Author Topic: Mai 3 Jackfruit  (Read 5220 times)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mai 3 Jackfruit
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
Just cut down our first jack from the Mai 3. It is 34 pounds. Haven't cut it open yet because I have a question about ripeness. About 20% of the jack has brown coloration with a couple soft spots. But the rest of the jack is green and hard. Is it possible that it is unevenly ripe, and if so, should I leave it on the counter for a couple days to help it?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mai 3 Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
PM sent.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
Could it be fungus? Some of my jacks have had issue with some sort of fungus this year.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
Wow, great picture!  I have not tasted mai 3 yet.  I am hoping my tree will fruit next year.  I look forward to reading your taste report.

So far I do not have any experience with uneven ripening.  The general browning I see on the outside is not really a sign of ripeness. I have a seedling that gets really ugly, brown and black, on the outside 6 to 8 weeks before it is ready.  When a jackfruit has a well defined black or brown circle that is very soft, it can be over ripe for my tastes.  From what I see in the picture, it does not look overripe to me but a close up picture of the soft spots might tell a different story.

Brandon

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Cut it open. It was alternating sections of unripe and rotted fruit. But it wasn't overripe in sections. The fruit went straight from being underripe to being rotten. Fungal infection?

The other jackfruit on the tree has the same spreading brown on the outside.

This has gotten to be a strong 15 foot tree. I'm so disappointed! Jackfruit is one of my favorite fruits and I was looking forward to fruit from this tree for the past 5 years.

Suggestions?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »
That stinks... I have had fruit that had signs of infection in the core but the bulbs tasted fine.  I never spray my jakfruit trees but it is starting to looks like everything in the yard needs fungicide  :(

Everything I have read so far states jackfruit are disease and pest free but I found this:

http://www.itfnet.org/v1/2012/09/observations-on-the-occurrence-of-brown-specks-on-jackfruit-seeded-arils-%E2%80%93-a-combination-of-disease-and-abiotic-factors/
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
This year was the first year that I've noted what I believe to be fungal issues on my jacks. We've had a boatload of rain this summer.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:29:13 PM »
Who has a Mai 3? Is it particularly susceptible to problems?

As my trees get bigger, I'm going to have to start some maintenance programs a little more extensive than mulching and pruning. Can anyone give me some pointers on spraying (timing, frequency, etc.)?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »
I haven't started spraying my jacks yet. This was the first year that I had fungal issues, and I attribute it to what will likely be one of the rainiest summers in recent south florida history.

Your best bet for getting a maintenance program figured out is to call Har out to your place for a consultation / recommendation. He really helped me zero in on mine. Right now I'm trying to get him on a quarterly schedule to come and give recommendations based on anything new that I've run across.

Now, with the TL;DR version out of the way, here is the magna carta for those of you who are still reading:

It's going to be really specific to your soil and micro-climate (you'd be surprised how much variance there is in South Florida, especially in the former). But here are some general guidelines that I've learned per Mr Har.

For most mango trees grown inland, it's imperative to establish a monthly or bi-weekly fungicide spraying routine starting from flower and lasting til the end of growing season. A powdery mildew fungicide should be used during the cool season (eg, sulfur) and switched for copper or another warm weather / anthracnose fungicide once temps start to rise. You can skip the fungicide once harvest is finished for most trees. However, some trees will continue to need applications until growth stops, depending on how much rain we're getting.

Nordox has been my favorite warm weather fungicide to date, but it is high in copper, so you may want to get a soil test done first. (If you're using enough mulch, you may actually have a Cu deficiency and can use Cu fungicides without worry.) One nice thing about Nordox is that it is extremely rainfast, so application frequency can be dropped to once per month. It's a good idea to rotate something else in to stave off formation of resistance. Abound is probably the best rotator I can think of, unless you're staunch on going 100% organic, in which case you can use something like double nickel 55.

You will want to be pruning most of your trees either yearly or biennially to keep them at around 14 feet. This is a major pain in the neck (both literally and figuratively) if you have more than a couple of trees. It also seems to be a catalyst for mango infection on many cultivars -- as all the new growth can rapidly become infested with anthracnose -- requiring you to continue your fungicide regimen until end of growing season.

As far as fertilizer goes, the mulch will not be enough. It will provide an excellent base for your trees to grow in, but the organic material has a tendency to lock up micronutrients. So, you will want to use something like the Hartilizer which has a complete micro package with a high amount of slow release potassium and zero nitrogen. Your normal 8-3-9 or any home depot fertilizer will be comprised of purely water soluble ingredients, which will be gone in 2 good downpours. The K in Hartilzer, on the other hand will last for weeks or months.

Based on your own unique situation, you may need to add specialty fertilizers to your routine. For example, I also use gypsum to provide Ca due to the fact that most of my trees are growing in a foot of compost. Suflur may also be used to drop the pH in areas where it's both a problem and the soil has a composition that is amenable to pH adjustment.

