Author Topic: What do you do with your Suriname cherries?  (Read 11466 times)

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
What do you do with your Suriname cherries?
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:48 AM »
You know besides eat them out of hand.

I make jam with them and it comes out good.

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your Suriname cherries?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
Besides eatings them fresh? Throw them at squirrels. Perfect size for a slingshot...
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
You know besides eat them out of hand.

I make jam with them and it comes out good.

I would make a jelly out of them if I ever would up with enough AFTER eating them out of hand...
- Rob

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »
They make good wine.
Mike

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
also try juicing, or making fruit leather...

If I could could drink wine, I'd make some...

but juicing and dehydrating are my favorite options.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
Throw them at squirrels. Perfect size for a slingshot...

BWAH!!

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, this is the first time I haven't been able to eat all of the fruit from the trees.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
Haven't tried it, but I have always thought that Surinam cherries could be made into a fabulous syrup for over vanilla ice cream. But, as others have indicated, I have never had enough to  survive the trip between my trees and the kitchen!

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
Watch them shrivel up and drop to the ground.   :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
Watch them shrivel up and drop to the ground.   :)

Sounds like you got a real special variety...maybe u should start grafting them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
When I had three bushes, I let them fall to the ground, ultimately I pulled the bushes. Yuk!
Regards,

Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »
When I had three bushes, I let them fall to the ground, ultimately I pulled the bushes. Yuk!

have you ever tried fruits from a grafted tree? or named variety?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »

Mine were grafted, they were named yuk :-) VERY resinous, like drinking kerosene. When they were very nearly black/purple they were almost palatable but I'd rather not. If there is a variety that doesn't have the resin flavor, I'd give them a shot again... maybe.

Regards,

Gary

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
They make a good Brazilian cocktail. Cachaca, cherries, sugar, lime.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
I think there are some excellent varieties out there.  Part of the equation is finding a good variety....but that's not going to solve the problem for sure.

I think there are some people who just hate the resinous taste so much, they will detect even the smallest trace of resin in the fruit.  And even the best varieties will have trace amounts of resinous flavor...undetectable to some, but not all!

I've personally noticed that although every surinam cherry ive tasted has a resinous flavor, not all of the resins taste the same...some taste like diesel fuel, but the resins of best varieties taste more like carrot/tomato.

If I find one that has absolutely no trace of resin I will let you know, but I haven't tasted that one yet...(Have heard reports of this, but it's subjective).  This year I might get to taste a few new varieties...the Smooth type, and another red variety I got from a forum member...i forget the name now.  So far the best i've had was zill black...(not the same zill black that's sold today, the original tree was lost)...the original zill black taste much like welches grape juice to me....very very little resin flavor, and a resin flavor profile I could appreciate...but maybe it's all in my head?   

Mine were grafted, they were named yuk :-) VERY resinous, like drinking kerosene. When they were very nearly black/purple they were almost palatable but I'd rather not. If there is a variety that doesn't have the resin flavor, I'd give them a shot again... maybe.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:01:30 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »
Gotta go with Gnappi on this one. We had some bushes that came with the house, tried some, then just turned it into a permanent hedge.  Finally ripped em out. Have tried some at our archery range where they are everywhere growing pretty much wild, same thing, one and done. If I were to find one that tastes good would plant it as a not so manicured hedge somewhere around the house.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:50 AM »
There must be a lot of bad trees up there, because I have never had one that had a diesel flavor. Some are way better than others. I wonder if it is because its warmer here?     

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:40 AM »
Gotta go with Gnappi on this one. We had some bushes that came with the house, tried some, then just turned it into a permanent hedge.  Finally ripped em out. Have tried some at our archery range where they are everywhere growing pretty much wild, same thing, one and done. If I were to find one that tastes good would plant it as a not so manicured hedge somewhere around the house.

There is a huge difference between a graftef variety and a random hedge plant.  Most of the plants found in random hedges, as inexpensive plants purchased from local landscape nurseries,  are just seedlings grown for the purpose of landscape stock/material.   Most of the fruit from these plants are truly insipid.   I am not saying you cant find a good fruit from a hedge plant (that is where the original Zill black/dark came from) but the chances are low.  With that being said, if you plant enough seeds from good fruits, you will probably eventually find one decent or even very good selection.

Bottom line,  I will not guarantee that you will like it however i would suggest trying a fruit from a grafted named variety of a hand picked seedling selection as your opinion of the fruit may change for the better.
- Rob

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
My Zill I got at Excalibur is turning color now. Blackstar from sevenhead ebay is starting set second year crop. Vermillion, Champa, Florida Giant, FAU's Red,  Franciscu's  Jumbo Black have another  year or so to go before a taste battle. Wait till it turn black, seeded it & coat it with belgian chocolate & it makes cordial cherry suitable for the Dumpster.  A fine ripen selected variety fruit will enhance chocolate coating to the next level! 👍👍👍😎.
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
Rob, what named varieties do you have at excalibur?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:21:41 AM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
never thought of dipping them in chocolate 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Rob, what named varieties do you have at excalibur?

Zill Dark and possibly (if there are any left) another grafted variety that slips my mind at the moment.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
I think there are some excellent varieties out there.  Part of the equation is finding a good variety....but that's not going to solve the problem for sure.

I think there are some people who just hate the resinous taste so much, they will detect even the smallest trace of resin in the fruit.  And even the best varieties will have trace amounts of resinous flavor...undetectable to some, but not all!

I've personally noticed that although every surinam cherry ive tasted has a resinous flavor, not all of the resins taste the same...some taste like diesel fuel, but the resins of best varieties taste more like carrot/tomato.

If I find one that has absolutely no trace of resin I will let you know, but I haven't tasted that one yet...(Have heard reports of this, but it's subjective).  This year I might get to taste a few new varieties...the Smooth type, and another red variety I got from a forum member...i forget the name now.  So far the best i've had was zill black...(not the same zill black that's sold today, the original tree was lost)...the original zill black taste much like welches grape juice to me....very very little resin flavor, and a resin flavor profile I could appreciate...but maybe it's all in my head?   

So, you had Zill's black surinams that were different than the zill's dark/black being sold at excalibur?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
Rob you know I am down to taste pretty much anything except a kumquat LOL change my mind would be fine.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
Are Zill's black that much better other blacks...production etc? As far as reds pick them dark red and ripe to over ripe. Gather them and eat later. This way it is easier for you to toss any clunkers. But darker they are the fewer astringent ones you get.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:23:04 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk