Author Topic: Illama germination  (Read 4266 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Illama germination
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »
how to germinate Soncoya seeds?

My Soncoya took 6 months in a pot. No treatment.
-Josh

Geeth

• Ceylon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »
how to germinate Soncoya seeds?

My Soncoya took 6 months in a pot. No treatment.
8) It's been a month since I planted the seeds. Then it will be a while..
 Thanks for informed!!

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2021, 05:50:54 AM »
I planted 12 Ilama seeds from last year and over 100 fresh seeds this year, I soaked seeds in Ga3 solution at 225ppm overnight. 
Almost 2 months from planting my results have been that only 1 seed from last year has sprouted while about a third of the fresh seeds have popped. I left one tray of fresh (30) seeds untreated as my control. None of the untreated seeds have popped.

As for the tree which the seed came from, its planted on private property and the owners/ renters are impolite not wanting to help a fruit collector. I have only been able to get fruit off the ground , I am not willing to cut scions from their tree. So i will have some seedling trees in future but unfortunately  scion wood not at this point.

As for the location of the tree the friend who showed me asked to keep it secret so I will stay true to his request.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:53:04 AM by FMfruitforest »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2023, 07:17:28 PM »
None of the seeds I planted immediately in 2021 sprouted and they eventually rotted.  I just got a new batch from Raul, I am going to try Brad's suggestion this time.  I am putting them in a closet to "age" dry and I'll try planting them next summer.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2024, 09:13:30 PM »
Add garden supply diatomaceous earth, against grain weevils.  Store seeds in paper bag.
Har

zwanif

• algeria
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2024, 07:37:08 AM »
I'm. Planting tons of seeds now
Some reticulatas from Sri Lanka (I don't know Wich variety they have they call ramphal)
Atemoyas also ppc one
Sugar apples red and green ones
Another reticulata and Illma
I just potted them in small pots and made sure to cover them with plastic and I will. Give them plenty of time some seeds are fast some are not
Happens with all seeds of any tree
You need to be patient
Why I'm tellin you that is that in some tropical region they just threw seeds in the ground and they grow to full trees
People should understand that if you make it difficult it will get difficult

VOLANT007

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2024, 08:43:27 PM »
I havent sprouted that many of these seeds but the ones I did all sprouted after sitting dry for over a year.  Then I put them in small pots of dirt and within 2 weeks thry all sprouted, every single one.  Cherimoyas Ive done hundreds of and they pretty much give 100% germination also after sitting dry for a year then planting.

Seems unnecssary to me but whatever floats peoples boats.

I think most people would prefer getting seeds to sprout quickly with the use of ga3, not waiting an entire year. 

zwanif

• algeria
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2024, 12:16:47 PM »
I havent sprouted that many of these seeds but the ones I did all sprouted after sitting dry for over a year.  Then I put them in small pots of dirt and within 2 weeks thry all sprouted, every single one.  Cherimoyas Ive done hundreds of and they pretty much give 100% germination also after sitting dry for a year then planting.

Seems unnecssary to me but whatever floats peoples boats.
ihave currently many in small dirt pots reticulatas atemoyas and sugar apples and graviolas
i covered them with plastic because we have a lot of weather swings this year  what do you think??,

zwanif

• algeria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2024, 12:21:19 PM »
None of the seeds I planted immediately in 2021 sprouted and they eventually rotted.  I just got a new batch from Raul, I am going to try Brad's suggestion this time.  I am putting them in a closet to "age" dry and I'll try planting them next summer.
got some seeds from raul he sauid they are from 2023 season should i plant them directly ????

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2024, 01:33:54 PM »
Tonmake the seeds sprout use a heat mat and keep them wet.  Thats all I know. 
Brad Spaugh

zwanif

• algeria
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2024, 05:27:03 AM »
I received some ilama seeds from a forum member in early April, they haven't sprouted yet.  They still look fine, though, haven't rotted.  I have had various seeds take 6mo or more to germinate.

I already had soursop seeds around the same time and they all sprouted fairly quickly but they were on a heat mat.  By the time I got the ilama I just left all the unsprouted seeds outside. 

I scarified them with sandpaper a bit, and planted all immediately
so we need to be patient

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 07:04:53 AM »
I harvested green illama at 2022. and i forgot them until last month. they were in the ziperbag. well dryed.
last month, I put in the ziperbag with little wet soil. after one week, they are 90% germinated.
I don't know why green illama germination rate is high.

grant5185

• Sebastian, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 08:53:23 PM »
I recently had good germination success with some ilama seeds. First i cracked open the seed slightly with some pliers, just enough to break the seal. I then soaked for about 10 hrs in a weak GA3 solution (eyeballed it but less than 600ppm). Rinsed and continued soaking in fresh water for another 10-12 hours. Stuck all the seeds in a big pot and have almost every one of those little guys coming up now after only 3 weeks!. I believe freshness of seeds is the biggest factor of germination success.

I had the same experience - I’m guessing 80% germinated.   
I wiped the seeds down w peroxide-and then dried off.   Used pliers to crack seed seal.  Used ice cube tray w distilled water and Ga3 500ppm to soak- I weighted the seeds down w under a half inch stainless nut so they would stay submersed.   I think the pos pressure of the water really pushes the GA3 in.   I soak them until they won’t float.    Then put them in promix that’s slightly moist, in a sealed Tupperware container , on a heat mat at 79 degrees.   All that were going to germinate did so within 21 days.

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2024, 02:49:47 PM »
I recently had good germination success with some ilama seeds. First i cracked open the seed slightly with some pliers, just enough to break the seal. I then soaked for about 10 hrs in a weak GA3 solution (eyeballed it but less than 600ppm). Rinsed and continued soaking in fresh water for another 10-12 hours. Stuck all the seeds in a big pot and have almost every one of those little guys coming up now after only 3 weeks!. I believe freshness of seeds is the biggest factor of germination success.

I had the same experience - I’m guessing 80% germinated.   
I wiped the seeds down w peroxide-and then dried off.   Used pliers to crack seed seal.  Used ice cube tray w distilled water and Ga3 500ppm to soak- I weighted the seeds down w under a half inch stainless nut so they would stay submersed.   I think the pos pressure of the water really pushes the GA3 in.   I soak them until they won’t float.    Then put them in promix that’s slightly moist, in a sealed Tupperware container , on a heat mat at 79 degrees.   All that were going to germinate did so within 21 days.

I just checked on my Ilama seeds which I planted 3.5 months ago, and none have germinated. They look shiny and healthy, no mold or anything, so I assume they’re still viable. Would it still be worth it to crack the seeds like you did, or at this point is it better to just let ‘em ride?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2024, 09:02:53 PM »
Ilamas like a few species play a few tricks. Sometimes GA3 works great on a batch sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes fresh seeds all germinate and sometimes they don't, sometimes they take a few weeks and sometimes they pop up after 3 years. Sfter time in the fridge of months on the shelf germination may be higher of lower. BTW don't let the weevils get them in dry storage all together. The only certainty seems to be confusion. If you planted a pot of seeds and 6 months later there is not germination action some intervention can help. Stir them around or get some light on them and then things can change.