Author Topic: Ataulfo Mango  (Read 7431 times)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Ataulfo Mango
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
Has anyone every tried it? saw it at Sams club just wondering, I checked the mango list and observed it is a poly seed, which I might get some to grow multiple plants, but what is the quality of them and is there any fiber? it doesn't list in the mango list.

Also has anyone heard of a Johnson mango tree? it supposed to be a cross with a haden. My brother in'law uncle has one and they love it and enjoy the flavor.  I just cant seem to find any info on it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:05:14 PM by y0rascal »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Atufalo Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
I bought afew at publix & did not dig it.
Zone 10

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Atufalo Mango
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »
I bought afew at publix & did not dig it.

Ed , ripened on the tree , my wife's favored ....OK here in Mexico we don't have all the varieties you have in the states...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Ataulfo Mango
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
easy tree to grow,very good fruit. Alternate bearer here is Socal fruits in early Aug. here is my 3 year old tree under 10' it is holding 15 fruits.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
Nice Tree & fruits Joe. 8) Grafted or S.?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:33:41 PM »
...just bought some at Costco today.  They are good, not great in my opinion.  Sometimes above average
other times lacking.  I buy them often from Costco in season.....

Gary

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
I like Ataulfo a LOT!! One of the best store bought mango I've had  ;D

Joe, that's a really nice looking mango tree!! Enjoy your fruits...

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
...just bought some at Costco today.  They are good, not great in my opinion.  Sometimes above average
other times lacking.  I buy them often from Costco in season.....

Gary

In my experience, Costco(including other big chain store, ethnic market is the way to go) doesn't carried them when they are best flavored. I like the ones I can get at the swap meet or the ethnic store when they are soft, a little wrinkled(my opinion) and over ripe. Super sweet and flavorful. Even better if you live in the Southern Cali area, they get shipped there the most ripe since it's closer to the Mexican border. But if you can't find any wrinkled one, just let it sit for a while. But I think I saw someone post on GW saying that the ones from Guatemala is kinda sour compare to the Mexican ones.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Maybe the ones i bought at Publix where not at prime for eating , could also be that they where in the cooler way to long at publix.
I will try them again, but from another location.

Ed..
Zone 10

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

Has anyone every tried it? saw it at Sams club just wondering, I checked the mango list and observed it is a poly seed, which I might get some to grow multiple plants, but what is the quality of them and is there any fiber? it doesn't list in the mango list.

Also has anyone heard of a Johnson mango tree? it supposed to be a cross with a haden. My brother in'law uncle has one and they love it and enjoy the flavor.  I just cant seem to find any info on it.

If your located in South Florida now during mango season, skip the Mexican imports at Costco and Publix and get yourself a locally grown mango of which South Florida produces some of the very best. Its kind of like being in Washington State and then buying imported cheap substandard apples. We have several growers on this forum who can provide the best varieties. I never heard of Johnson mango but I'll bet its a lot better then a Costco mango. 

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
Maybe the ones i bought at Publix where not at prime for eating , could also be that they where in the cooler way to long at publix.
I will try them again, but from another location.

Ed..

Yup, give them another go, like I said try the ethnic stores or just let them get wrinkled skin and soft. Forgot to mention, that I've tried both the Mexican grown and Guatemalan grown ones and the latter is bit more tart/sour.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
I will do !
Zone 10

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Nice Tree & fruits Joe. 8) Grafted or S.?

Thanks Scott and Nancy....it's a seedling.

MP tropical

• Belem, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
Ataulfo,marketed as Champagne mango. Undeveloped Ataulfo ( market as Popcorn mango), these are sold in China in Box like boxes with about 15 little mangoes per box. They have no seed inside the husk. Bought them with their brand name tag on them at a supermarket in Guadalajara, Mexico a couple of years ago. I think the Popcorn mango targets children.
Comparing IndoChinese mangoes:  I have tried some  Thai mangoes while in Thailand last month: NDM(regular, tong, supersized), Mahachanok, Okrung, Raet, Chokanan etc... . IMO Ataulfo is just as good.

MP tropical

• Belem, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Ataulfo  Popcorn mango picture.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
Ataulfo  Popcorn mango picture.

Wow, never knew they had a small seedless one for sale too. Guess they are like the cuties Clementine market for kids over here in the states.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk