Author Topic: Che, medlar, arbutus trees  (Read 1532 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Che, medlar, arbutus trees
« on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:22 AM »
Does anyone have and of these plants as rooted cuttings or seedlings?

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Re: Che, medlar, arbutus trees
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 12:24:46 PM »
I will trim my che in a month and could trade cuttings with you.
I have male and female of unknown variety (fruited, very good), and norris has not fruited yet.
Ana
Ana

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:35:29 PM »
Thanks! I've tried rooting che before but failed. Pushed good growth and I thought I had it but no...anyways will try again. Let me know when you're ready.
Trying to grow it all!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 05:37:26 PM »
I have male and female of unknown variety (fruited, very good), and norris has not fruited yet.
Ana
Did the fruit have seeds?
I would like to buy/trade for some cuttings when you trim

thanks

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 05:41:04 PM »
Ana
Did the fruit have seeds?
I would like to buy/trade for some cuttings when you trim

thanks
The one that fruited has seeds. Norris is supposed to be seedless.
I am not sure i will have that many cuttings but i will pm you if i have.
Ana
Ana

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »
I didn't think any of them are seedless if there is a male?
How big are the seeds? Were the fruit enjoyable with the seeds?

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
I didn't think any of them are seedless if there is a male?
How big are the seeds? Were the fruit enjoyable with the seeds?
Some of them do not set fruit without male around. The seedless one should be able to do it but if male is around they will have seeds.
I found their seeds easy to chew compare with passion fruit that I can't eat with seeds or some guava seeds are too hard for me. With che fruit is being chewy, seeds are not possible to separate from flesh.
Ana
Ana

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 07:46:42 AM »
I believe I have a Norris and another unknown Che variety. The Norris has fruited but has seeds. I do have a male also but have never seen any flowers on it.
Regarding dealing with the seeds ..... after eating a few I figured out how to separate them in my mouth while extracting the pulp and then discarding the seed.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:37:32 AM »
Do you want arbutus seeds? There's 'Marina' fruit now, and I might be able to find some unedo around town.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 05:14:40 PM »
I'd be into some seeds for sure. Just in case cuttings don't work out. Are they a dioecious species?
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 12:08:08 PM »
Bump. Did manage getting some Norris cuttings from a generous member. Hopefully I'll get them successfully rooted. Would still be into a few male cuttings or other female varieties.

Still looking for the other stuff still as well. Might have a connection going for arbutus seeds at some point. Very interested to grow these.
Trying to grow it all!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 02:10:25 PM »
Bump. Did manage getting some Norris cuttings from a generous member. Hopefully I'll get them successfully rooted. Would still be into a few male cuttings or other female varieties.

Still looking for the other stuff still as well. Might have a connection going for arbutus seeds at some point. Very interested to grow these.

Arbutus unedo is very commonly grown as a landscape specimen here in Seattle. When fully ripe, it has a nice enough flavor, but the texture is kind of... mushy? My wife isn't a fan of the fruit, but my oldest kid (12) and one year-old both enjoy them. I'm happy to snack on them even though they aren't my favorite, but haven't planted one myself because they are easy to collect along sidewalks and public parking lots. I've noticed a slight laxative effect if you eat more than a handful in one sitting, but nothing severe.

I could probably find you some small seedlings that are just going to be mowed, next to a hedge of them growing on public school grounds nearby, but I'm not sure how well they would handle being dug up and shipped cross-country.

I assume you were referring to A. unedo, but Arbutus menziesii (madrona) is native and common here, and I could probably still find dried berries from the fall hanging on if you wanted those seeds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:24:21 PM by drymifolia »

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 10:42:00 AM »
Hi, did you ever find medlar? I just ordered a box of the fruit to try, and may grow the seeds.

There's little information about whether medlar grows well in FL, but it seems to be related to loquats which do very well here.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 12:26:46 PM »
I have a couple grafted Che trees available. The variety is seedless and self-fertile, from Edible Landscaping in Virginia. PM me if interested.

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 12:56:13 AM »
I'm trying to grow medlar. One of the difficulties with medlar is how long is takes seeds to germinate....

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 01:46:42 AM »
I have Che seedlings and medlar seeds available. I have 2 varieties of medlar and macrocarpa is very good and they ripen on the tree

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 03:04:07 PM »
Hi, did you ever find medlar? I just ordered a box of the fruit to try, and may grow the seeds.

There's little information about whether medlar grows well in FL, but it seems to be related to loquats which do very well here.

How awesome, where did you order medlar fruit from? Please update after you get to try them!

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 06:20:15 PM »

How awesome, where did you order medlar fruit from? Please update after you get to try them!

Skipley Farm on Etsy, https://www.etsy.com/listing/1438745416/medlar-trees-spring-mespilus-zke
Still waiting for it to ship...

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 11:42:57 PM »
Is Che worth growing? I've never had it or seen it.

Skipley Farm on Etsy, https://www.etsy.com/listing/1438745416/medlar-trees-spring-mespilus-zke

I have 2 trees from Skipley's, waiting for them to break dormancy in my garage but will probably have to wait until spring. I am going to attempt to crossbreed with them with Hawthorns.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 01:24:53 PM »

I have 2 trees from Skipley's, waiting for them to break dormancy in my garage but will probably have to wait until spring. I am going to attempt to crossbreed with them with Hawthorns.

I’ve had the opportunity to try Che once and it was mailed to me. Many of the fruit were either over ripe soft and passed its prime but the few that I did eat and shared with my children we thought were delicious.

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 01:43:19 PM »

I’ve had the opportunity to try Che once and it was mailed to me. Many of the fruit were either over ripe soft and passed its prime but the few that I did eat and shared with my children we thought were delicious.

:-[ Yet another tree I need to plant this spring... will it ever end?   :-[

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 07:56:03 PM »
I have Che seedlings and medlar seeds available. I have 2 varieties of medlar and macrocarpa is very good and they ripen on the tree

What are you wanting for the seeds and seedlings?
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 08:10:52 PM »
Did manage to get che cuttings many months ago but again failed at rooting them. Had seeds once too but no luck either. Definitely want to grow it if anyone ever has rooted cuttings of a self fertile variety or a male to go with the female. I'm always down to try rooting but since I've had no success with che I'd certainly just buy already rooted plants too.

Did manage to get some sprouts of the arbutus marina variety from the seeds NateTheGreat sent. Unfortunately rats took a liking to them and eventually screwed them all up. No matter how many rats or mice you take out around here there's always more that show up. Guess it comes with having deer feed and chicken feed around. Easy pickings for them to thrive on. Unfortunately they like lots of various seeds and seedlings too...

Still looking to round up all 3 of these species.
Trying to grow it all!

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 01:36:19 AM »
Is there any particular cultivar/variety of Che I should look for, especially in the South?