Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Hardy Hybrids in Raleigh NC

(1/2) > >>

TriangleJohn:
Here are some photos of very hardy hybrids at the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh NC. Last winter was pretty brutal (9 degrees F) and these guys came through it without much damage. It certainly didn't stop them from fruiting this year. I've tasted the 'Dunstan' and they work fine as a grapefruit substitute. There is a hint of Poncirus but it is minor. I also have some of these at home in the ground but mine have never fruited.

The first photos and the one with my hand holding a fruit are Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus paradisi 'Dunstan' or Poncirus crossed with grapefruit. There is a close up shot of Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus auranticum or Poncirus crossed with Seville Orange. And then a shot of the two trees side by side.

Millet:
A pretty tough tree. - Millet

emmajost:

I read a very good post here. Read I was able to use really.

RyanL:
Interested on how they have held up the cold coming in the next few days. Give us an update when you can.

TriangleJohn:
The arboretum director sent out a photo of their thermometer with a reading of 3 degrees. Everyone I know say they got down to 10. The newspaper said that we dropped a few degrees after sunrise and got to 7. So far my yard looks as damaged as it did last year. I haven't made it over to the arboretum yet, it will take a while to really see how bad the damage is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version