Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 22931 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2021, 08:37:14 PM »
Here was my M-4 the night before the 36° frost visited.

While some trees did get light frost on them, I'm guessing this one didn't. Here's the tree twelve days afterwards:

And now it's got pea-sized fruit. Alas, the tree is only two years in the ground, so these will be coming off this weekend.

My Pickerings all bloomed after the frost. Neelam is just breaking buds.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2021, 09:36:13 PM »
My guess is that the extreme cold likely bit a lot of people who don’t realize it yet. Cold damaged flowers and panicles often don’t reveal themselves immediately but will show in the form of panicles in “suspended animation” that never seem to finish expanding properly. The flowers will start to dry out before they even open in most cases and some that manage to open are rendered staminate. The early crop will probably be poor in most of the state outside the coastal zone.

Between this and the rainfall in some areas, the overall crop size might not reach the lofty heights that it was appearing it would. Maybe more of a 2015-size season than 2009.

On our end there are a few varieties that I was really hopeful to see fruit this year that look like they’ll once again do nothing (mostly central/North Indian/Pakistani varieties). As cold as it got in January, we had enough interruptions to the cold fronts to result in something less than a full bloom, and now that it’s basically summer again here anything that didn’t initiate weeks ago is now going to go vegetative.

Around how low of temperatures can mango flowers withstand and still bear fruit?

Also, how much of a factor does rain, moisture, and dew point present regarding fruit set, drop?

Thanks Alex and other mango masters!

I’m sure humidity plays a big role. I remember measuring ground temps in the high 20s one particular day in Loxahatchee some years ago. I thought for sure the bloom would be toast but it had rained quite a bit the few days before and I hadn’t mowed the place in a while. Ended up with no damage.

I think once it’s 32F for any extended time they’re usually done for. Mid-30s is the gray area because they can still be damaged but end up opening some flowers and setting fruit.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »
My M4 lost its early flowers to the frost last month, it is flowering again.  I was out looking for scions on some other varieties for a friend and when I walked by the M4 was surprised to see the new growth was not leaves but flowers.  Perhaps I will get some M4 this year afterall.  I took a minute to check out other trees that had failed in the first go-around and the Carrie also has a couple of flowers pushing.

Anyone else getting a second round of flowering? 

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »
My M4 lost its early flowers to the frost last month, it is flowering again.  I was out looking for scions on some other varieties for a friend and when I walked by the M4 was surprised to see the new growth was not leaves but flowers.  Perhaps I will get some M4 this year afterall.  I took a minute to check out other trees that had failed in the first go-around and the Carrie also has a couple of flowers pushing.

Seen it on Julie, Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosa, Sugarloaf, Mapulehu, Edward, Arka Neelkiran and various other trees. Our Julie’s first bloom was disaffected by cold so appears it may have close to a full second bloom now.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2021, 07:00:28 PM »
Neelam has decided to bloom  It's going to be 68° tonight and 48 degrees tomorrow night.With five days of temperature  below 60 that follow. And it's raining

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:22:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »
Neelam has decided to bloom  It's going to be 68° tonight and 48 degrees tomorrow night.With five days of temperature  below 60 that follow. And it's raining

Can I infer from you post that you expect the weather over the next few days to encourage even more mango to bloom? Several nights of "low" temperature with sufficient moisture .....

I hope you are right :)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2021, 09:08:41 PM »
Found about 5 ripe Edward fruit today on the ground:

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
Yummy, fruits are looking good man, how did it taste?

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »

Good by March mango standards. They’ll be a lot better in 4 weeks though.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »

Good by March mango standards. They’ll be a lot better in 4 weeks though.
I call dibs on the next 30 lb that fall to the ground :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Partial rebloom of about 1/4 to 1/5 of trees is evident blooming on some and some are just getting new bloom bud growth again. The amount of bloom per tree is less than first time bloom on a per tree basis.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
I’ve been eating the first crop from my Rosigold for a couple of days now. It’s its second year fruiting and while I was happy with it last year, I think it’s a little better this year (or I just haven’t had a decent mango is a while). It isn’t knock you socks off amazing but I’m still really happy with this little tree! Who else is getting mangoes?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
Great pics everyone, jealous of all of you that are getting ripe mangoes so early in the season...sorry for the people that lost blooms during the winter frost.

