Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mango: 2023 SoCal mango start flowering

<< < (3/4) > >>

Eggo:

--- Quote from: kh0110 on December 06, 2022, 08:59:13 PM ---My franken Manila has started to bloom also for 3 weeks now and I've been spraying sulfur once a week since then. I'm determined to get some fruits this coming season. Powdery mildew has been wrecking havoc for the last 2 years.
The tree is 16 years old but no that tall.

--- End quote ---

I like those big box store Manila as rootstocks. They grow vast and vigorous but they seem to be very powdery mildew prone and carriers for PD that seems to spread to everything else year round.  Luckily my large trees are now are mostly a variety that is very resistant to PD even though it's a nameless seedling.

sapote:
The cold weather in soCal this year delay all of my mango flower buds from opening and they are blacken. The pic in my post #7 of Feb 18 with all the flower buds and none have opened. How is everyone's mango flower condition?

John B:

--- Quote from: sapote on March 27, 2023, 09:16:48 PM ---The cold weather in soCal this year delay all of my mango flower buds from opening and they are blacken. The pic in my post #7 of Feb 18 with all the flower buds and none have opened. How is everyone's mango flower condition?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, same here. Anthracnose has kicked in on all my Mango's. I don't spray, so I'll just let them grow out of it and probably do a hard prune this year to strengthen the branches. My tree isn't nearly as large as yours though.

Eggo:

--- Quote from: sapote on March 27, 2023, 09:16:48 PM ---The cold weather in soCal this year delay all of my mango flower buds from opening and they are blacken. The pic in my post #7 of Feb 18 with all the flower buds and none have opened. How is everyone's mango flower condition?

--- End quote ---

Same here, lots of blacken disease blooms. Some still look like it has a chance.  I have about 30 varieties grafted on 8 trees on one plot, everything began to flush and bloom a while ago except for 2 varieties, Maha Chanok and Bombay, they are just beginning to flush which I thought was strange but a good thing as it would miss our cooler weather and rain and maybe even the peak powdery mildew season.  My other Maha on another plot has just barely beginning to flush also.  Has your Maha bloom?

sapote:

--- Quote from: Eggo on March 28, 2023, 01:12:27 PM ---  Has your Maha bloom?

--- End quote ---
All mature trees sent out flower stems back in January, including Maha. However the younger seedlings (2.5" or larger trunk) just sent out now. I believe the trees that didn't have much fruits last year tend to send out flower earlier, and those that had more fruits last year are starting to have flower buds now.
Will see after this cold week if the weather not warm up fast, then I might pick off all of the old flowers to stimulate a new ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version