Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

vaniglia sanguingo fruit

(1/4) > >>

brian:
This is the first year I've gotten full size fruit.  Last year I got two runts.

The UCR description is spot on:
"This is a pink fleshed (lycopene) sweet orange; very sweet, almost acidless. Pink color is in albedo and flesh next to rind only. Could be interesting as a garnish but flavor is no good- very insipid, virtually acidless."

I bought this because somebody had described it as tasting like mango and I couldn't resist... but it doesn't taste like any mango to me.  More like watered-down "orange drink".   I tried eating an immature green one to see if any different but it was much worse than the ripe ones.

will2358:
Too bad because it looks like an interesting citrus.

Walt:
So cross it with a Ponciris.  There was a discussion a while back about how at least some acidless citrus is due to a single gene for no acid.  Just a thought.  Ever since that discussiion, I've wanted to cross any acidless citrus with Ponciris.
The only other thing I can think of to do with a fruit that you don't like is, toss it, or think of some other fruit which would make a good drink or jelly or wine if mixed with this fruit.

sc4001992:
Brian, I grafted that one as well. It tasted just as you described it and so I top worked my tree a while ago. It was a disappointment to wait for the branches to fruit and finding out it was not that good tasting.

Millet:
What might be an interesting experiment.  Grow the Vaniglia Sanguingo in a cool/cold night temperature.  Cold night temperatures raises the acid levels in citrus.  Citrus can taste different depending on the climate the fruit is grown in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version