Author Topic: Shipping garcinia seeds  (Read 1868 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Shipping garcinia seeds
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
I'm just sending out a few achachairu seeds and was wondering how should I prep them? I've sent a few in the past with no real feedback. I know they mould easily, but that doesn't uapsually kill them. I've pulled the testa off a few which should slow the mould growth, but will decrease the seeds insulation. Any advice?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping garcinia seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
Rub all the flesh off with a paper towel then roll them up in a separate clean, moist paper towel and place them in a zip top bag.  Squeeze the air out of that bag and place them in another zip top and squeeze the air out of it. place that in a small box with crumpled news paper for padding.  Dont put more than 10-20 seeds per zip top bag or the moisture will become too much. 

Good luck.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:55:15 AM »
I'm just sending out a few achachairu seeds and was wondering how should I prep them? I've sent a few in the past with no real feedback. I know they mould easily, but that doesn't uapsually kill them. I've pulled the testa off a few which should slow the mould growth, but will decrease the seeds insulation. Any advice?
Hi

I got my Achacha seeds from Sherry (Vivero Anones). The seeds were sent with moist Sphagnum moss (just a few drops of water). It took almost two weeks to arrive and germination rate was very high.

You could also use H2O2 to kill all fungus on the surface of the seeds.

Mohd
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:59:10 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:45:01 AM »

Like most  large seeded Rheedias (old world garcinias) the seeds of achachairu keep quite well. You can ship them slightly dried on exterior and that way you can be sure they won't mold.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
Whatever you did last year worked well -- I got good germination from mine.

John

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I agree, a quick peroxide or even bleach dip followed by a rinse.  The funkys don't grow if they dead and can't get in.  Even if you don't get them all you can set them back in growth by days.