Author Topic: Rootstocks for Lucuma?  (Read 10547 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Rootstocks for Lucuma?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Your cleft grafted one is OK . Do you want a inverted one. I am sure we can trade for something.
Mike

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
Your cleft grafted one is OK . Do you want a inverted one. I am sure we can trade for something.

the cleft grafted one I have is doing great....just seems like there are some mites in my yard that like to mess up the foliage.  I have been spraying with sevin, hope it helps.

don't worry about saving the inverted tree for me, but if you have extras I'd just buy one (or trade)....i'm too lazy to graft one for myself.  ;D

I have a bunch of canistel rootstocks, i was going to graft up some ross saps, regular and inverted...still haven't got around to it yet.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
Another good candidate for rootstock of lucuma might be jacana, also called bully tree (Pouteria multiflora). It looks like a wild relative of canistel, but jacana is a LOT more productive and vigorous than canistel.

how is the flavor and texture of jacana compared to canistel?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
Another good candidate for rootstock of lucuma might be jacana, also called bully tree (Pouteria multiflora). It looks like a wild relative of canistel, but jacana is a LOT more productive and vigorous than canistel.

Gunnar: I've had jacana (p. multiflora) from a couple of different trees. The flavor and texture is similar to canistel but a bit less intese and probably a bit more like latex. The big seed takes up most of the fruit (60-70%?). Thicker skin. The tree gets quite big. In my opinion jacana an inferior tree to canistel or Ross sapote so I have no interest in growing. I guess it could be an intresting rootstock for other sapotaceas because jacana is suppossed to be more vigorous but I also think it would make for a bigger tree overall.
Federico
Homestead, FL

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »

Gunnar: I've had jacana (p. multiflora) from a couple of different trees. The flavor and texture is similar to canistel but a bit less intese and probably a bit more like latex. The big seed takes up most of the fruit (60-70%?). Thicker skin. The tree gets quite big. In my opinion jacana an inferior tree to canistel or Ross sapote so I have no interest in growing. I guess it could be an intresting rootstock for other sapotaceas because jacana is suppossed to be more vigorous but I also think it would make for a bigger tree overall.

fsanchez, thanks!  That's 2 in a row  ;)  Your answer gave me all I needed to know.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk