Author Topic: Anyone growing Eugenia reinwardtiana??  (Read 19917 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Anyone growing Eugenia reinwardtiana??
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »
Wondering if anyone is growing or fruiting this species in FL, CA or HI?

Interested also in fruit description, and other information about the tree!

Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Anyone growing Eugenia reinwardtiana??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
Wondering if anyone is growing or fruiting this species in FL, CA or HI?

Interested also in fruit description, and other information about the tree!

Thanks!

I have a couple of the cedar bay cherries, or beach cherries, growing, but still small. I bought some plants from Logee's and then found out it is a native Hawaiian plant! Duhhhhh. But i've never seen it growing wild here. I tasted them at Roger Meyer's home in California. OK, but not to walk a mile for.
Oscar
Oscar

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Sorry, I'm not in a tropical locale, and I haven't tasted them yet...  But I am growing Eugenia reinwardtiana in a container- I got two from Logee's about 13 months ago, probably when Oscar did.

Seems to be very easy to grow, not demanding of fertilizer or sensitive to it, and seems to be happy from half-shade to full sun.  They tolerated very low humidity and high winds very well last summer when they were outside, but grew very slowly.

They seem very precocious- mine were 4" tall when I got them last January, and they both bloomed by the end of the summer (August here in Colorado) when they hit about 1 foot tall.  A couple fruits formed on each plant, but they aborted when I had to pull them inside for the winter-- they were put in my living room with very little light for 4 months while I was finishing their more ideal winter quarters.  Within 2 weeks of being given light and constant warmth (65 at night, 85 during the day), they have matured another 4" flush of growth and are pushing another flush now.  To my optimistic eye, they appear to be developing flower buds again as well, but I'll know for sure in a couple weeks.

Kevin

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »

Not in sub tropical US or Hawai'i but here is mine. It is a fantastic fruit. there is a lot of variation between trees and some can taste as bad as pitanga. mine is as good as any Eugenia in my yard - blows the Grumimchama out of the water. Taste is like a soft peachy apricotty flavor. The major downside here is that we've just had myrtle rust introduced and this plant has zero resistance. It eats the fruits and really knocks the plant around, so this is one plant that may not survive in my garden. pity.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »

Not in sub tropical US or Hawai'i but here is mine. It is a fantastic fruit. there is a lot of variation between trees and some can taste as bad as pitanga. mine is as good as any Eugenia in my yard - blows the Grumimchama out of the water. Taste is like a soft peachy apricotty flavor. The major downside here is that we've just had myrtle rust introduced and this plant has zero resistance. It eats the fruits and really knocks the plant around, so this is one plant that may not survive in my garden. pity.

Yes, i've noticed that both of my plants already have the rust you mention, here called guava rust (also called Ohia rust, affects all myrataceaes). This same rust has already wiped out all the rose apples here, which used to be a vigorous invasive weed here. So far i've just picked off the parts with the rust and the rest of the plant has been fine, but not sure if i can ever get it to fruit.
Oscar
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:47:43 AM »
They have it growing as a hedge at the Fruit & Spice Park, right along the restrooms by the carambola. You must have walked right past it.  The fruit is relatively small on that plant, of decent taste, but nothing like the beautiful looking fruit pic posted by BMc.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:04:43 AM »
I have one that is growing in a pot.  Its fruited for a few years now.  The fruits are decent, but not as good as my grumichamas.  That leads me to wonder how much variation there is in the fruit.  I am sure quite a bit.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
I have a few I started from seed last year. They seemed to germinate easy and have a high germination rate. Very slow growth though

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
They grow along nearly 2000km of queenslands coast in a variety of climates and seem to be common as a beachy understorey tree.There is much variation in characters including fruit quality even in local areas.The general consensus regarding wild plants is that good ones are good and bad ones are bad.Thicker fleshed ones are batter all round and those from se qld would go ok in cooler climates.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
They grow along nearly 2000km of queenslands coast in a variety of climates and seem to be common as a beachy understorey tree.There is much variation in characters including fruit quality even in local areas.The general consensus regarding wild plants is that good ones are good and bad ones are bad.Thicker fleshed ones are batter all round and those from se qld would go ok in cooler climates.

Are there selections on good fruiting plants from the wild?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »
There should be, but not to my knowledge.
The one I had (above) was excellent. As good as any berry/cherry type eugenia ive had. unfortunately this species has little resistance to myrtle rust and my plant was destroyed by it, as have been many others.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:01:40 AM »
There should be, but not to my knowledge.
The one I had (above) was excellent. As good as any berry/cherry type eugenia ive had. unfortunately this species has little resistance to myrtle rust and my plant was destroyed by it, as have been many others.

Yeah, mine also got myrtle rust, here called guava rust or ohia rust, although should be called rose apple rust, as rose apples are plants worst affected. The Cedar Bay cherry (E. reintwardiana) doesn't seem to badly affected so far.  After byuing a couple of Cedar Bay cherries from Logee's i found out they are native to Hawaii, but i've never seen them growing wild here. Maybe on another island? The one i got to taste at Roger Meyer's place was so so, but heard there are very tasty ones out there.
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:32 AM »
Oscar, I'm unsure if myrtle and guava rust are the same. It may be, but Im sure we've had guava rust for a while, but the myrtle rust is a recent introduction, that hammers native plants here. This one and Backhousia are write offs. it eats the fruit  and is bright orange and super aggressive. Below is an idea of what it did in the early stages, in the later stages the tree was a mosaic of black and orange. This is also the reason we are unable to import anything myrtaceous - so as much as I may want hybrid red and blue jaboticaba seeds, I'll have to wait for this to naturalise.  :(

I have a lemon scented myrtle that I have to chop down over the weekend because the infection is too far gone to treat.  :(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:13:40 AM »
Hi BMc, yes i belive guava rust and myrtle rust are the same Puccinia psidii, but there are several different races of this same species, which can affect different set of plants.
What if anything have you used as treatment against it?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
tasted E. reinwardtiana, and it was phenomenal...way better than grumichama...plant I ate fruit off of, came from logees...not sure if they have a superior type?

I'm on the bandwagon now...I gotta grow me at least one of these !

Surprised more aren't growing it...doesn't it have a fair amount of salt tolerance?  If so, I'd put this one high on my list of plants to have at a beach house!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
tasted E. reinwardtiana, and it was phenomenal...way better than grumichama...plant I ate fruit off of, came from logees...not sure if they have a superior type?

I'm on the bandwagon now...I gotta grow me at least one of these !

Surprised more aren't growing it...doesn't it have a fair amount of salt tolerance?  If so, I'd put this one high on my list of plants to have at a beach house!

I got a couple from Logee's also. They both are a bit stunted from guava rust. I think it must be a superior strain because most of those fruits are not worth writing home about. This plant is supposed to be native to Hawaii, but i've never seen it growing wild here. Tasted one at Roger Meyer's place in Souther Cal.  and it wasn't very good at all!
Oscar

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
I now have a small one, ordered from Logee's aswell, two or three months ago. Only has a dozen or so leaves on it but it looks happy.  :)

-Luke

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
They are a common plant here both in gardens and in the wild.They sure have a high salt tolerance and grow right up to the limit of tidal influence.Beach cherry is an alterate name.There is alot of variation in fruit quality.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Thanks 3 amigos for quick responses!

I'm thinking of  trying to graft this onto E. uniflora, or even E. neonitida...  I wish I had some small E. reinwartiana seedlings to graft onto!

anyone wanna work a tradesky?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »

I'm thinking of  trying to graft this onto E. uniflora, or even E. neonitida...  I wish I had some small E. reinwartiana seedlings to graft onto!

I wonder how Logee's is propagating the ceday bay cherries? My guess is they're all seedlings. I guess you could ask them?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

I wonder how Logee's is propagating the ceday bay cherries? My guess is they're all seedlings. I guess you could ask them?

They might be cuttings!  Cuttings aren't too hard to root I believe...especially if you have a mist bed at your disposal.

Even easier might be marcottage...I might throw some air wraps on that beast.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

They might be cuttings!  Cuttings aren't too hard to root I believe...especially if you have a mist bed at your disposal.

The ones I got from Logee's looked like cuttings, and so did Luke's.   Adam had previously mentioned successful leaf cuttings with another Eugenia; that might work for these as well. 

Hoping to get fruit on mine this summer; they flowered last year but have since doubled in size.

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
That was fast! CoPlantNut,

I think you figured out how logee's propagates them! Leaf cuttingz!!

Thanks for posting! Now that u mention it...the plant my friend has looks like cutting, but u can never be sure with some of those bush eugenias...I'd have to see the root system..bare.

The ones I got from Logee's looked like cuttings, and so did Luke's.   Adam had previously mentioned successful leaf cuttings with another Eugenia; that might work for these as well. 

Hoping to get fruit on mine this summer; they flowered last year but have since doubled in size.

Kevin
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
That was fast! CoPlantNut,

I think you figured out how logee's propagates them! Leaf cuttingz!!

Thanks for posting! Now that u mention it...the plant my friend has looks like cutting, but u can never be sure with some of those bush eugenias...I'd have to see the root system..bare.

I bare-rooted mine 18 months ago when I got them, and they looked like they were stem cuttings; certainly didn't look like seedlings, and they could not have been leaf cuttings.  Stem cuttings are probably faster to establish (edit: to a salable size for Logee's) than leaf cuttings, but you can get a whole lot more plants with leaf cuttings!

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:01 PM »
CoPlantNut,

ok! that was still fast!  :D

Glad to hear of success with cuttings!!!
Thanks for the good info!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com