Author Topic: Wanted: Durio species seeds  (Read 4767 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Durio species seeds
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:17:53 PM »
I am looking for seeds of the following Durio species, please let me know if you have them or know someone that does. Thanks!

1) Durio dulcis
2) D. testudinarium
3) D. oblongus
4) D. grandiflorus
5) D. carinatus
6) D. lowianus
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:20:02 PM by murahilin »

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
Re: Wanted: Durio species seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »
I am looking for seeds of the following Durio species, please let me know if you have them or know someone that does. Thanks!

1) Durio dulcis
2) D. testudinarium
3) D. oblongus
4) D. grandiflorus
5) D. carinatus
6) D. lowianus

I am searching for those bellow dulcis for quite some time! They are unfortunately all very hard to obtain. Especially grandiflorus. I would just add durio kinabaluensis and durio macrantha to this to make a perfect wanted list for me :-))
Anyway, I will join with you on this - if anyone have any of those species, right after you contact Murahilin, please, let me know too. :-)

By the way, I know that durio dulcis is currently being sold by afriadoni - just both few seeds from her few days ago.
Durian & avocado lover

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »

I am searching for those bellow dulcis for quite some time! They are unfortunately all very hard to obtain. Especially grandiflorus. I would just add durio kinabaluensis and durio macrantha to this to make a perfect wanted list for me :-))
Anyway, I will join with you on this - if anyone have any of those species, right after you contact Murahilin, please, let me know too. :-)

By the way, I know that durio dulcis is currently being sold by afriadoni - just both few seeds from her few days ago.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the D. dulcis. I am actually looking for all of these species for a friend of mine in Puerto Rico. He already has a few different edible Durio species and he is trying to complete his collection.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
They are sold here now but not cheap because they are rare.

Better try to get them from Indonesia. Soon i'm in Singapore and if i know what you like i can bring the seeds but i again i guess Indonesia is cheaper then Singapore.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »

Thanks for the heads up regarding the D. dulcis. I am actually looking for all of these species for a friend of mine in Puerto Rico. He already has a few different edible Durio species and he is trying to complete his collection.

Oh! I thought this was your Christmas wish list for next year for being a good boy.  ;)
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:53:17 AM »

Better try to get them from Indonesia. Soon i'm in Singapore and if i know what you like i can bring the seeds but i again i guess Indonesia is cheaper then Singapore.

If you come across any of the Durio species listed let me know.

Oh! I thought this was your Christmas wish list for next year for being a good boy.  ;)

Lol, I've given up on growing the ultra tropicals here in FL. I rather help a friend get the seeds and actually be able to grow them in a more suitable environment. Do you have access to any of these Durio species in Hawaii?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:57:02 AM »

You really do make me smile sometimes! Absolutely none of these available in Bangkok or Singapore!
Even than you need to get good clone as most of these species have different varieties and various degrees of palatibility . There are 4 var. of durio dulcis in different shades of yellow and amount of flesh per variety. Durio lowianus have round pale flesh variety and oblong yellow flesh. Finding someone who made correct identification  is next to impossible.
More common durio as kutejensis have dozens of varieties. Some barely edible and some recommended for commercial planting.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »

If you come across any of the Durio species listed let me know.

Lol, I've given up on growing the ultra tropicals here in FL. I rather help a friend get the seeds and actually be able to grow them in a more suitable environment. Do you have access to any of these Durio species in Hawaii?

Must be a very good friend! You're searching for him for the holy grails of the fruit world. You want to know if i have them? If i told you i was in possesion of the shroud of Christ would you believe me?   ;)
Seriously, i did have a couple of nice sized Durio dulcis trees planted but they both succombed to phytophtora.  :'( Also Durianlover kindly sent me seeds of testudinarium. They sprouted but also croaked.  :'( :'(  It's not easy to obtain the holy grail. As to the other species on your wish list, honestly it might be easier to find gold bullion on the streets of Miami. But if you do find them make sure to PM me first.  ;)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:30:03 AM »

You really do make me smile sometimes! Absolutely none of these available in Bangkok or Singapore!
Even than you need to get good clone as most of these species have different varieties and various degrees of palatibility . There are 4 var. of durio dulcis in different shades of yellow and amount of flesh per variety. Durio lowianus have round pale flesh variety and oblong yellow flesh. Finding someone who made correct identification  is next to impossible.
More common durio as kutejensis have dozens of varieties. Some barely edible and some recommended for commercial planting.

If you are so sure then how many $ do i get if i show a pic of me eating one from the list today here in BKK?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:27 AM »
Ok, I'll  give $50. Upload a picture of the fruit put on today's or tomorrow's date main Bangkok newspaper. Than picture of open fruit and the seed with the same background. 3 pictures total.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:29:07 AM »
Ok, I'll  give $50. Upload a picture of the fruit put on today's or tomorrow's date main Bangkok newspaper. Than picture of open fruit and the seed with the same background. 3 pictures total.

Then i loose money on the deal. Life ain't cheap here and for durians the Thai will pay top$.

So you don't sound so confident anymore? 50$ is 1500 baht my japanese dinner tonight will cost more and a rare durian as well.

I always have to smile when i hear an american speaking like he knows it all. Nobody can claim that about Thailand, Everything is possible here. I live here 12 years now and am still surprised every day.

I won't be surprised if those durians go for a few 100 us$ a piece but i didn't see the price because they will change it depending on who's asking for it. Now you want to know where i 've seen them right? Even that costs more then 50 us$  or some scions of that new mango from sri lanka. ;D

Maybe mr Wilson can tell you where to find them, i can only say that it is very very busy there...... :P :-X
If you know it all then you should also know what's going on in BKK right now. You can also buy airlayerd jaboticaba tree's or grafted fingerlimes there to give you some hints. :-X

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 05:42:11 AM »

He's on the same quest as I am then. :-) Although Puerto Rico is much much better place to start growing durian collection.. :-)
Durian & avocado lover

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:04 AM »
I would be also surprised to find these in Thailand, but I've never been to Thailand, so I have absolutely no idea. :-) But well, when it's possible to get fresh durian in Czech Republic, why not wild rare durian in Thailand? :-)

Durian & avocado lover

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »
It is truly time for Bangcock the bull $hitter to be removed from this site.  Isnt it time a stop is put to his constant lies.

Oh, and him take a picture,  HAHA, he cant even show us his mega collection of plants he has in his "but i dont have the space" property yet he is going to take a picture of the rare durio species at the market. 
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »
Ok, bangkok, I'm  increasing my stakes if you think I was too cheap for you. 300 USD, take a video of one of those rare durians,  murahilin is looking for placed on major Thai newspaper in the next 2 days.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »
Well they were on the Agriculture fair from Kasetsart university. That will be very crowded today and tomorrow and probably they are sold allready but you never know. They also sold tree's, grafted.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
Must be a very good friend! You're searching for him for the holy grails of the fruit world. You want to know if i have them? If i told you i was in possesion of the shroud of Christ would you believe me?   ;)
Seriously, i did have a couple of nice sized Durio dulcis trees planted but they both succombed to phytophtora.  :'( Also Durianlover kindly sent me seeds of testudinarium. They sprouted but also croaked.  :'( :'(  It's not easy to obtain the holy grail. As to the other species on your wish list, honestly it might be easier to find gold bullion on the streets of Miami. But if you do find them make sure to PM me first.  ;)

He has the same problems with phytophthora.

Here is what he has right now:

D. kutajensis
D. dulcis (has one left I think, the rest died from phytophthora)
D. testudinarium (one left)
D. oxleyanus
D. graveolens
D. macrantha
D. zibethinus (odorless and regular)

I just ordered some D. excelsus from Maryoto for him but that is not one with a palatable fruit though.

I suggest he tried using Bacillus subtilis to attempt to combat the phytophthora because I've a few articles stating that it is supposed to be effective against it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

He has the same problems with phytophthora.

Here is what he has right now:

D. kutajensis
D. dulcis (has one left I think, the rest died from phytophthora)
D. testudinarium (one left)
D. oxleyanus
D. graveolens
D. macrantha
D. zibethinus (odorless and regular)

I just ordered some D. excelsus from Maryoto for him but that is not one with a palatable fruit though.

I suggest he tried using Bacillus subtilis to attempt to combat the phytophthora because I've a few articles stating that it is supposed to be effective against it.

Seems like a great collection of durios already. He's only missing testudinarium. I think the other ones on your list are probably not that great to eat.
If i had to do it over again, and maybe i will, i would plant durios on a raised mound and use a lot of cinder (or other porous material) for very good drainage. He can also try grafting the durios on rootstock that is less susceptible to phytotphora. I think Mike mentioned that macrantha is resistant?
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk