Author Topic: Meyer lemon  (Read 1510 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
Meyer lemon
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:38:22 PM »
Can meyer lemon survive nights of -5 to -7c if it is planted infront of a south facing wall and a huge black container

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer lemon
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:36:17 PM »
It helps.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 10:23:04 PM »
Meyer lemon is thought to be a hybrid of lemon and orange. It will likely be no more hardy than a sweet orange.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc3737&ved=2ahUKEwi3hNqmvdz7AhVDmYQIHUcjCPQQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0Yswt1jKL3e4Z6OXVzxsvs

The Ichang Lemon was also brought to the US by Frank Meyer but is far more cold hardy with reports of being hardy 15 Fahrenheit (-9 celsius) or even colder. It would likely be far easier to grow in your location and might be worth investigating. I havenot tasted one, but it is reported to be very acceptable as a lemon substitute. Don't confuse it with the Ichang Papeda (one of its parents) which is virtually inedible but is reported to be the most cold hardy evergreen citrus.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc1215&ved=2ahUKEwj7kJucv9z7AhWtQzABHU2KDgIQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw247dns9yFm96FvQpwvDvHT

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 03:20:17 AM »
It helps.
I would say yes.
I planted 1 year old seedlings last summer in ground in front of my green house  and they survived -6C the last mild winter with not very much damage, this summer they have good grown further. So if they are a little bit older, I think -7 should be possible perhaps even without damage . Important is to brung them already in late spring in earth for good establishment until winter begins.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »
Meyer lemon is thought to be a hybrid of lemon and orange.
So it was once believed until they analyzed genetics.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 11:21:56 AM »
I was just looking for the parentage of Meyer. I can remember that there are new findings, but what is it again? I can only find Lemon x Orange.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 11:49:17 AM »
(C. maxima × C. reticulata) x C. medica.

So a pummelo/mandarin cross, something like a Dancy or a Ponkan, that was crossed with a citron.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
(C. maxima × C. reticulata) x C. medica.

So a pummelo/mandarin cross, something like a Dancy or a Ponkan, that was crossed with a citron.

Wouldn't C. Maxima x C. Reticulata be the same as an orange? I thought that oranges came about exactly as a result of this hybrid and that is why they are hardier than pommelo but less hardy than tangerines?

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
Wouldn't C. Maxima x C. Reticulata be the same as an orange?
Something like a hybrid of bigaradia and citron. The sweet orange is a more complex hybrid with the same parents as bigaradia, but has undergone several crosses. It is stated that he was definitely not the parent of the Meyer lemon.

https://academic.oup.com/aob/article/117/4/565/2195970?login=false
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:19:16 PM by BorisR »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »
Wouldn't C. Maxima x C. Reticulata be the same as an orange?
Something like a hybrid of bigaradia and citron. The sweet orange is a more complex hybrid with the same parents as bigaradia, but has undergone several crosses. It is stated that he was definitely not the parent of the Meyer lemon.

https://academic.oup.com/aob/article/117/4/565/2195970?login=false

That is a very interesting chart! What is a bigaridia? Is that another name for a sour orange?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 08:58:43 PM »
So where does my New Zealand Lemonade fit in.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 04:38:59 PM »
Riverside calls it a limettioides, which suggests it's like a Palestian sweet lime. However, the description of a lemon crossed with a mandarin isn't really on this plot, but you could probably imagine it as a sweet bergamot.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
Grapefruit and pummelo is a lot more cold hardy than an orange, which is slightly more than a lemon. Meyer lemon is almost as cold hardy as a grapefruit similar to a tangelo. It is one of the more cold hardy selections that is good to eat. Meyer lemons are much sweeter and better tasting than normal lemons. One of the best citrus in my opinion. Yes it could handle those temps but I would try to cover it to minimize damage.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 06:46:23 AM »
What is a bigaridia? Is that another name for a sour orange?
Yes. I thought this word is used in English, since there is a term "citradia", derived from "bigaradia"

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 09:19:02 AM »
What is a bigaridia? Is that another name for a sour orange?
Yes. I thought this word is used in English, since there is a term "citradia", derived from "bigaradia"

Ah! I see. Its quite possible that it is used in English but that I am not fmiliar with it. I think I've got it clear in my mind now, Myer Lemon is likely a hybrid between a citron and some variety of sour orange (not sweet orange and lemon as had been thought for many years). Thank you, I always enjoy learning something new!

Also, I found an old chart in a book I have. It shows that Meyer Lemon is between mandarin and kumquat in hardiness. So, it is indeed one of the hardiest citrus. I stand corrected. Sounds like the OP might have success with it in his zone after all.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »

That is a very interesting chart! What is a bigaridia? Is that another name for a sour orange?

Citrus taxonomy and genetics are confusing and frequently get reshuffled (poncirus moves in and out of citrus roughly every 50 years, and the oceanian citrus and fortunella get this treatment, too). The Seville orange was once thought to be its own species (citrus bigaradia). It has since been moved into citrus x aurantium -- the sour (or bitter*) orange.

Bigarade is a French name, but it finds its way into English occasionally. Amusingly, in Hindi it means "spoiled."

* -- poncirus is also known as the bitter orange. One reason I prefer using sour/hardy as the phrasing instead.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 09:28:25 AM »

Ah! I see. Its quite possible that it is used in English but that I am not fmiliar with it. I think I've got it clear in my mind now, Myer Lemon is likely a hybrid between a citron and some variety of sour orange (not sweet orange and lemon as had been thought for many years). Thank you, I always enjoy learning something new!

Also, I found an old chart in a book I have. It shows that Meyer Lemon is between mandarin and kumquat in hardiness. So, it is indeed one of the hardiest citrus. I stand corrected. Sounds like the OP might have success with it in his zone after all.

That would make some sense. The zest of a Meyer does remind me strongly of the zest of a citron.

Citrons have some interesting genetics. Medica has a ton of diversity.