Author Topic: Misc Pouterias, bearing time from seed?  (Read 545 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Misc Pouterias, bearing time from seed?
« on: September 19, 2022, 10:38:11 PM »
I have seedlings of Ross Sapote, Lucuma, Olosapo that are all happy and healthy, but as space becomes tight I am wondering how long I might have to wait for fruit, and how big these will be by that time? 

I've seen grafted Ross Sapote for sale occasionally, but not the others. I've never tried the fruit of any of them, only canistel, and starting to doubt it's worth the wait just to try them.  It might make more sense to fly somewhere that has them in season!

It's shame as they are such nice looking trees.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Pouterias, bearing time from seed?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 10:56:23 PM »
I've seen people have flowering lucuma/ross sapote in pots.
Seems like a 15-25 gallon pot would work...Not sure the time since they are seedlings they would be slower than grafted trees. You can always get scions and graft.
Olosapo has been slow for me, but the fruit is good so I'd do anything to fruit this one up here lol.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
Thanks, that is encouraging to hear.  I can deal with more time if they don't take up a huge amount of space.  I am now at a phase where I am using many of my in-ground greenhouse spots for big seedling trees that I've never tried before, knowing that most of them will be chopped down after I get to try the fruit.  If I can keep them in 20-25gal pots they can probably stay forever

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 02:01:11 PM »
Thanks, that is encouraging to hear.  I can deal with more time if they don't take up a huge amount of space.  I am now at a phase where I am using many of my in-ground greenhouse spots for big seedling trees that I've never tried before, knowing that most of them will be chopped down after I get to try the fruit.  If I can keep them in 20-25gal pots they can probably stay forever
I totally understand you. Space is so limited so I only put the good trees in ground.
white sapote, lychee, mango, guava, jabo, and lemon drop and starfruit
They are subject to change at any given moment but I love all those fruit maybe the gauva might get the axe one day, but I need to see how it does in the long run before that. Everything else is in pots
I was talking to another grower in SFL and he said why plant in ground...mangoes in 25 gallon pots will make 20-25 per tree when big. So my new goal is get more mangoes and grow them in pots also. IN ground stuff is harder than pots. I've also seen abiu flowering in 25 gallon pots.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
All of those fruits are quite good imho brian-

should be worth hanging on to