Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerine

<< < (4/5) > >>

W.:

--- Quote from: DAV1D on April 06, 2023, 11:51:07 PM ---The first batch of Juicy Crunch I got from Publix was the best tasting orange I ever tasted. Very sweet, no sour, and actually crunchy as well.
I bought them again 2 weeks later and they were very sour. I think they were picked too early, they weren't as big as before.

Later on Publix also had these other ones (I can't remember if this was the correct name) called Florigold that tasted very similar but without the crunch.

Both of these varieties had seeds, I planted the sweet Juicy Crunch from the first batch. I read that tangerines do fruit true from seed, let me know if I'm wrong.
I plan on growing these out and grafting it on a larger tree.

--- End quote ---

I don't know whether Juicy Crunch is true from seed. My plants are too young to fruit, so I can't say for certain. The variety hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have fruited it from seed, at least to my knowledge. Also, it would depend on what its parentage actually is, which the Roe family has, of course, not stated publicly. It could have all sorts of tangerine, mandarin, tangelo, or orange varieties in its parentage, not all of which are guaranteed true to type. Still, I think its a worthwhile endeavor growing it from seed; that's why I'm doing so myself.

DAV1D:
How tall are your seedlings? Mine are growing very slow, they are about 1 month old in the photo.

Rispa:
I'm just planting mine. I might to buy more to get more seeds too. Fingers crossed.

DAV1D:
I just learn that citrus seeds can and either be monoembryonic or polyembryonic. The Juicy Crunch is definitely monoembryonic.
I started the seeds in a ziploc bag and only one shoot came out of each seed. Only poly seed, with multiple shoots have clones of the parent tree.

It still might be somewhat similar since the Juicy Crunch are probably surrounded by other Juicy Crunch trees.
They wont be cross pollinated with some other type of citrus.

Millet:
 Citrus varieties that do produce true, and citrus varieties that do not come true from seed.

http://redwoodbarn.com/PDF/Whichcitrusfromseed.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version