Author Topic: Peluche loquat white flesh  (Read 1284 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Peluche loquat white flesh
« on: October 21, 2022, 11:01:30 PM »
Earlier this year, I had brought up that I had thought the Peluche loquat offered by Adam (Flying Fox Fruts) is white fleshed.  I noticed the one sold by Viking Guy was orange. 

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41284.msg452560#msg452560
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=43679.25

This is one of the videos I referenced, the other was on Austin Barnhill's facebook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeThpaBLz0

So there was a question of what color Peluche loquat Flying Fox was selling.  I noticed last week he sold another Peluche on ebay, and this week he is selling a second one showing a picture of the white colored flesh.

Does anyone else have a white fleshed Peluche?  Did Flying Fox sell orange Peluche in the past?

Janet
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:31:29 AM by JCorte »

JCorte

• View Profile
Re: Peluche loquat white flesh
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 11:02:21 PM »
From Flying Fox eBay

This is the photo I posted from Austin’s Facebook

This is the photo Adam shared in his post from 2016

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:48:34 AM by JCorte »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 11:13:00 PM »
"This loquat cutting will be from my grafted tree that is a proven Peluche with the large orange flesh fruits. The origin of this Peluche source is Adam (Flying Fox Fruits)." - sc4001992

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=49056.0

Maybe Adam picked the ebay picture ones early?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 12:42:04 AM »
Janet,

Mystery of the white flesh Peluche has been solved. One of our members contacted Adam (FFF) yesterday and asked him about the flesh colors of Peluche. Adam (FFF) answered there is only one Peluche and the flesh color is orange (maybe sometime lighter yellowish). There is no white flesh Peluche. He did mention it could have looked white in a photo if it was picked before it was fully ripe.

So, I have been searching for the white flesh, but it does not exist.

Kaz

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 12:48:04 AM »
Oh well, it was interesting contacting a lot of people asking what color flesh their Peluche was.

So, the largest white flesh variety is probably the one I have, it is from a CRFG (Orange Co. chapter) member, and it's called Big Steve. I tasted many fruits from the owner of this tree, fruits were large, shape more like an egg, thin skin, white flesh, very sweet. I have the scionwood grafted and it has fruited for me last year, hope this year it has a lot more larger fruits so I can weigh it and see if it is the largest in my collection. I also grew the seeds from this fruit and the seedling tree fruited for me, it takes sweet, but the fruit is not as large as the parent tree.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 01:40:43 AM »
Well, that's dissapointing.  I'm not sure why on Austin's facebook video they said the fruit was white fleshed.  I bought the tree on auction that year based on those videos and photos. 

On this post by Adam (Flying Fox) there's a photo where to me the fruit looks white flesh, he says the fruit has minimum seeds, only one or two max.  My Big Jim doesn't have white flesh when underripe, so I didn't know other loquats did that.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4733.msg238454#msg238454

Kaz, you shared a photo in the past with a Peluche fruit that had several seeds.  Have you had Peluche fruits with only one seed?

How about anyone else that has fruited the Peluche, do your fruits have only one or two seeds?

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 01:49:34 AM »
Janet,

The Big Jim doesn't seem to show the white flesh when you pick it after the skin just turns yellow. But I have many other varieties that will show white/light yellow flesh if you pick it before it ripens.

As for the number of seeds, I think it just depends on how many other varieties of loquat you have near the fruited tree. I have a lot of different varieties on my trees and those Peluches have more than one seed. I have some Peluche in a pot not near the rest of the flowering loquats and it has fewer seeds. In fact, I have one seedling tree that fruits with white flesh fruit and it only get 1 seed on the cluster of fruits. I don't think it is special. Also when the fruit is smaller than others in the fruit cluster, it most likely will have only one seed.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 01:58:33 AM »
Janet, I found a photo I took of my 2021 Peluche fruit before it was ripe. You can see that the outside color is still light yellow. I'm sure if I had cut open the fruit the flesh would be more white than orange.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 02:31:21 AM »
Kaz, yes I have fruits that will occasionally get less seeds depending on pollination so I know that can happen. I also know that lighting and flash can affect a picture.

Maybe it's just my mood today, but I feel frustrated because to me when you say one or two seeds max, that's a description of a characteristic of a variety.  And... I know they described the fruit as white flesh on the facebook video because I rewatched it to make sure I heard them right before I bought the tree.

I appreciate this community where collectors are willing to share genetics, and sometimes I am willing to pay a lot, and I realize that's my choice and risk.  I've had a few experiences lately where I have purchased from those I believed to be reputable sellers and realized after my plants have fruited I did not get what I thought I paid for.  Or one instance where I did not get my plants at all even when I prepaid shipping for several trees.

To be fair, these are not the experiences with the majority of sellers here, and on the other spectrum, some members have been generous and gifted plants and extras I did not ask for. 

Dang it, that orange peluche better taste good when it finally fruits.

Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 09:59:54 AM »
I added more pics of the Peluche in reply #1, they all look white to me, but whatever.  Wanted to share pics of my Big Jim loquats.  Maybe I’ll find out this spring if an orange Peluche can beat a Big Jim.

Janet
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:01:42 AM by JCorte »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 04:07:59 PM »
There is a Big Jim White (has white flesh), but it is not as large as the orange flesh variety.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 01:06:01 PM »
Hi Kaz, I have a few white fleshed varieties I'm trialing so we'll see.  This year, I'm going to thin the fruit on Big Jim to see if I can get even bigger fruit.  On your peluche contest thread, your Big Jim weighed 59 and 61 grams.  Is that the average size you normally get?

Also, with the exception of the picture you shared above showing your underripe peluche, most of your peluche fruit pictures show a shape similar to Big Jim instead of the elongated shape.  Did that underripe photo fill out in shape as it ripened up or stay that shape?  Were most of your fruit like the rounder orange ones in your picture?

How about anyone else that's fruited their Peluche.  Is the shape typically elongated like in Adam and Austin's photo or more typical loquat shaped? 

Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 01:30:42 PM »
I just rewatched the video link I posted at the start of the thread to take a closer look at the shape of the fruits, and at the 1:57 mark on the video Adam says "nice white flesh, low seed count"

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 06:45:27 PM »
Janet, I don't thin any of my loquat fruit cluster. So, on my Big Jim, the largest natural fruit cluster with a large fruit is about 60-70 grams. Average might be 50-60 grams each from a fruit luster of 6-14 fruits.

Yes, I only had one fruit cluster of the Peluche that had an elongated shape, they stayed that shape until ripe, still orange flesh. I have seen a photo from one of our forum member who had a large Peluche fruit that was over 100 grams and it was shaped more like the ones I show that is normal shaped like an egg. Adams Peluche he shows is only about 70-80 grams for his large ones.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 06:50:29 PM »
Janet said "I just rewatched the video link I posted at the start of the thread to take a closer look at the shape of the fruits, and at the 1:57 mark on the video Adam says "nice white flesh, low seed count""

What can I say, maybe he is getting old and can't remember what he says, I heard that in the video as well. But when he typed the reply to one of our forum member he specifically said there is only one Peluche variety that he has, and it is not white. You should try contacting Adam directly, I don't know much more. I did notice all of his Peluche shape in ebay and YouTube videos is elongated, but I have Peluche cuttings from 2 different sources and they both said it was purchased from Adam (FFF) 3-4 years ago. Maybe Adam had a different graft of the Peluche and he doesn't remember that he had two different fruit shapes. The grafted Peluche from Adam sold for $380 so you might try buying his next one on sale if you can afford it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:33:24 PM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 07:24:11 PM »
Janet said "I just rewatched the video link I posted at the start of the thread to take a closer look at the shape of the fruits, and at the 1:57 mark on the video Adam says "nice white flesh, low seed count""

What can I saw, maybe he is getting old and can't remember what he says, I heard that in the video as well. But when he typed the reply to one of our forum member he specifically said there is only one Peluche variety that he has, and it is not white. You should try contacting Adam directly, I don't know much more. I did notice all of his Peluche shape in ebay and YouTube videos is elongated, but I have Peluche cuttings from 2 different sources and they both said it was purchased from Adam (FFF) 3-4 years ago. Maybe Adam had a different graft of the Peluche and he doesn't remember that he had two different fruit shapes. The grafted Peluche from Adam sold for $380 so you might try buying his next one on sale if you can afford it.

Maybe...but they said white flesh on both videos, and all the pics they posted look white to me.  In the videos and photos all the fruit look elongated as well.  Both videos were from over two years ago, so who knows.  I bought a grafted Peluche from Flying Fox two years ago on ebay after they posted the videos.  Either way, I'll see what my fruits turn out to be soon enough.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 07:39:28 PM »
yup, wait until the fruit ripens and report back here. It will be interesting to see the shape of your Peluche fruit. All the Peluche fruits I have seen from other people growing it is shaped more like an egg most of the time. As long as its large and taste good, that is all I need. I have many white flesh loquat varieties so that doesn't matter to me as much.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 06:44:46 AM »
Adam has several loquat trees so there could be slightly diffent variations on each one?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 09:11:00 AM »
If it's from the same scionwood, it should not vary much. I have many more trees than Adam with over 80 varieties total and I can tell you they do not vary much in fruit shape if the grafted tree is similar in age. You will not see a mix of orange flesh fruit on one tree and a light-yellow flesh fruit on another tree of the same variety.