Author Topic: Wanting another mandarin  (Read 1925 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wanting another mandarin
« on: February 19, 2022, 04:54:35 PM »
Considering the slightly new varieties.  I am trying to read up on them, but, I find some inconsistencies in what I read.  Looking between gold nugget, Shasta gold, Yosemite gold and Tahoe. 
1st consideration is that I don't want alternate bearing.
Second is, I don't want too much tart.
And 3 would be if anyone knows which would grow best in desert.  Thanks!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting another mandarin
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
Gold Nugget is a good one, seedless, heavy fruit production, yearly, not alternate bearing for me. The other good one would be the Yosemite Gold. Both are not tart, very sweet. I have the Yosemite Gold but have not tasted it yet. The person who has a large tree says its the best of the TDE series here in SoCal.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 12:16:52 AM »
Does it alternate bear, Yosemite gold?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 12:28:38 AM »
Don't know about Yosemite Gold, if its alternate bearer.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »
sc4001992,

When do you usually finish picking up gold nugget.  My reading is, the alternative bearing is related many things.  One of the key factor is how long that you let the fruits hanging on the tree.

The issue is: if you let the fruits hanging on the tree longer, they will taste better (up to June).   But that will minimizes the spring blooming so get into alternative bearing.   If you finish picking in Feb, it can probably be avoided but the fruits will taste about average.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 03:19:24 PM »
I never let my Gold Nugget or Sumo hang longer than March, otherwise the fruits are over ripe.
So, I don't seem to have the problem of alternate bearing on my Gold Nugget, Sumo, Ponkan, and the rest of the mandarins I grow (Tango, Honey murcott, FL murcott, wekiwa, etc). My Valencia orange may be the only citrus that ripens later in March, April.

I don't have any mandarin that needs to hang until June to be ripe.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
Several thing to do to avoid or help alternate bearing in citrus.   1) thin the number of fruit on the ON year.  2. apply a urea foliar spay 40 days before the expected bloom of the off year.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 02:13:12 PM »
sc4001992,

It will be interesting if you can hold a few of Gold Nugget or Sumo hang long upto June.  And check them bi-weekly to see how far they can be held on tree as well as sweetness and softness/baggy.  I guess both varienties will get soft but never baggy.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 12:07:03 PM »
2nd year of fruit for the Tahoe gold. I like it so far but does have the balance of sweet and tart, so if you don't like the tartness, it may not be for you. I get a fair amount of 90+ days in my microclimate. During those dry heat days, the leafs curl, so not sure if it can handle consistent dry heat.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 02:28:11 PM »
For the past five years, my Yosemite Gold mandarin tree has been producing consistently (no alternate bearing) even after part of the tree was recently trimmed by my next-door neighbor. (see attached photo)

Another interesting mandarin to try would be the Lee X Nova. I have a smaller one in a container but since I am out of space will likely graft scions onto my other existing citrus trees.

Johnny

Yosemite Gold Mandarin Tree (2-15-22)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »
Interesting how most of the fruit is at the top of the tree.  Is that because you already picked the lower fruit?

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 06:08:17 PM »
Yea, we picked some of the fruit from the lower part of the tree already. Also, my neighbor trimmed many of the lower branches on the right side of the tree thus eliminating some fruit but new growth is already starting to form.  The Yosemite Gold does tend to grow rapidly relative to other citrus trees I have.

The tree consistently produces 250-300 every year and it is not even full-grown yet. For 2022 it might be a little less because of the branch trimming but still, more than we can eat.

Rootstock is C-35. Tree age is about 9 years.

Johnny
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:02:20 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 07:02:52 PM »
Yea, we picked some of the fruit from the lower part of the tree already. Also, my neighbor trimmed many of the lower branches on the right side of the tree thus eliminating some fruit but new growth is already starting to form.  The Yosemite Gold does tend to grow rapidly relative to other citrus trees I have.

The tree consistently produces 250-300 fruits every year and it is not even full-grown yet. For 2022 it might be a little less because of the branch trimming but still, more than we can eat.

Rootstock is C-35. Tree age is about 10 years.

Johnny

Did not mean to reply twice just modify. Must have hit the wrong button.

Forgot to say I have to trim the YG Mandarin tree every year or it would be even bigger than it is now. I have clay soil but this thing still grows too fast at my location.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:26:29 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 12:44:49 AM »
I know I'm late on this thread but have you considered a Bumper? I have one and I think it tastes pretty good and it really produces.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 01:30:09 AM »
Never heard of it