Author Topic: Cas guava (Costa Rican and Brazilian) tasting Weird Fruit Explorer  (Read 894 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
I bought a couple of Cas guava (Psidium friedrichsthalianum) plants from Wildlands Farm & Nursery last year based on a post by BSBullie saying it was his favorite guava.  Saw this video by Weird Fruit Explorer this morning reviewing the fruit and juice and wanted to share the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaBCxpxEuT8

In the video, there is also a different Cas guava from Brazil that he describes as having a creamy, soursop, tropical pineapple, banana flavor.  Marco on the film describes it as a Rollinia flavor very different from the Costa Rican Cas.  Does this look like Psidium Angulatam?  Leaves look wavy at 3:57 on the video.

Janet

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Cas guava (Costa Rican and Brazilian) tasting Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »
I just assumed it was a different variety. After all, Psidium guajava has an wide variation in fruit characteristics from plant to plant. No reason to think that friedrichsthalianum wouldn't also have some variation. The fact that Marco, who seems to really know his plants, says that it is just another variety leads me towards that conclusion. I like Jared's videos because of his globe trotting fruit searches and his super tasting ability, but that man doesn't know jack about plants.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 01:23:27 AM »
I just assumed it was a different variety. After all, Psidium guajava has an wide variation in fruit characteristics from plant to plant. No reason to think that friedrichsthalianum wouldn't also have some variation. The fact that Marco, who seems to really know his plants, says that it is just another variety leads me towards that conclusion. I like Jared's videos because of his globe trotting fruit searches and his super tasting ability, but that man doesn't know jack about plants.

I mostly watch his videos for the faces  :blank:

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 09:20:54 AM »
I agree, I don’t watch his videos for plant advice, but I do like all the taste reviews.  I like sour fruits and the description of the Brazilian cas sounds like something I’d like to try.  Guavas have been easy to grow and can be grown in a container.  I was questioning the variety because the leaves look wavy to me and the descriptions from Farwell fruit farm and pics from top tropicals made me think it could be a possible match.

Pic from video

Janet

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 04:44:42 AM »
I guess when people refer to Psidium angulatum they are actually meaning Psidium acutangulum, which should be the proper name to be used.
Called pear guava in Brazil (araçá pêra).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 04:59:24 AM by azorean »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
We grow them both. To me the flavor is about the same but the Brazilian cas, perhaps Psidium acutangulum, has a larger, softer fruit. The foliage is quite different.
Peter

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »
Thanks for the additional information.  I bought a couple plants and really love the ornamental leaves.

Looking forward to trying both the cas and acutangulatum with fresh sugar cane juice!

Janet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk