Author Topic: Update on my durians  (Read 1213 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Update on my durians
« on: January 29, 2023, 09:12:16 PM »
Received my latest...Indo Red or Durian Lai.  Deep yellow/tumeric colored flesh.  Lindsay says this is a hybrid of kutejensis.

I did multi-rootstock grafting on my first two durians.  Couldn't find any seedlings at the time and ended up using monthong trees.  This first tree did great.  All three seedling grafts healed up nicely.

Durian #2.  Unfortunately, two of the three grafts failed.  You can see the site in the middle of the pic.  A real bummer after seeing the slam dunk success on the first one.

Durian #2.  Luckily, the two seedlings were still viable after cutting down quite a ways.  I was able to regraft them lower down on the trunk and so far, it looks like they are both healing up well.

I'm enjoying the grafting.  Not only useful/beneficial for the tree, it keeps me busy over here!

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my durians
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 05:59:27 AM »
Nice. How did you get the Durian Lai? I don't think that is available in Australia.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 06:31:32 AM »
Tons of sellers on Lazada and Shopee offering this up.  Malaysia has much more diversity to offer, but it can be difficult to get things into Thailand.  The issue I have with them all is that they post pics of the red graveolens and describe the flesh as red also.  All of the pics are nearly the same for every ad.  Lindsay says that the majority are pics off of her site.  I got mine from a guy Lindsay knows well and has often visited.  She said she really enjoyed this durian.  According to her experience over here, deep oranges/yellows are often referred to as red.  However, there is a huge difference between that lipstick red of graveolens these folks advertise and what you see in the pics below from the guy's Facebook page.  This variety is supposed to be more tolerant of wet feet than normal durian.  We'll see...cause I'm not going to put in the amount of work I've had done, and done myself, preparing for large mounds for the first two trees. 

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 10:35:00 AM »
Are you growing these in Ohio? If so what's your setup like? Whatever good luck!

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:24:35 PM »
Left Ohio.  We're in Thailand now.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 06:30:15 PM »
Nice. How did you get the Durian Lai? I don't think that is available in Australia.

Lai is Durio Kutejensis. Also called Lukak. Depending on area.
And there are multiple mature trees between Tully and cooktown.
Lai durian should have persistent dehydrated filaments at the base of the stalk. None of the images show that so the images does not show a Durian Lai. It's more likely a Durio Zibethinus X Durio Kutjensis or a Durio Zibehinus variety. So Lindsy is probably correct.

Good to see your success with Kaki grafting.
Please let us know if growth vigor is better then single root stock comparison tree.
Peace
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 07:04:43 PM »
Certainly no expert but I thought that Durian Lai referred to Durio Zibethinus X Durio Kutjensis hybrids, though it sounds like Durio Kutjensis is also called Lai in some places. Common names can sometimes be confusing.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 08:45:24 PM »
Cassowary...I was looking for the true kutejensis.  I like the look of the fruit and flesh.  But just can't really trust any of the ads over here when they normally poach pictures of something entirely different than described.  Translation is an issue as well.  Some may say "grafted", most translate to "plugged in top", "mated", and others.  Thankfully Tong Chom over here has some good contacts he's hooked me up with.  Lindsay too.  Always feel a little better making purchases with those folks.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 12:11:15 AM »
Cassowary...I was looking for the true kutejensis.  I like the look of the fruit and flesh.  But just can't really trust any of the ads over here when they normally poach pictures of something entirely different than described.  Translation is an issue as well.  Some may say "grafted", most translate to "plugged in top", "mated", and others.  Thankfully Tong Chom over here has some good contacts he's hooked me up with.  Lindsay too.  Always feel a little better making purchases with those folks.

yeah and it takes years to get the experience to be able to distinguish the seedlings of different durian species, oxleyanus and graveolens is easy but kutjensis and dulcis is harder to distinguish from zibethinus and other sp. . lancifolius is easy becuase the leaf is very lanceolate.
It would be good with a infographic guide on how to distinguish different Durio sp. seedlings so that there will be less (EXPENSIVE) misstakes for future growers. You all know what I mean it's like a decade long comittment!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 11:49:53 AM »
Kutejensis leaves look different than zibethinus. They are bigger, similar to graveolens

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 02:10:40 PM »
Left Ohio.  We're in Thailand now.
Thailand????

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »
Daintree.  Yeah.  Moved to Thailand so that my wife could spend time with her family...seeing she's been in the states the last 25 years.  So I'm starting a new collection of trees here.  The passion, or insanity, continues.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 12:15:42 AM »
I bet you don't have to have a greenhouse there!
Happy fruit growing, and I'm glad your wife gets to be near her family!

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 02:29:55 AM »
Thanks!  No...no greenhouse, but still lots of work to hopefully get durian to grow here where the soil is so bad.  Eh...what else do I have to do?!