Author Topic: Tropical grape update march 2023  (Read 384 times)

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Tropical grape update march 2023
« on: March 13, 2023, 02:17:31 PM »
(z86 x d370) x (v shuttleworthii x v aestavalis)

If I didn't know better they look like aestavalis or similar lubrusca type leaves. The mother which is mostly vinifers European grape looks like aestavalis though it has a decent amount of aestavalis in it. Father looks half way between aestavalis and shuttleworthii.

I have been neglecting them they were bone dry with no water for several weeks. I transplanted them to bigger pots so they'll grow better. They have really good roots would be good for root stock. Surprised a lot are suceptibile to black rot though aestavalis here is pretty suceptibile. South Florida has the highest disease pressure for grapes as anywhere in the country so they'll grow better anywhere else including north Florida.

This one has a lot of black rot holes in the leaves. I killed one because it had a lot of black rot. Sadly 2/3 of these will be males with no grapes 1/3 female.

This one is beautiful. No black rot. A tiny amount of rust fungus. More disease resistant than wild aestavalis. Shuttleworthii level disease resistance so far. These are 1.5% muscadine.

This one is tough but the tiny pot was a problem. I'll probably get rid of it because I don't have space. Awesome roots.

Last one. This one shows muscadine level disease resistance. Actually better than most muscadines because even they get black rot here. Ideal mix of tough genes from muscadine, aestavalis and shuttleworthii. Definitely keeping this one. Grapes should be better than muscadine too but hard to say. I would rate aestavalis a bit lower than muscadine, shuttleworthii a bit higher, the female parent had awesome grapes better than the store though a bit small.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical grape update march 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 02:31:47 PM »
The second image became a link on the text. These are z86 x bd5-117 (stover x Daytona).

They are not as big or robust. Really disease resistant considering they are about 65% domestic grape. 3% muscadine. Complex hybrid with different native stuff in the mix. A decent amount of aestavalis. I lost a few.

Parents have good grapes.

This is my one champion from about 25 z86 x bd last year. This is the only one to grow like a weed. Some disease but overall really nice. I keep trying to root it have not been successful yet.

The last one is the selfed bd seed. The only one out of 30 that grew enough to survive though this one is stunted too. Due to inbreeding though I can cross it and vigor will be restored. Some disease but it has survived brutal south Florida. These have crisp non slip skin table grapes and good for wine and pass on pierce tolerance well.

Very last Suwannee. Some disease but very fast grower. Large grapes for wine or table grape. A cousin of d370

I have to let this stuff get bigger and root some stuff later in the year then sell it. I only had a few Cabernet zehn seeds come up and they were weak and died. Cab zehn is 6% muscadine a half sibling of z86 with even better grapes. Produces wine the same as cab Sauvignon. I'll try to get some open pollinated seeds of it to sprout. Definitely the best red wine grape for the south.

kalyl

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical grape update march 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 08:59:05 PM »
(z86 x d370) x (v shuttleworthii x v aestavalis)

If I didn't know better they look like aestavalis or similar lubrusca type leaves. The mother which is mostly vinifers European grape looks like aestavalis though it has a decent amount of aestavalis in it. Father looks half way between aestavalis and shuttleworthii.

I have been neglecting them they were bone dry with no water for several weeks. I transplanted them to bigger pots so they'll grow better. They have really good roots would be good for root stock. Surprised a lot are suceptibile to black rot though aestavalis here is pretty suceptibile. South Florida has the highest disease pressure for grapes as anywhere in the country so they'll grow better anywhere else including north Florida.

This one has a lot of black rot holes in the leaves. I killed one because it had a lot of black rot. Sadly 2/3 of these will be males with no grapes 1/3 female.

This one is beautiful. No black rot. A tiny amount of rust fungus. More disease resistant than wild aestavalis. Shuttleworthii level disease resistance so far. These are 1.5% muscadine.

This one is tough but the tiny pot was a problem. I'll probably get rid of it because I don't have space. Awesome roots.

Last one. This one shows muscadine level disease resistance. Actually better than most muscadines because even they get black rot here. Ideal mix of tough genes from muscadine, aestavalis and shuttleworthii. Definitely keeping this one. Grapes should be better than muscadine too but hard to say. I would rate aestavalis a bit lower than muscadine, shuttleworthii a bit higher, the female parent had awesome grapes better than the store though a bit small.

Your observations on disease resistance are valuable, especially in a region with high disease pressure like South Florida. It's interesting to note the varying levels of susceptibility to black rot and other diseases among the different hybrids. The one with muscadine-level disease resistance seems promising, and it's excellent that you're keeping it for further evaluation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk