Author Topic: Peru  (Read 3045 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Peru
« on: May 28, 2021, 10:54:28 PM »
Are there any members on here that live in Peru?

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Peru
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
I’d like to know too. I’d like more information on this fruit from Peru

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »
I’d like to know too. I’d like more information on this fruit from Peru

I realize I'm very late responding to this, but that's what we call Palillo here. It's one of the more successful species that we planted on our land. My wife, who's from here, says they're really good fruits. I have yet to try some, but if things continue to grow well here, then we'll have our own supply.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »
I wish in lived in Peru.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
I wish in lived in Peru.
What do you find so special or intriguing about Peru?  Half the population of Peru probably wishes they lived in the USA!
John

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 05:37:15 PM »
I wish in lived in Peru.

...until you need quality goods and services

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »
I wish in lived in Peru.

I admire the project you guys are undertaking- I think people often overestimate the level of infrastructure many of these places have, and how that affects the lifestyle- Peru is a beautiful place to visit

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 07:32:39 AM »
Do you have a list of the different fruits you are growing agroventure?

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
I wish in lived in Peru.
What do you find so special or intriguing about Peru?  Half the population of Peru probably wishes they lived in the USA!

That's because of Hollywood and some just don't realize paradise around them.

Have lived in Peru but would never live in USA except for Hawaii or other island territories.
Peru is where many of our staple foods where born, sincerly a place of grace.

Terrafrutis and fruitheaven communities in Ecuador is close by and would know many who are living in Peru.
Don't know if their on the forum.
These forums don't really score high on the google search so usually people never find it.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 09:39:06 PM »
I wish in lived in Peru.

I admire the project you guys are undertaking- I think people often overestimate the level of infrastructure many of these places have, and how that affects the lifestyle- Peru is a beautiful place to visit

Thanks. Your comment is also dead on. Even though I was already pretty familiar with society here, I was still caught off guard in many ways when doing this project. When you hire someone here for anything, it is really a roll of the dice. We got thoroughly ripped off by a few people when building our house. In hindsight, I wished a general contractor friend of mine from the USA had been here supervising everything, and negotiating the entire time. I had no construction experience, so sometimes it was hard to know if people were doing things right or not. Considering all that, I would say the house turned out better than we expected. It's just that sometimes you pay for something, and only a couple months after you've paid the person, you realize they didn't do something right, and then it's too late to get your money back. My wife and I learned to never pay someone upfront...ever! And now we're considering how we can withold the second half of someone's payment until 30 days after they complete the job.

We invested a lot of money in our solar equipment here, and quite frankly I just didn't trust anyone from here to do the installation right. I had zero solar experience, but just sat at my computer for months on end researching the topic. I bought my own tools from Amazon and paid double to have them all shipped here. I did the entire installation myself, with the exception of the rooftop work. For that, I stood on a ladder and directed someone else what to do on the roof. It's one of the only aspects of the house that hasn't had even a minor problem.

The most recent problem is that we hired some young "well installers" who came out and didn't really deliver what was promised. They said they were going to make sure we ended up with a clean source of water (or at least clean enough to run through our plumbing and berkey filter for drinking) to supply our house. We don't have proper access out here, so everything either needs to be brought in on your shoulders, horseback, or dragged behind two bulls. Therefore, these guys informed us ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to bring their rig. They said it would still work with a manual drill. So, I only asked one thing, "What happens if you try and don't find water?" The answer was that they would keep trying different places until they found a proper water-source for a well. They wouldn't stop until we acheived the goal. They tried three spots over the course of three days, hit rock in each spot, and therefore couldn't keep going. The third spot had a decent amount of water, but they said the quality was bad with too much sediment.

They wanted to test the quantity of water in that spot, so I said OK, but they wanted to use our Italian-made submersible pump for the test. I said, "I'm not going to loan you my own brand new equipment for you to stick in a spot where you told me the water was too dirty. I'm not going to put my brand new pump at risk. You guys are the pros, you should have your own pump to test these things. Go ahead and test it, and if it's good, then we'll install the pump there along with the plumbing towards the house." They didn't have their own submersible pump, so they decided to abandon that idea. They were giving up. At that point the owner reassured me that they were going to dig a big hole adjacent to the creek, they called it a "keison" well (not sure of the spelling). It was just a big, wide hole that they had us fill gravel that was extremely expensive because for the amount of bulk material hauled to that far end of our property we had to pay for 3 horses for about a week (each carrying two sacks of gravel per trip). Then we bought all the pvc, vulcanized electric cable etc. They tested the whole installation, and the water seemed to be coming out OK.

Then we had a big rain, and the creek level rose to above the level of the whole. The water then came out silty. The owner reassured us that he guarantees his jobs for six months, and all it would need is a "cleaning." Well we're still in the rainy season, so we've never needed to use the pump for our house, because we've been getting enough rain to keep our 1500L tank topped off. They did come out once already, because their plumbing connection had a leak down near the pump. I remember giving them some pointers for how to connect the plumbing, and they quipped back, "yeah, yeah, we studied this stuff in school for our degree." Well sure enough, they had to come out and fix one of their connections that was leaking.

We don't want to have the installation silt up again with another big rain during the rainy season, so we've purposefully been waiting until near the six month mark to have them come do their "cleaning." But in these six months it has dawned on me that they will never be able to provide us with a lasting solution. They simply will not be able to deliver on their original promise. Last time we tested the pump a week ago it only spurted out about 50L of brownish water. Sticking a hose and a pump directly in the creek would've given us much cleaner water then their stupid mud pit hole that we now have. Now when we run the pump, it causes the differencials next to our circuit breakers to trip, thus cutting off the electricity to our house as a protective measure, which means they likely also did a crappy job with the electrical connections on the submersible pump.

We're coordinating for the guy to come out, but based on all my other experiences with the people here, he will not own up to the fact that he's done us wrong, and he will surely refuse to give back any of our money.

Anyway, this is just one example of MANY that we've encountered when dealing with so-called "professionals" in this part of the world. At this point I probably have enough material for a book.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:10 AM »
Yikes

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 09:43:52 AM »
Yikes
We don't know how good we have it in this country!  Not that there aren't incompetent, unreliable companies, but still...  We just finished totally renovating our 1970's house with an owner-builder permit utilizing various trades people, and although they can be a pain in the ass, thank God for the inspectors from the city's building division for making sure everything was done to code and advising us along the way as well.  Now I can plant my fruit trees!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:56:14 AM by johnb51 »
John

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 10:29:47 AM »
That is, from some other stories I have heard, par for the course, I am sorry you guys are having so much trouble.

It really is an admirable mission and goal, and once you get through some admittedly major Hiccups I hope you guys will be set from life, I have been to Peru a couple of times and have thought about trying to pull off what you are but quickly been talked out of it by people who live there-

The remoteness of your location certainly doesnt make things easy, but I am sure other complications would arise if your property was right by Lima

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 08:37:40 PM »
Do you have a list of the different fruits you are growing agroventure?
Yes, this was the final tally of what went into the ground almost two years ago. Hard to say exactly what or how much of it is still alive.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 08:39:57 PM »
Yikes
We don't know how good we have it in this country!  Not that there aren't incompetent, unreliable companies, but still...  We just finished totally renovating our 1970's house with an owner-builder permit utilizing various trades people, and although they can be a pain in the ass, thank God for the inspectors from the city's building division for making sure everything was done to code and advising us along the way as well.  Now I can plant my fruit trees!

The whole thing about building codes really is a double-edge sword. In places like latin america their absence might work against the homeowner. Then again, in some places in the USA they are excessive.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 08:52:48 PM »
That is, from some other stories I have heard, par for the course, I am sorry you guys are having so much trouble.

It really is an admirable mission and goal, and once you get through some admittedly major Hiccups I hope you guys will be set from life, I have been to Peru a couple of times and have thought about trying to pull off what you are but quickly been talked out of it by people who live there-

The remoteness of your location certainly doesnt make things easy, but I am sure other complications would arise if your property was right by Lima
Gringos that live here or Peruvians talked you out of it?

I do have plenty of bad stories about the house, but the truth is that the house itself turned out better than I expected. It is actually quite nice. That said, I am a plant guy, and would've preferred to just focus on my food forest and not get involved in building anyting, at least not so soon. I was always planning to just come down here for a year at a time, and then head back to the US and truck for a year or two. When the virus situation happened we were worried we'd be cut off from this place, so we came down much sooner than we expected. Now I've been here so long that I figure I might as well just stick it out until I naturalize.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 09:12:25 PM »
I would like to hear more about the planting as this project develops.  The guys from Terra Frutas in Ecuador got grafted durians among other things on their way down.

Latin America can be very easy and inexpensive to accomplish things if you understand the culture, be patient, and make sure the workers have good references like anywhere else.
I worked in construction in the US before I moved to Costa Rica and there are lots of jobs that need to be re done, contracts that end up with lawsuits and the cost is out of control.
I feel fortunate to be assimilated into Latin America.
Peter

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
This is from Peruvian expats in the states of which there seems to be a surprising number in Houston

Certainly there are benefits, but they do not materialize immediately- even on my short visits to Peru I have been taken for a gringo many times and have the locals I have traveled with do most of the dealings. Travelers are taken advantage of every day in this country too so I am not knocking any particular place.

If you assimilate into the culture and country I am sure you can work out a great deal, particularly if you can do remote or high paying part time work. I think people often assume you can just move down there and everything will be easy with the power of the american dollar, which is not the case.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 01:39:40 PM »
I agree with that.
In Costa Rica there are many expats and Costa Rican’s living wonderful lives here but also, many foreigners give up because it’s very different and they don adjust.
Some mistakenly think everything is so wonderful and they are too trusting and they’re easily taken advantage of.  I used to have to remind myself to imagine how a Tico would deal with a situation which was mostly different from how an American would respond. Now, after 35 years, I only respond like a tico.
Others are determined to try and make this like the place they left.  This always results in lots of resentment.
Interesting about sources of income in these countries.  Of course there are plenty of expats that work online as well as Ticos working call center jobs from their homes.  What I am doing is more difficult but by having a small commercial farm that hires locals it is easy for country people to understand me and what I am doing.  This goes a long way in building trust within a community.
I understand that there are differences between Peru and CR but I travel in Latin America and there are many similarities.
Peter

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 02:54:34 PM »
I would like to hear more about the planting as this project develops.  The guys from Terra Frutas in Ecuador got grafted durians among other things on their way down.

Latin America can be very easy and inexpensive to accomplish things if you understand the culture, be patient, and make sure the workers have good references like anywhere else.
I worked in construction in the US before I moved to Costa Rica and there are lots of jobs that need to be re done, contracts that end up with lawsuits and the cost is out of control.
I feel fortunate to be assimilated into Latin America.
Peter

Yes easy and inexpensive, but the quality control is definitely lacking. That's probably not as big an issue in gringo-ized areas like Costa Rica where north americans have imposed their high standards for many decades now. Go to some area where you're the only gringo, and it's a totally different story.

If you were a contractor with multiple years of experience in the USA, you could come down here, start your own business and blow the competition out of the water.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
Where I am now has gringos but the only inspections that are done are to measure the building to make sure you have paid all the tax. There is no plumbing or electrical sign off or anything. You’re on your own. You go by the reputation of the builder and maybe get a structural engineer to inspect and sign a log book. He would then be responsible.
Actually, if anything, the presence of gringo clients has created an atmosphere where more shady contractors are working.  And expensive ones at that. The most reliable builders have more work than they know what to do with but hate to turn jobs down.
Anyway, it’s still a great place to grow plants and there are more clients for fruit and trees all the time although what we have here now hardly resembles the place I moved to in the 80’s when there weren’t all these foreigners.
See if something like this happens where you are in Peru. It’s a double edged sword
Saludos

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 02:44:59 PM »
"If you were a contractor with multiple years of experience in the USA, you could come down here, start your own business and blow the competition out of the water."
I have first hand experience with that and my experience is that it's very hard to find skilled people who turns up consistently or are properly educated (meeting my expectations), so every expectation have to be adjusted a lot compared to EU or AU.
Even in the big city of Lima it was hard to find skilled people (or to say people with skills I was used to employing) and people who doesn't require to much assistance and guidance. And most of the time it's a struggle to get people to pay, even with reputable companies and that after all have been inspected and cleared, not like EU or AU. So it's good to have some form of cash flow to deal with that to often occuring delay, renovated offices for rent for example.

I love Peru, it's amazing and the people are good even have family there, don't get me wrong.

I think there's even "land giveaways" around the Piura area (probobly with lot's of legal conditions etc, just heard from a family member), could possible grow pithya there. And could possibly desalinate the ocean water and irrigate with it, maybe possible.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »
So, in Peru you see very nice houses of upper middle class and wealthy Peruvians.
How do they do it?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »
I bought a Kent mango yesterday in usa from Peru.

Edit- I edited this post because it was picked too early.  Wasn't good enough.
I'll try another next time I shop.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:15:14 PM by EddieF »

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 07:18:59 PM »
Where I am now has gringos but the only inspections that are done are to measure the building to make sure you have paid all the tax. There is no plumbing or electrical sign off or anything. You’re on your own. You go by the reputation of the builder and maybe get a structural engineer to inspect and sign a log book. He would then be responsible.
Actually, if anything, the presence of gringo clients has created an atmosphere where more shady contractors are working.  And expensive ones at that. The most reliable builders have more work than they know what to do with but hate to turn jobs down.
Anyway, it’s still a great place to grow plants and there are more clients for fruit and trees all the time although what we have here now hardly resembles the place I moved to in the 80’s when there weren’t all these foreigners.
See if something like this happens where you are in Peru. It’s a double edged sword
Saludos

I can understand what you're saying about the shady contractors and having them charge more. That makes sense to me.
Why do you think Costa Rica is such a draw for Americans and Europeans? I don't see that phenomenon here, and CR has always been that way...probably more so than any other latin american country with the exception of Mexico. The people that come here just want to see cusco, the ruins, and maybe do a quick trip to the amazon. As far as I can tell there aren't a lot of expats demanding to live here.

I can't really see the place I'm in as turning into some gringo-paradise anytime soon. I would guess the main advantage CR has over Peru and most other South American countries is that it has a territorial tax system, so your foreign-sourced income is not taxed. Not sure what the other advantages would be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk