sharing them with all of us!!

Thanks for your nice words ,, i pruned my mango trees heavily mainly after seeing your trees ,, lool

Amr

Karincampoli2012

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
Looking good, if your ever in glendale ca...hit me up.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
AMr:

i am sure its found in Astoria , and even if not i will manage to make few egyptian families i knw in NY to make you some :D ,,

Amr

LOOKING FWD Amr- when will you be in town

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »
AMr:

Amr

May to june max ,, as i have to sit for the bar exam in july so i must be present at least one month before it.

I hope its a suitable time to find good jackfruit in chinatown or anywhere ,,

Amr

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
Looking good, if your ever in glendale ca...hit me up.

Thanks for your warm invite :)

Amr

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
AMr:

Amr

May to june max ,, as i have to sit for the bar exam in july so i must be present at least one month before it.

I hope its a suitable time to find good jackfruit in chinatown or anywhere ,,

Amr

Amr- end of may and all of June is peak tropical fruit season in NY. You are in luck. and I will probably have quite a few non tropical fruits ripening in july in my garden.
also  i am an attorney, so if you need help help with the bar or finding  ajob, let me know

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
Thanks for the offer ,, i really appreciate it ,, i am looking forward to that ,,

Amr

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Quote from LL..."also  i am an attorney, so if you need help help with the bar or finding  a job, let me know"

Hey LL, does that apply for my daughter as well? She's graduating Law School next Sunday!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
of course pug! tell her to shoot  me an email