If you have annonas (eg, sugar apple, atemoya), you will very likely need to spray insecticide to keep the leaf hoppers at bay, which will decimate their host trees if left uncontrolled. And if you have carambola, lobate lac scale will be a persistent problem requiring treatment. There are various biologicals which are effective against both. I have had success with a neenix and botanigard combo. Just be warned that both products need to be stored in a cool environment if you wish to keep them for more than a few months, as they degrade quickly in high temps. A weekly or bi-weekly spray regimen is most effective.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:09:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff. You are a wealth of information.  :)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
Thank you, Jeff! That is a huge help. And good idea about calling in Har as my trees develop. I'm on it!

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
I haven't started spraying my jacks yet. This was the first year that I had fungal issues, and I attribute it to what will likely be one of the rainiest summers in recent south florida history.

Your best bet for getting a maintenance program figured out is to call Har out to your place for a consultation / recommendation. He really helped me zero in on mine. Right now I'm trying to get him on a quarterly schedule to come and give recommendations based on anything new that I've run across.

Now, with the TL;DR version out of the way, here is the magna carta for those of you who are still reading:

It's going to be really specific to your soil and micro-climate (you'd be surprised how much variance there is in South Florida, especially in the former). But here are some general guidelines that I've learned per Mr Har.

For most mango trees grown inland, it's imperative to establish a monthly or bi-weekly fungicide spraying routine starting from flower and lasting til the end of growing season. A powdery mildew fungicide should be used during the cool season (eg, sulfur) and switched for copper or another warm weather / anthracnose fungicide once temps start to rise. You can skip the fungicide once harvest is finished for most trees. However, some trees will continue to need applications until growth stops, depending on how much rain we're getting.

Nordox has been my favorite warm weather fungicide to date, but it is high in copper, so you may want to get a soil test done first. (If you're using enough mulch, you may actually have a Cu deficiency and can use Cu fungicides without worry.) One nice thing about Nordox is that it is extremely rainfast, so application frequency can be dropped to once per month. It's a good idea to rotate something else in to stave off formation of resistance. Abound is probably the best rotator I can think of, unless you're staunch on going 100% organic, in which case you can use something like double nickel 55.

You will want to be pruning most of your trees either yearly or biennially to keep them at around 14 feet. This is a major pain in the neck (both literally and figuratively) if you have more than a couple of trees. It also seems to be a catalyst for mango infection on many cultivars -- as all the new growth can rapidly become infested with anthracnose -- requiring you to continue your fungicide regimen until end of growing season.

As far as fertilizer goes, the mulch will not be enough. It will provide an excellent base for your trees to grow in, but the organic material has a tendency to lock up micronutrients. So, you will want to use something like the Hartilizer which has a complete micro package with a high amount of slow release potassium and zero nitrogen. Your normal 8-3-9 or any home depot fertilizer will be comprised of purely water soluble ingredients, which will be gone in 2 good downpours. The K in Hartilzer, on the other hand will last for weeks or months.

Based on your own unique situation, you may need to add specialty fertilizers to your routine. For example, I also use gypsum to provide Ca due to the fact that most of my trees are growing in a foot of compost. Suflur may also be used to drop the pH in areas where it's both a problem and the soil has a composition that is amenable to pH adjustment.

If you have annonas (eg, sugar apple, atemoya), you will very likely need to spray insecticide to keep the leaf hoppers at bay, which will decimate their host trees if left uncontrolled. And if you have carambola, lobate lac scale will be a persistent problem requiring treatment. There are various biologicals which are effective against both. I have had success with a neenix and botanigard combo. Just be warned that both products need to be stored in a cool environment if you wish to keep them for more than a few months, as they degrade quickly in high temps. A weekly or bi-weekly spray regimen is most effective.

Nice info Cook.

Are you applying Sulfur yet?  What OMRI product seems to work well for that?

Can you mix Nordox with Sulfur in backpack sprayer?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:54:02 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Sulfur spraying doesn't start until mangoes start blooming. I'm using THAT flowable sulfur, which isn't OMRI listed but is comprised of NOP approved ingredients (micronized sulfur). But, be careful when using sulfur. It can be phytotoxic to tender foliage, especially lemon zest. Make sure not to use it when temps are above about 85F. So,if you have a mango that with tender / young foliage, try to spray around the foliage.

Nordox can be tank mixed with sulfur. However, it should be pretty rare that you need to do so, as nordox is more for anthracnose (warm weather problem) and sulfur is more for powdery mildew (cool weather problem). And you probably don't want to use nordox on mango blooms.

Nice info Cook.

Are you applying Sulfer yet?  What OMRI product seems to work well for that?

Can you mix Nordox with Sulfer in backpack sprayer?

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Sulfur spraying doesn't start until mangoes start blooming. I'm using THAT flowable sulfur, which isn't OMRI listed but is comprised of NOP approved ingredients (micronized sulfur). But, be careful when using sulfur. It can be phytotoxic to tender foliage, especially lemon zest. Make sure not to use it when temps are above about 85F. So,if you have a mango that with tender / young foliage, try to spray around the foliage.

Nordox can be tank mixed with sulfur. However, it should be pretty rare that you need to do so, as nordox is more for anthracnose (warm weather problem) and sulfur is more for powdery mildew (cool weather problem). And you probably don't want to use nordox on mango blooms.

Nice info Cook.

Are you applying Sulfer yet?  What OMRI product seems to work well for that?

Can you mix Nordox with Sulfer in backpack sprayer?

Noted.  Thanks for simplifying that!!
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk