Author Topic: Davidson's Plum  (Read 12019 times)

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
Re: Davidson's Plum
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
This plum is three years old, about 6 feet tall , started to flowering last year, this is the second to flower but do not bare fruit so far. Anyone has ideas to help bare fruit?

Rock

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »
I'm almost in the same boat as you fruithunter, except mine doesn't even flower.  It looks nice and green but no flowers, I guess I should hit it with K when I put it out in the late spring.  During the winter it is crowded with other plants and doesn't get watered as frequently.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »
here is a pic of my 3-4yo tree. Had a look at the trunk and its got a few flowers both on trunk and up in the new growth

Now, to convince it to hold at least one fruit, as once they start, they dont stop.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
Hi BMc,

I hope you get some fruits. Those leaves look mighty prickly!

Tomas

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
its actually a luxurious velvet coat. Its not spiky at all. i'd imagine its irritant to a few, but i'm not among their number.

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Thomas -

Have you found a source for Davidson's Plums here in the US?  I've been looking with no luck.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
Hi MarkoS,

Sadhu in Puerto Rico (www.organicfarm.net) has seeds. Good luck!

Tomas

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
My Davidsons are in full direct sunlight. Would that affect fruiting? The trees and leaves seem happy, not at all burned.

Interesting. mate of mine growing in full sun but I still reckon they prefer shade. Hmmm now i am betting its species dependent I moved mine due to sun burn but Iam growing a different one to him. DOn't ask me which. I will email my mate now and ask him.

Davidson's Plum has got to be one of the sourest fruits on the planet. They look exactly like a blue gage plum.

They make fantastic jelly and ice cream
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
Apparently they crop better if they get a bit of full sun.The wild fruit I have sampled have been pretty sour but with some variety in acidity and flavor.Besides people at Millaa Millaa with a collection of forms of davidson plums (sell fruit for  bush tucker) a colleague of a chum also has a collection of D.jerseyanas and D.prurians from different locations and has some with larger and more palatable fruit.He reckons prurians could easily be divided into 3 subspecies with one northern upland type having great fruit and a small tree.He has some precocious trees fruiting at a small size.I am chasing seeds of his better ones but he is reluctant to part with them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
My Davidsons are in full direct sunlight. Would that affect fruiting? The trees and leaves seem happy, not at all burned.

Interesting. mate of mine growing in full sun but I still reckon they prefer shade. Hmmm now i am betting its species dependent I moved mine due to sun burn but Iam growing a different one to him. DOn't ask me which. I will email my mate now and ask him.

Davidson's Plum has got to be one of the sourest fruits on the planet. They look exactly like a blue gage plum.

Davidson plum more sour than bilimbi? That would be hard to believe or imagine!
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »

Davidson plum more sour than bilimbi? That would be hard to believe or imagine!

More acidic them camu camu?  ???

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
They can make your head rock back on your shoulders when you take a bite. They make a nice wine that I'd call a real palette cleanser.
If you leave them to soften they can lose a lot of the sourness. I only had two from the last crop - by the time I made it out to the farm to check on them they were mostly beetle infested already  :-[