Author Topic: Transplanting an established lychee tree  (Read 6109 times)

cricketbird

• Tampa, FL 9a
    • View Profile
Transplanting an established lychee tree
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
I just purchased a house with an established (~20 ft) lychee tree in the backyard.  According to neighbors, the tree is probably at least 15-20 years old.

However, my backyard is very shaded under a canopy of live oaks.  The tree does have a few fruit buds, but only on the few branches that stick out of the shade.

I'd like to move the tree to improve its fruit yield and also because I want to put a porch right where it is.

Is it possible to move an "adult" tree?  Are there techniques that would be helpful in making the move a success? 

Thank you,
CB

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Transplanting an established lychee tree
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
http://www.lycheesonline.com/contactus.cfm  <<<<<<  ask these guys

If they say yes then I would do a predig 1-3 weeks before the actual lift and move. Predig means you sever a lot of roots outside your projected rootball but try to keep a large rootball. Water it every day and trim a lot of foliage. You might have a nearby nursery that has the equipment and skills for lifting the tree out of the hole with an intact rootball. They will dig your new hole. My guess is $300-500.

If you can round up 10 strong neighborhood men maybe they can do it without machinery. Water every day after the re-planting

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
I agree with Zands that its possible, but I am doubting his estimation of how easy it will be. A 15-20 yr old tree that is approximately 20 feet tall unless its trimmed and compact will probably require some heavy equipment to dig out. And you are going to want to do it at the height of the rainy season if you ask me.
- David Antonio Garcia

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
The predigging is called "root pruning".  This root pruning and moving will most likely require the guidance and work of a professional arborist/qualified landscape management company to ensure the highest success percenatges.  I say thus because depending on the size of the tree, this may be very difficult.  The survival of lychees can be very tempermental when digging up and moving.  If the root pruning is not done correctly then the percentages of failure increases.

Also, based on the age of the tree mentioned, I would expect the cost to exceed the $300-$500 that zands stated.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
The predigging is called "root pruning".  This root pruning and moving will most likely require the guidance and work of a professional arborist/qualified landscape management company to ensure the highest success percenatges.  I say thus because depending on the size of the tree, this may be very difficult.  The survival of lychees can be very tempermental when digging up and moving.  If the root pruning is not done correctly then the percentages of failure increases.

Also, based on the age of the tree mentioned, I would expect the cost to exceed the $300-$500 that zands stated.

Yes, root pruning is more accurate. I agree it is best to hire an expert and his equipment. To ensure success then get someone who knows what he is doing and be willing to spend more than $500. If cricketbird has the money then go for it! Spend on the lychee and cut out some other stuff.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
I would suggest buying a new lychee tree in 15 gallon pot or larger and planting that. This will be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to move a full grown tree, which would definitely require heavy machinery: a backhoe and a crane at least. And after spending many hundreds of dollars there would be no guarantee it would survive the move.
Oscar

cricketbird

• Tampa, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »
Thanks everyone, for the advice.  Hmmm... I was hopeful that I could save the tree, but am less optimistic now.  I actually have folks who have the heavy equipment to help with the move, but there is no vehicle access to that part of the yard.  It's a manual dig or bust, I suppose.  Sounds like that might kill us all, and the tree to boot.

Maybe it is time for a new baby tree in the front yard...

At any rate, I won't do anything until after it fruits this year.  Looking forward to yummy lychees!  I lived in south Asia for several years, and am so excited to live in a climate (Florida) where I can grow all my old favorites.

Thanks again,
CB

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »
You could always trimm the lower branches and build the porch around the tree.
- David Antonio Garcia

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
This interests me, I hope that you keep us posted if you attempt the transplant.  I transplant with root pruning but I usually leave the roots pruned for 3-4 months before finally digging the tree out.  The idea is that the pruned roots have a chance to re-branch out, within the root-pruned area, and then the root ball is full of active root ends.
I once successfully transplanted a 3.5 meter mangosteen tree like that.  I didn't think it had a good chance of working but the owner insisted and eventually the transplant worked out.  We gave the roots 4 months after the pruning and then dug the tree out with shovels during the rainiest time, hauled it out of the hole by hand on top of a tarp and drug it to the new planting hole some 30m away.
Peter

JoCopley

• Australia, Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 09:51:01 PM »
For anybody interested, we just dug out a 17 year old Lychee tree and moved it with our bare hands onto the tail lift of a truck, then onto a 4 wheeled cart and pushed it along from the truck to the new hole. IT was a completely mammoth job and we needed to use a post hold digger to get low enough under the roots and get the whole root ball. We were lucky it was in a planter box raised from the ground as well.. We have only just planted it yesterday and will see how it goes.. Probably the most physically difficult thing i've ever done (ever...) it is possible without machinery but extremely difficult especially with only two people! I would recommend you get 10 strong people if you attempt this without machinery as it took us the entire day from 10am to 10:15pm to get this done by hand.. The root ball was 980mm by 1000mm with a depth of about 600-700mm as well, with all the soil from the compact root ball still stuck to it so you can imagine how heavy that thing was.. Impossible to lift, you'll need to lever it and get it onto a tail lift to then get it onto a trolley if you need to move it.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 05:25:15 PM »
We moved a lychee tree that had been in the ground for 14-15 years.  As some comments have alluded to, it's a massive job with lots of heavy lifting and digging.  We did it all by hands.  The tree had to be moved to clear the way for a home renovation project.  At first, I tried to spare some branches.  But in the end, I had to  trim all of them, sparing only the main tree trunk, to lessen the weight and to make handling easier.  The tree amassed a hefty trunk and root ball, even after pruning.  I tried to rig up some contraption to get it out of a 4 foot hole.  In the end, it was human ingenuity and sheer sweat power.  We simply backfilled part of the hole until the tree rose out of the deep hole.  The job took place in January when the weather in California is cooler.  There was not much rain that year.  I put the tree into a new hole and hoped for the best.  About 1 month later, new shoots started coming out.  In the end, the tree survived and prospered in its new location for the last 2.5 years.  This year, it is blooming up a storm.

I also agree that you first want to decide if the tree bares tasty fruits before tackling the move.  It's definitely doable.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 04:06:20 PM »

My neighbor spent $2k to move a 20 year old sapodilla. It was a great tasting prolific tree. They moved it in one piece.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 11:11:38 AM »
Ive done this with a longan that was about 20 years old and 18' tall. You got good advice with the pre root pruning and leaving it for a few weeks before moving the rootball and tree. Dont let the root ball dry out. My tree is about a year into transplanting and seems to be recovering very well.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 01:03:16 AM »
Give it a try to move it.  Worst case scenario it doesn't live.  That is the same outcome as if you cut it down.  Seems worth a try though.  I think someone else said it but I would prune heavily after transplant to minimize transpiration and water needs during the couple years it will likely take to settle back in.  These things grow slowly so it would be nice to have it live on in your yard!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 04:56:30 AM »
Isnt it possible for the op to just do several large air layers, prior to the move and root prune? I dont know how much tome do lychee air layers take to root, but if they have the time to wait, they may end up with several good air layers, after which the attempt at excavating the whole tree could tak3 place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk