Author Topic: Diospyros texana dioecious. Maybe not.  (Read 778 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Diospyros texana dioecious. Maybe not.
« on: May 27, 2022, 07:42:09 PM »
I have four texas persimmons planted in my persimmon patch. I assume the two that flowered are females. This is the first year they have flowered. One of them is holding two fruits. The only other persimmons around are my two Nikita's gifts and my two Rossyeankas. Any guess on how this happened?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Diospyros texana dioecious. Maybe not.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 11:27:27 PM »
Maybe one of the two that flowered was a male. Or, maybe one of them has either a small number of perfect flowers or male flowers. There was another thread recently talking about a dioecious fruiting species (Garcinia livingstonei, Imbe) that will sometimes not act strictly dioecious in its flowering and fruiting.

I just hope my two Texas persimmons are not the same sex.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:57:43 AM »
Texas persimmons are either make or female. The male flowers look like a bell. They hang. The female flowers are up turned. How old are they? D

kernol

• Austria 6b/7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
My Texas persimmon has flowered two times so far. I only have one plant and the flowers all looked the same each year and it did not set fruit - as expected. I‘m not sure what is the reason for yours to hold fruit but usually Texas persimmons should be dioecious.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 03:21:46 PM »
Texas persimmons are either make or female. The male flowers look like a bell. They hang. The female flowers are up turned. How old are they? D
They are about 4 years old. They have grown really slowly. The one with the two fruit is a bout 3 feet tall.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:59:53 PM by CarolinaZone »

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 06:16:42 AM »
They do grow very slowly, but they are really tough. The largest one I have after 8 or so years from seed is about 7 feet tall. Just watch the flowers. Upturned is female. Hanging is male. D

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:43 PM »
Got it!