Author Topic: Kumquat yield  (Read 1276 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Kumquat yield
« on: October 10, 2022, 03:31:31 PM »
I find information about size and taste of different Kumquat varieties, but no information about differences in yield.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Kumquat yield
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 06:16:39 PM »
I have  four of the kumquat varieties, marumi, meiwa, nagami and fukushu.  They all seem to produce about the same .

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 08:42:46 PM »
I agree, the total yield in terms of crop weight is about the same.  Nordmann nagami yields the most fruits for me but they are smaller.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »
Millet.  How would you compare the taste of each variety of kumquat.  Sour vs Sweet of each.  I got my first production of Fukushu kumquats.  They were sour and juicy but not as sour as Nagami.  My Meiwa fruits could be picked from half green to full orange according to how much sour I wanted.  My Meiwa trees are extremely hard to grow.  My Fukushu tree is much easier.  I do not have either Nagami or Marumi.

Picture of Fukushu on Flying dragon at 2 years old since bud expansion.  shows how well Fukushu grows

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »
Meiwa is sweetest.  Fukushu and Marumi are more tart but still sweet.  Nagami (including Nordmann) is more sour but still rather sweet if you wait until they are fully ripe.  Nagami types are a bit more astringent and sometimes have a soapy taste, but they are still fantastic and one of my favorite citrus.  I think all four are really good, and anybody who likes kumquats should try them all.

One important thing I've noticed is that for fukushu & marumi, the smaller fruits are better.  As they grow large, sometimes to the size of chicken eggs, they become more bland.  The smaller fruits are better for these.  While for Nagami types, because they are so sour, the larger fruits are sweeter and more preferable.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 09:09:46 PM »
Thanks Brian

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 12:23:22 AM »
I also can agree, that Fukushu are reall deliciuos, nagami once I got store bought and they were sour and bitter, then I got a nagami tree on my own and I harvested fully ripe and I found also very sweet and delicious fruit.
Meiwa I still hadn' t ripe fruits and Marumi I don' t have a plant.

r

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 11:41:41 AM »
I agree that home grown Nagami can be much sweeter than the store bought ones, as you said because they are sometimes picked too early

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 07:46:38 PM »
ALL market citrus is picked too soon.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 08:55:43 PM »
I grow only meiwa  but tried nagami too. Meiwa is sweeter and can be picked up green as well, still sweet. My 7 gal is producing non stop. I like it!
Ana
Ana

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 09:29:19 PM »
Nagami sometimes has a slight soap taste if not totally ripe, haven't seen this in other kumquats.  However... seedless goes a long way and Nordmann is always seedless. 

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 01:36:51 AM »
@ Flgarden " I grow only meiwa  but tried nagami too" -  I have this fruit season first meiwas, still not ripe yet, but had last year already fukushu kumquats, which I found really delicious, very good balance sour/sweet and minimal bitterness, I also could very much recommend fukushu kumquat.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 01:56:45 AM »
Which one is bigger than most others, really round, and really sweet? I got a meiwa and it's oblong and not as sweet, but I'm not sure if it's because of a first year issue or plant mix up

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
Which one is bigger than most others, really round, and really sweet? I got a meiwa and it's oblong and not as sweet, but I'm not sure if it's because of a first year issue or plant mix up

You probably have nagami. They are not sweet. My meiwa was a pencil thick and already produced sweet fruit.
Ana
Ana

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »
Rispa, the Meiwa is really round and sweet.