Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 78158 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #325 on: June 15, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »
I'm a nature lover, but STOMP EM!

No, haven't tried grasshoppers or crickets yet, but would go with other varieties.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 15, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »
Kid found this munching on fallen papaya, and hiding in firebush. "They're sooo cute." Cute demon. Nipples too, so must have babies around. 

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #327 on: June 15, 2022, 05:27:19 PM »
saw a pair of swallow-tailed kites flying around the other day, it's very unusual to see these graceful birds here this time of year; they're migratory for Florida and don't stay longer than Feb-March. They were hiding under the flower pods of a royal palm, scanning the grounds every now and again. So beautiful and special on the wing, you cannot mix them up with any other bird because of the swallowtail and white underbelly.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 15, 2022, 07:07:10 PM »

Cardinal nest in guava tree. I thought the baby birds died as they vanished from the nest so fast, but I read that they leave the nest only 9-11 days after hatching! Talk about a speedrun!

judyeakhand

« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2022, 12:51:58 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:15:44 PM by JakeFruit »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 24, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »
Anyone else get hummingbirds in their fruit trees?

My hummingbirds came back this year and made their nest in the loquat tree, pretty low to the front door walk way. It's about 6 ft off the ground. I looked inside the nest, it has a few eggs.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2023, 06:34:50 PM »
It's been raining for the last 3 days now and I'm worried the hummingbirds nest will be soaked from the hail and rain we get.

I decided to help them out and put a plastic cover over the nest area. I think the moma bird is much happier now. The eggs hatched and the two babies were getting all wet.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:48:57 PM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2023, 07:16:24 PM »
Hi Kaz,

I would keep an eye out and make sure you see the momma stay with the babies during this storm.  When it's really cold and rainy, hummingbirds go into a sleep like state called torpor to maintain body temperature. 

I had a similar situation happen during a winter storm where the momma went into torpor for a couple of days.  I ended up cutting the large branch that the nest was attached to and took the babies to a hummingbird rescue person in Huntington Beach so she could feed them and keep them warm.  After the storm was over and the momma woke up, I picked the babies up and tied the branch in the same spot.

I know some birds will abandon their young if they've been held by humans, but hummingbirds are okay with it. 

Also, the momma is expending a lot of energy looking for food in this cold.  I opened up my compost tumbler so she had plenty of fruit flies, which is a main source of protein they need in addition to nectar from flowers.  Hope your birds stay safe.

Janet

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2023, 07:35:05 PM »
Hummingbirds and those that care for them rock! Hope they weather the storm well. Best of luck

tropicalisimo

• USA,FLORIDA,10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2023, 09:02:01 AM »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2023, 02:52:42 PM »
Just amazing pic's of your Hummers Kaz, hope mom comes back! 8)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2023, 03:24:00 PM »
She has been sitting in the nest every day and night so it should be good.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2023, 12:46:08 AM »
Update on the 2 baby hummingbirds. They are both doing well, have some feathers starting to grow out now. Momma is still coming to feed them a few times a day.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2023, 12:47:25 AM »
I have another new update on my fruit tree. Anyone else see a squirrel's nest in your tree?
Today I was trimming down most of my passion fruit vine that has overgrown on my large pomelo tree. As I was cutting and pulling down the passion vine, I heard some squeak coming from the tree. By the time I tugged on the vine, I realized there was a squirrel's nest on the top of the tree inside the passion vine. A baby squirrel was hanging from the nest which was half open since it was made in the vine. After a few minutes I noticed the baby squirrel was hanging on and then fell towards the ground. I landed on the patio chair and just hang on. The momma squirrel was screaming at me and hopping around. Here's my question:

1. Anyone know what the typical size/number of baby squirrels in a nest?
2. Look at the sad photo of the baby squirrel and tell me if you think it will survive.
3. If I repair the nest and put the baby back in the nest do you think the momma will take care of it?

Here's a few photos I took after the baby crawled on the mesh chair screen and layed on top of it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:36:32 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2023, 01:42:03 AM »
I decided to repair the squirrel nest which was 15 ft off the ground at the top of my pomelo tree. I got my 10 ft ladder and repaired the nest, then caught the baby and put it back in the repaired nest. I was a little hesitant to stand on the top of the 10 ft ladder since I had my knee replacement last August, but I had to put the nest back where it was.

Hope it will survive and the momma squirrel comes back to take care of it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:44:44 AM by sc4001992 »