Author Topic: Mangaba-Hancornia speciosa  (Read 9883 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mangaba-Hancornia speciosa
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Hi Steven,

Do you or anyone grow this plant? I've been trying to get Mangaba seeds for a while.

Thanks,
Jaime

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
Hi Steven,

Do you or anyone grow this plant? I've been trying to get Mangaba seeds for a while.

Thanks,
Jaime

Hi Jaime,
No, sorry. Mangaba is quite dificult to germinate :o In Brazil it is common to plant 3 seeds in a pot and the substrate must be pure river sand for the plants to survive the first couple of months. If you use normal potting soil the plant will not survive, since they are native to the Northeastern Brazil were the soil are very sandy and well drainable. If you one day consider visting Brazil and of course to taste the fruit...the season for mangaba is from November to June...Sergipe, Bahia, Pernambuco...etc.

Mangaba and Pineapple was preferred by The Dutch invaders ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:55:51 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
Hi Steven,

Thanks,
Jaime

Hi Jaime,
Here the vid about Mangaba and how to propagate this specie ;)

Dia de Campo na TV - Cultivo da mangabeira

Dia de Campo na TV - Cultivo da mangabeira - parte 2

Enjoy :)

Time is like a river.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
Very nice videos. Thank you very much.

Looks like they grow strictly in a sandy medium. Now I'd I could only get my hands on some seeds.

Thanks again
Jaime

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »
Steven, great information I enjoyed it very much.Even the vid had a catchy tune.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Hi Jaime and Mike,
Glad you guy's enjoyed the vid :)

There are two types of Mangaba, One is found in the semi-arid Cerrado region and the one in the vid is a variety found along the coast. I reckon the coastal var. will take the humidity much better that the var. in the semi-arid region ;)
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »
Hi Jaime, i brought back seeds of mangaba from Brazil. They sprouted but died after a while. I think they didn't like our high rainfall and humidity. Yes sandy medium is a must. I tasted mangaba and they were very nice, reminded me of a pear. This is a shot i took at Belem famous open air fruit market, Mercado de Peso. Yellow fruit on left are the mangabas:
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
Sounds like the kind of fruit market I need to visit in Brazil, manga and mangosteen right next to each other!!!

Thanks for sharing, Oscar.

Jaime

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Jaime,
On the left are mangabas (hancornia speciosa); on top, the redish ones, are cajus (anacardium occidentale); on the right are mangostao (garcinia mangostana).

I would recommend that you visit a market in Belem, called "Mercado-Ver-O-Peso". Belem is located in the "mouth" of the Amazon river.  Belem is an interesting place to visit.  In Belem, there is an ice cream store that you can taste 100 ice cream flavors. The ice creams are made using fresh fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
Jaime,
On the left are mangabas (hancornia speciosa); on top, the redish ones, are cajus (anacardium occidentale); on the right are mangostao (garcinia mangostana).

I would recommend that you visit a market in Belem, called "Mercado-Ver-O-Peso". Belem is located in the "mouth" of the Amazon river.  Belem is an interesting place to visit.  In Belem, there is an ice cream store that you can taste 100 ice cream flavors. The ice creams are made using fresh fruit.

Berto, that photo as i said above was taken in the Belem market, Mercado vero Peso. I went to that ice cream store you mention and it was fabulous. But now they have that chain of ice cream stores all over Brazil. The one in Rio was almost as good as the one in Belem. BTW, for you Floridians: there are direct non stop flights from Miami to Belem. A fabulous way to visit the best of Brazil!
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
Berto, that photo as i said above was taken in the Belem market, Mercado vero Peso. I went to that ice cream store you mention and it was fabulous. But now they have that chain of ice cream stores all over Brazil. The one in Rio was almost as good as the one in Belem. BTW, for you Floridians: there are direct non stop flights from Miami to Belem. A fabulous way to visit the best of Brazil!
Hey Oscar, you intrigued me with your last statement about direct non-stop flights from Miami to Belem. I was looking for those a few months ago and did not see any direct flights. Do you know what airline offers it?

Jaime

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
I would recommend a flight Miami to Manaus which is the "capital" of the Amazon region, stay a few days in Manaus, and then go to Belem do Para.  Take a look at TAM airlines.  I believe they fly Miami to Manaus connecting to Belem.  Better yet, you may want to buy an airpass....you can stop in as many city as you want   http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/vgn/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ef41105ac2e7b110VgnVCM1000005f05a8c0RCRD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:20:37 AM by Berto »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »
Hey Oscar, you intrigued me with your last statement about direct non-stop flights from Miami to Belem. I was looking for those a few months ago and did not see any direct flights. Do you know what airline offers it?

Jaime

I think it was TAM airlines. Berto is right and now the flight is not direct, one stop in Manaus, but you can stay on plane and fly on to Belem. Berto is also right about being able to buy a pass with TAM. I did that myself and i can recommend that airline and that pass is great. Bought a 5 pass ticket for what 2 flights would normally cost. The one catch is you have to buy the pass from outside of Brazil. I would think you could do a tour of Brazil next time you plan to go to Chile, or on your return from Chile. From Rio it would be very easy to connect to Santiago.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
You can also buy a TAM Airlines, Mercosul pass, and visit Brasil, Argentina, Uruguai, and Paraguai.  However, mangaba only in Brasil.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
You can also buy a TAM Airlines, Mercosul pass, and visit Brasil, Argentina, Uruguai, and Paraguai.  However, mangaba only in Brasil.

That's an excellent idea also. I think i didn't go for that one as i think TAM pass for SA limits you to maximum total stay one month.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »
How safe is it to visit this market , Carlos told me it is not a good idea to wander around that market alone specially as a gringo...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »
How safe?   
Buy my airline ticket, plus a daily stipend and you will be extra safe..ahahahahahahahahahaa
I will hire a couple body guards for your security apparatus.

I did not have any problems in Belem, great place to visit.
No flashy jewlery, no flashy clothing, and a few bucks in the pocket. 
Luc,
Tell the Brasilians that your are from Mexico.  Brasilians and Mexicans get along quite well because of futebol (soccer). 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
How safe is it to visit this market , Carlos told me it is not a good idea to wander around that market alone specially as a gringo...

Luc, i would say Belem market is probably a lot safer than most markets in your very own Mejico! The market in Manaus is a little bit riskier, just because there is a lot more poverty there. But i didn't feel much danger in either place. Belem is a much better market, and actually old market in Manaus was closed for renovation when i visited. Things have changed a lot in Brazil from the days that Whitman visited. There is a lot more security, police, etc.  Unfortunately the Whitman books scares people away. I think Berto's advice is good, except that you should buy me the ticket instead of him. HAHAHA I will be your bodyguard.
Oscar