I do not have any of the new and fancy varieties, just have some of the old original tried and true varieties.

Several weeks ago...

Glenn mango

Maha

Cogshall

Keitt...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2021, 05:36:02 PM »
Those look real nice Pug; I would be happy to feast upon any of them.

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
Had my first early mango of the season, there was a lonely mystery mango that was almost ripe, all the other mangoes on the tree are still a few weeks out, I think.

When I first tried these, I mistakenly ate them all yellow, which I did not like. Too sweet and floral. I spoke to someone not that long ago about this variety and he said to try it mostly green. Luckily, I caught this one in time. I like it much better this way (mostly green).  I am happy to have discovered this since the house we bought has a mature NDM tree with lots of fruit. 😋

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:25:02 PM by sumognat »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2021, 12:57:03 AM »
Had my first early mango of the season, there was a lonely Nam Doc Mai mango that was almost ripe, all the other mangoes on the tree are still a few weeks out, I think.

When I first tried these, I mistakenly ate them all yellow, which I did not like. Too sweet and floral. I spoke to someone not that long ago about this variety and he said to try it mostly green. Luckily, I caught this one in time. I like it much better this way (mostly green).  I am happy to have discovered this since the house we bought has a mature NDM tree with lots of fruit. 😋

Doesn’t look like Nam Doc Mai. Might be a Carabao

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2021, 02:03:23 PM »

Thanks roblack! Can't wait till they are ready, I lose about 70% of my mangoes to squirrels, racoons, rabbits, you name it they eat them  >:(...I will be placing the produce clamshells when they get more mature, it doesn't stop them, but it does slow them down a little  :o

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »

Thanks roblack! Can't wait till they are ready, I lose about 70% of my mangoes to squirrels, racoons, rabbits, you name it they eat them  >:(...I will be placing the produce clamshells when they get more mature, it doesn't stop them, but it does slow them down a little  :o
70%?  Yikes!  You've got too many critters there.
John

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2021, 03:35:35 PM »
Had my first early mango of the season, there was a lonely Nam Doc Mai mango that was almost ripe, all the other mangoes on the tree are still a few weeks out, I think.

Alex, 

Wow!  You think so? I didn’t know what variety it was when we bought the house, just tried to narrow it down based on taste and fruit size/shape. Here are some better pictures.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »

We have a raccoon that is all over our mango and lychee trees during the daytime. Saw him out there around 12pm today. Is that normal? I thought these guys only came out at night?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:59 PM »

Alex, 

Wow!  You think so? I didn’t know what variety it was when we bought the house, just tried to narrow it down based on taste and fruit size/shape. Here are some better pictures.

100% not Nam Doc Mai. But need more pics of the fruit to ID. Could also just be a random seedling.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2021, 07:28:45 PM »

Alex, 

What does it taste like when fully ripe?  Citrus?  Non-descript mango?
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Should be a good year here. My favorites (lemon zest, sweet tart, fruit punch) are pretty loaded this year as well as many others:

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2021, 09:45:49 PM »

We have a raccoon that is all over our mango and lychee trees during the daytime. Saw him out there around 12pm today. Is that normal? I thought these guys only came out at night?

No that is not normal for them. From what I have seen they typically do that when they have lost their fear of people and competition for food drives them to feed outside of the normal pattern. Basically they are hungry and because people don't hunt them for food much any more they are not afraid of people seeing them. Oddly enough, racoon was actually the most frequently consumed mammal by the FL natives before the arrival of Europeans--even more common than deer.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »

70%?  Yikes!  You've got too many critters there.

John, I do!! My neighborhood around me have many large Oak trees and I'm very close to a State Park, we have deer daily, recorded a bear at a neighbor's driveway and even had a Florida panther too...one of them attacked one of my neighbors dog and eventually died  :'(  the squirrels  >:( though are my worst thieves and destroyer of my mango fruits and lychee (no fruit this year, though)