Author Topic: Marang, Jackfruit and Papaya in Zone 9  (Read 2648 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Marang, Jackfruit and Papaya in Zone 9
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
Thanks, i heard about the TR Hovey, i may have to try and grow it one day.
how does it taste compared to Maradol, Red Lady etc... ?

I have seeds from someone in Malaysia who said they had 2 types.
One was a giant fruit,and the other was very sweet.
He didnt know the variety, but ive got both type seeds
i will be growing in early spring.

Do you know if Marang or jackfruit is cold hardy compared to Papaya ?
Since i know i can grow Papaya, i wanted a Marang (or Cheena or Jack) , but i am hearing
it may not work

durai

• DURAI
  • MALAYSIA
    • Johor Bahru, MALAYSIA
    • View Profile
Re: Marang, Jackfruit and Papaya in Zone 9
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
The two Malaysian varieties of Papaya are
 'Sekaki' and 'Hong Kong'.  The giant papaya
is the 'Malaysian Jumbo'.
Enjoy growing them.
Durai

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Marang, Jackfruit and Papaya in Zone 9
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
I believe the marang is more cold sensitive, so, you're best chance might be a jack instead. But young trees, are also cold sensitive too, but mature, well established trees, can with stand down to freezing, a few hours. Maybe some limb die backs, frost burns or the tree can be burn all the way down to the ground and if the roots are big and strong, they might grow back. Seedlings are known, to be more cold hardy, than grafted trees, so try to get a bunch of good seeds from a good variety, crunchy flesh is prefer by most. There is also a soft/mushy flesh type, people says, that type makes them gag. So, get a bunch of seeds, grow them out, let them over winter outside w/o protection(1+year old), the ones left with min damage, should prove to be a bit more cold hardy, than the ones, that did die or didn't die, but suffer major damage.

BTW, TR Hovey, doesn't produce true seeds or if any. I could be wrong though, I got mine as tissue culture from wellspringgardens.org, from FL. It was cheap. Could have grown bigger, if they had a better sunnier location, but they're in a mostly shaded spot. Only, when, the sun is over head, do they get most of their sun light.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk