Author Topic: Favorite Banana Variety?  (Read 21589 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Banana Variety?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »
Save yourself some trouble.  Unless you are interested in growing bananas that stick together and have very little edible flesh propotionately to others.....don't waste your time with Praying Hands.  Looks good, but is lousy as far as overall eating quality.  The only one it it better than is Thousand Fingers. And that isn't saying very much.

I thought the Praying Hands tasted pretty good. It was like banana pudding/custard inside of a banana. It was one of the only three banana trees I actually chose to grow before I chopped them all down because they are too messy.
gonna have to agree with shee, I mean murahilin here....while they may be a little more difficult to get into, the flavor and quality of preying hands is pretty darn good.

Thousand Fingers...I would consider this more of an ornamental.  While it may be edible its greater feature is ornamental in nature with a stalk of thousand(s), hence the name, of tiny bananas that can get to 4, 5 or even 6 feet long.
- Rob

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 12:14:22 AM »
before I chopped them all down because they are too messy.
What!?! Why would you do that!?! Free bananas yo!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
I thought the Praying Hands tasted pretty good. It was like banana pudding/custard inside of a banana. It was one of the only three banana trees I actually chose to grow before I chopped them all down because they are too messy.

gonna have to agree with shee, I mean murahilin here....while they may be a little more difficult to get into, the flavor and quality of preying hands is pretty darn good.

Thousand Fingers...I would consider this more of an ornamental.  While it may be edible its greater feature is ornamental in nature with a stalk of thousand(s), hence the name, of tiny bananas that can get to 4, 5 or even 6 feet long.

Seems most collectors (because of its very interesting fruiting habit) do begin with this banana.........most with any space limitations eventually move on to something better.  Murahilin chopped it down and Rob.....did you ever actually plant it out?  Too many better choices out there to grow for the space that Praying Hands takes up.  Sorry, I am stuck on the flavor being second class......quanity of flesh to eat and difficulty getting to it makes this a loser in my book.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
Seems most collectors (because of its very interesting fruiting habit) do begin with this banana.........most with any space limitations eventually move on to something better.  Murahilin chopped it down and Rob.....did you ever actually plant it out?  Too many better choices out there to grow for the space that Praying Hands takes up.  Sorry, I am stuck on the flavor being second class......quanity of flesh to eat and difficulty getting to it makes this a loser in my book.

I am sorry I forgot to make sure my taste buds agreed with yours before I posted.  :(

I have only tasted around 15 or so different bananas, not much compared to the amount listed in Keppler's banana book, but I still stand by my opinion that the Praying Hands is one of my favorite tasting bananas. The texture adds to the flavor because it reminds me of a firmer banana pudding. That is probably a poor description.

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

I am sorry I forgot to make sure my taste buds agreed with yours before I posted.  :(

I have only tasted around 15 or so different bananas, not much compared to the amount listed in Keppler's banana book, but I still stand by my opinion that the Praying Hands is one of my favorite tasting bananas. The texture adds to the flavor because it reminds me of a firmer banana pudding. That is probably a poor description.

My praying hands produced a lot of fruit and there was a lot of flesh.    But it didn't taste as good as Ice Cream.

No-one commented on the cold tolerance of red bananas? I'm feeling neglected  :-[

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
I like Blue Java (Ice Cream.)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
My experience has been that the reds, in general, are too tropical and are the least cold tolerant.  Died off every winter and pups in containers went in the garage during cold snaps.  Decided there was no point growing something if I can't get fruit.  I started out with Red Iholene, Gran Nain X Sumatrana, Red Kru, Siam Ruby and Ensete Maurelii.  Stopped growing all except the Maurelii and the Siam potted.  Gave the rest to the cousin in Homestead where they thrive.
Dan

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
I grow 6 types right now including some of the older ones like the Orinoco and dwarf cavendis. I have been told that one ot the best tasting ones comes from Africa and is called Ibota Ibota. Would like to get one if anyone knows where to find them. My favorite in the Ice Cream at the present.

natsgarden123

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
My experience has been that the reds, in general, are too tropical and are the least cold tolerant.  Died off every winter and pups in containers went in the garage during cold snaps.  Decided there was no point growing something if I can't get fruit.  I started out with Red Iholene, Gran Nain X Sumatrana, Red Kru, Siam Ruby and Ensete Maurelii.  Stopped growing all except the Maurelii and the Siam potted.  Gave the rest to the cousin in Homestead where they thrive.

Thanks for your opinion.
This is the first time I have planted a red-its up against a fence so maybe it has a chance, if not, Ill plant something else there next year.

I planted a musa saba plaintain and its going to be huge-has anyone tasted it?

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
btw golden pillow has also been called goldfinger...

very similar to silk fig, but richer flavor, even more of a pillow texture, simply divine...small bananas than silk fig unfortunately

The Goldfinger I am familiar with is the name now given to the FHIA 1 banana.  It is an excellent banana.....very productive and with extremely stout, strong pseudostems.  Is the Golden Pillow the same thing or do we have multiple Godfingers? Here are some shots of mine.

Those look quite similar... the outside of them is very similar in texture to manzano (silk fig), but mine seem to be a bit more short and fat... but quite similar... maybe there are a couple different golf fingers/pillows.... I call them golden pillow cause the texture is what gets me everytime.... such a pleasure to bite into, so soft... and the flavor is richer than manzano

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
I forgive you....try not to let it happen again.  I know you are capable of better. :)

The texture adds to the flavor because it reminds me of a firmer banana pudding. That is probably a poor description.
See, you finally said something on this subject I can whole heartedly agree with. :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »
I have a red banana planted ( not sure what variety) - but I heard that they are more cold sensitive than the other varieties.  Does anyone have experience with this?

And my favorite is ice cream
I have a red variety, which I have heard called Jamaican Red or Cuban Red, depending on whom you are talking to.....Jamaicans or Cubans......mine is no more and no less cold tolerant than the rest of my bananas.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
I have a red banana planted ( not sure what variety) - but I heard that they are more cold sensitive than the other varieties.  Does anyone have experience with this?

And my favorite is ice cream
I have a red variety, which I have heard called Jamaican Red or Cuban Red, depending on whom you are talking to.....Jamaicans or Cubans......mine is no more and no less cold tolerant than the rest of my bananas.

I agree, my Cuban Red bananas have been no less tolerant than the rest of my bananas. As long as there isnt a frost they are fine.
- David Antonio Garcia

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
My current top 3 from my yard.
Gran Nain

Namwa

Blue Java (Ice Cream)

In line waiting to join (or re-join) the list once one of those bunches gets ripe and eaten, Manzano, Raja Puri, Jamaican Red, Gros Michel, FHIA 17.

Here is my Jamaican Red from earlier this year. The one or two nights last winter that the temps dropped just under 30, didn't do much damage except for the upper most leaves.

The Red would be on my list of top three right now, except some wind storm came thru a month or so ago, and blew the biggest over and broke it just above ground level. It was a couple leaves away from pushing out a flower.

DM

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi DM,

That's very clever of you, using PVC pipes to support your nanners 8) Here, we use a metal pole with a U, on top, as support for them nanners ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »
Hi DM,

That's very clever of you, using PVC pipes to support your nanners 8) Here, we use a metal pole with a U, on top, as support for them nanners ;)

Steven, wish I could take the credit for the PVC support idea, but I got the info from here (about halfway down, section 4):
http://webebananas.com/culture.html

This way forms a tri-pod with the trunk, which is stable from all directions (good against winds and dogs chasing each other around the plants). But the wide stance does take up more room than a single pole.

Update to my top 3, my Blue Jave (Ice Cream) isn't a Blue Java, but a Pisang Awak.
And I now have a Raja Puri and Manzano flowering also (so I have a top 5).

DM

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Hi DM,

Steven, wish I could take the credit for the PVC support idea, but I got the info from here (about halfway down, section 4):
http://webebananas.com/culture.html

This way forms a tri-pod with the trunk, which is stable from all directions (good against winds and dogs chasing each other around the plants). But the wide stance does take up more room than a single pole.

Update to my top 3, my Blue Jave (Ice Cream) isn't a Blue Java, but a Pisang Awak.
And I now have a Raja Puri and Manzano flowering also (so I have a top 5).

DM

DM,
Nonetheless, I saw this first from you...so, you take the credit from me :)

Thanks a bunch for sharing this site...I learnt a bunch of new stuff 8) Never knew we could divide a corm like a potato :o

The PVC pipes does take some space, though, as long as it keep them nanners up there safe and sound...it's all good :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
My all time has to be the Fe'i also (fehi).  Not sure of the variety.  Then again it may have been the setting. 

While traveling with friends in Tahiti we picked up some deep red fe'i bananas at the central market.  We were told to bake them (unpeeled) and have them as deserts.  The insides orange and one of the sweetest bananas I ever tasted.

I understand that they fruit grows upright, so very ornamental.  While it's been attempted, I've been told the fe'i do not grow in Florida.  Unless someone here ...

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

I agree, my Cuban Red bananas have been no less tolerant than the rest of my bananas. As long as there isnt a frost they are fine.

I'm not expert in bananas at all... but my guess is that this discrepancy may be caused by how the reds do take prolonged cold. For some climate this may be as important as absolute cold hardiness.
If they were hardy at least like a dwarf cavendish it would be awesome.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 03:22:43 AM »

Peter Salleras who has an amazing tropical fruit farm at Mission Beach visited me today and he gave me some bananas that were too ripe to send to Sydney.Dakar,ceylon pisang and the pale strain of ducasse fetch the highest prices in cashed up circles down south.He tossed in a few of a really sweet malay apple as well.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 03:47:46 AM »
Sorry I forgot to mention the pale lady finger bananas on the bottom and next to the bells in the pic.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Excellent looking bunches, those bananas size up so much the skin can't keep up huh? What's that one called? 
Tim

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
Of the 20 or so varieties I've tasted, the ones in the Mysore subgroup (Mysore, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek) are my favorites.  Incredibly sweet-tart, fruity flavor.  They have much more acidity than any of the others that have been mentioned so far.  Their biggest down side is that the fruit are small -- smaller than Manzano.

FYI, Golden Pillow is in the same subgroup as Manzano, the Silk subgroup, definitely not the same thing as Goldfinger.  Goldfinger has a peel thickness on par with Cavendish from the supermarket and similar size fruit.  Golden Pillow should have a thin peel and similar size as Manzano/Silk Fig etc.  Golden Pillow is described as being similar to Manzano but without the horrible astringency when not fully ripe, but I haven't been fortunate enough to try it yet.  Sounds like a winner.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Tim the small ones bustin' outa their skins are pisang ceylon.The orange ones are red dakar and before they are ripe they are brown/red.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
Ventura, have you tried Dwarf Brazilian?! In Kleper's banana book it is described as one of the tastiest cultivars... Since I read the book, I'm day and night looking for this cultivar.. LOL