Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Do Satsumas get better with age?

<< < (2/2)

EricSC:

--- Quote from: countryboy1981 on December 05, 2022, 06:59:14 AM ---It may have something to do with age or the ability to hold more fruit.  The more fruit a tree holds onto the smaller the fruit tend to be (at least for me).  The small fruit are sweeter and do not have the issues you are speaking of.  I give the larger satsumas to my chickens to eat.

--- End quote ---
I have a tree which I thinned the fruits in spring so about 12 of them kept on tree.   They ended up all very big (about 4:1 by volume to normal size) with rough rind, dry and tasteless inside.   I basically through of them out.

countryboy1981:

--- Quote from: EricSC on December 05, 2022, 01:59:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: countryboy1981 on December 05, 2022, 06:59:14 AM ---It may have something to do with age or the ability to hold more fruit.  The more fruit a tree holds onto the smaller the fruit tend to be (at least for me).  The small fruit are sweeter and do not have the issues you are speaking of.  I give the larger satsumas to my chickens to eat.

--- End quote ---
I have a tree which I thinned the fruits in spring so about 12 of them kept on tree.   They ended up all very big (about 4:1 by volume to normal size) with rough rind, dry and tasteless inside.   I basically through of them out.

--- End quote ---

I agree with that.  The larger sized fruits are edible but not of great quality.

AndrewAZ:
I was told by someone smarter than me, allow your fruit to produce fruit for 3 seasons.  After then, you can truly judge the fruit quality.  Not perfect, but I find it a good rule of thumb.

edweather:
Thanks for the replies. Satsumas thrive in this area, and the tree was purchased from a decent nursury. It was very young when we bought it, and this is only the second year with fruit. Hopefully it will get better. We also have a red navel tree the same age, and last year the few fruit were disappointing, and this year they are really good. We have 5 trees, and they all seem to have a life of their own. Growing citrus for this transplanted New Yorker, is not as smooth a process as I imagined :) Thanks again.

poncirsguy:
I too have found citrus to be very fussy.  However the Osage orange tree across the street is very healthy and incredibly productive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version